Does getting new glasses suck for anyone else for the first day or two?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know it isn't just me because my boyfriend says he has the same issue, but every time I get new glasses thinks look worse before they look better. I also suffer from vertigo issues and new glasses just exacerbates them. My old glasses were -really- old and I was well overdue for new ones, and I think that's half my problem in trying to get adjusted to these new ones. I have an astigmatism so my prescription is always changing. I haven't had new glasses for six years. Oops. It certainly isn't the end of the world but it sure is uncomfortable. Any one else have these issues when they get new glasses??

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've recently heard that optical dispensing is as much an art as a science. Some practitioners slightly under-prescribe to make the transition easier, some don't and a few slightly over-prescribe so your glasses will last you longer.

I expect you'll adjust in a few days. If not, you'd better go back to the optician.

My glasses are only for reading and I'm usually surprised how clear they make print seem when I get new ones but they've never made things worse.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It always takes me about a week when the Rx changes. It's best if you break new glasses in over a long weekend or vacation when you don't have to drive or do anything serious. (I always feel uncomfortable going up and down stairs until I get used to the new lenses.)

Yeh, I hate it. Last pair felt like one of my eyes was being sucked out the socket - took them back and turned out they'd made one lens too strong. D'oh. :p

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm nearsighted and my previous pair was abit too strong, initially giving me headaches and such joyous things when I drove at night and oncoming vehicles had their headlights on or just when looking at things which were too close. Guess those were made abit stronger than they should have been.

The pair I got a few months ago are much better and it seems my sight is stabilising so the prescription is a bit weaker than the old ones.

My parents insurance pays for new glasses/contacts every 2 years, so we've stuck to that, so as to not waste our premiums.

I use my pair from 3 prescriptions ago when I'm at home or using my laptop/cellphone, reading etc, and my optometrist said it wont damage my eyes, as it places less strain on my eyes than the actual pair.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My situation is similar to TMGs. I got new glasses last week after having my old ones for a lot longer than I should have. The optician was quite shocked when I told her how long it had been since my last eye-test. I have astigmatism so I should have been getting regular check-ups (which they never sent me reminders for!).

My new ones are bigger than my old ones (which can be seen in my gallery - I should probably post my new ones to compare), the frames are heavier and the prescription is a lot stronger so they were quite an adjustment. I'm now used to the stronger lenses but the heavy frames are still uncomfortable on my nose.

But they are better than my old ones and that's the important thing. You can't see it in my pics, but my old ones were so worn that one of the 'arms' had partly snapped off from general wear and tear so I had a sharp pointy bit digging into the side of my face.

The reason I took so long replacing them was cost of frames. I got the old ones through Medicare, but I wasn't sure if Medicare covered replacing frames and I'm unemployed so I couldn't afford to pay for them myself.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The worst ever new glasses were the extremely expensive progressives I was talked into about ten years ago. They made me sick to my stomach.

But it's not longer a problem since I had'em lasered. :smile:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh Meg it is not just you. I go through the same thing each time, and am DREADING this round as I have been overdue for as long as you were! lol
It always takes me about a week when the Rx changes. It's best if you break new glasses in over a long weekend or vacation when you don't have to drive or do anything serious. (I always feel uncomfortable going up and down stairs until I get used to the new lenses.)
I avoid stairs like the plague when I get new glasses. Being uncoordinated at the best of times, I feel i should not tempt fate,:biggrin1:
It's not really the new prescription lenses for me, it's the rigidity of the new frames.
Ugh I dislike that feeling as well. I get the flexi frame type due to the nature of my job, and that has helped tremendously. Of course my pocket book takes a greater hit...:frown1::redface:
Plus value for $$$ and length of use in years.
Always a balancing act. I need the more expensive frames (the others kept snapping and my Rx is so high that to do anything less than feather weight lenses would be insane. But that tends to deter me from getting new ones. Glasses can be very cost prohibitive!!:frown1:
Yeh, I hate it. Last pair felt like one of my eyes was being sucked out the socket - took them back and turned out they'd made one lens too strong. D'oh. :p
My friend H always complains about that sensation. I wonder if they are doing the same thing to hers?:confused:
My situation is similar to TMGs. I got new glasses last week after having my old ones for a lot longer than I should have. The optician was quite shocked when I told her how long it had been since my last eye-test. I have astigmatism so I should have been getting regular check-ups (which they never sent me reminders for!).

My new ones are bigger than my old ones (which can be seen in my gallery - I should probably post my new ones to compare), the frames are heavier and the prescription is a lot stronger so they were quite an adjustment. I'm now used to the stronger lenses but the heavy frames are still uncomfortable on my nose.

But they are better than my old ones and that's the important thing. You can't see it in my pics, but my old ones were so worn that one of the 'arms' had partly snapped off from general wear and tear so I had a sharp pointy bit digging into the side of my face.

The reason I took so long replacing them was cost of frames. I got the old ones through Medicare, but I wasn't sure if Medicare covered replacing frames and I'm unemployed so I couldn't afford to pay for them myself.
My last pair had snapped at the ends in a similar manner to yours, so I sympathize :frown1: My crap ass insurance won't pay for anything other than check up, so I was loather to go in, which is bad as my myopia is so severe that they are concerned about retinal detachment. But I haven't wanted ot even go in for the check up as I knew they would hound me to get new glasses. UGH! :mad:
Yes: I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl.
The absolute WORST of the side effects for me. I notice it more the smaller the frames, as it distorts things to the nth degree. But after a day the effect is halved, and then again, so by day three the worst is over. A week into it I am completely fine with the new lenses:biggrin1:

Autofellatio

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
As an undergraduate in the field of optics, I feel that it may be prudent to bring up some points:

- Regular eye checks (perhaps yearly for most people or half-yearly for the elderly) are advisable, regardless of whether you have astigmatism.
- Slight under-correction is sometimes done in lenses for short-sighted people (to slow the progression of the myopia), but never for long-sighted people as doing so would apply constant strain on the eyes.
- Yes, there will usually be a slight adaptation period to lenses. However, if you see double images or colored fringes around objects, get the prescription checked as it is probably wrong (these are prismatic effects).
- Progressive lenses can be tricky to dispense due to the precision needed; it is best to consult a qualified optician/optometrist for one rather than purchase one cheaply from any Tom, Dick, or Harry (the progressive lenses require precise centering of the lenses in front of the eyes - erroneous centration leads to side effects).

Generally, though, more people need to be aware that regular eye checks should be done (like dental checks). Even if you have perfect eyesight, conditions like glaucoma have insidious onsets - by the time symptoms manifest, there may already be permanent damage to the optic nerve (that causes irreversible tunnel vision).

I should probably also stress on the potential importance of consulting an eye care practitioner (ECP) that you are comfortable with, and who is competent as well as trustworthy. It is better to have follow-ups with such an ECP than to hop all over, since the ECP would have an easier time recognizing possible problems. Plus, he/she would be less inclined to con a regular customer XD