Does McCain have enough knowlege of Iraq?

D_Cyprius Slapwilly

Experimental Member
Media
Keep in mind... it was McCain who was one of the strongest proponents of a "surge", long before Bush... a surge that has proven successful. If anything, McCain can deal a way out of this best, not by pulling the plug. This isn't the Fall of Saigon, folks.

So if Barry is true to his ethics... are we going to pull all troops out of Germany (a la World War II) and South Korea (a la Korean conflict), much less Guantanamo. What a travesty butcher with zero sense of safety, he'll become.. in the name of both "a good global name for America" and "sizing back the US military". Mark my words.

We just need to taaaaaaaalk to Iran. Like Jimmy Carter taaaaaaaaaalks to Hamas. Idjit galoots.
That's the thing, though. The idea that the surge is working isn't universally agreed upon. First off, what is the goal of the surge? You can say that it is working because the violence is gown. Great, ok. But under that reasoning, Saddam Hussein was working pretty well, too, since none of this violence happened until we invaded in the first place. We're always winning the war so long as we have the sole power to keep moving the goal post.

But let's act like reducing violence IS our only goal in Iraq. Ok, great. But why is the violence dropping? It's easy to say that it's because of the surge because violence dropped after the surge was implemented. But then you're ignoring many of the other variables that have taken effect since the level of violence has dropped. The surge aside, a lot of things have changed - local Sunnis in Baghdad and other areas in the country began an anti-al Qaeda resurgence - not in support of the United States, but in retaliation against al Qaeda's civilian attacks, reckless violence, and attacks on Sunni leaders (not to mention their calls for a radical jihadist government that the Sunni insurgents wanted nothing to do with). It's the same way that many of the South Vietnamese took up arms to help the efforts of the National Liberation Front during the Vietnam - only this time it just so happens to be helping us. The civilians are just getting tired of the violence, so they're now doing something about it. If you don't think that this insurgency has been the backbone to the reduced violence in Iraq, you should probably ask yourself why many of them are now on U.S. Military payroll (known as the Sons of Iraq).

There are many other factors as well, but to say that the surge is working by simply because violence down is rather short sighted in my opinion. I think I already posted this link here once, but I'll post it again because it's one of the best articles I've read in a while on Iraq. Steven Simon, member of the Council on Foreign Relations, talks about the blindfold of short-term success, and why our activities in Iraq are actually poking the burning coals of longterm blowback.

As far as talking to enemies is concerned, you seem to be toting the talking point on this one. Barack Obama has never claimed that "we only need to talk to Iran and everything will be ok," but he's arguing that it is foolish to think that we should prohibit any kind of possible solutions by putting our arrogant foot down and declaring that diplomacy is off the table. Especially when we spend so much time holding hands with the Saudis then acting like we care about human rights issues and Israel when refusing to deal with Iran.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow... this is some crazy stuff. I'm an ardent Obama supporter, I even have him as my avatar, but this looks really bad for him.

To a large extent, I blame this to a distraction syndrome, America really doesn't play back 9/11/2001 video footage, so here we are close to 7 years removed from it and it's a distant memory for most. We're preoccupied with the economy and other issues that we really haven't focused on anything more outside of Iraq as far as the war on terrorism is concerned. While it would be a wonderful thing to pull troops and end Iraq, the reality of it is, McCain's 100 year remarks are inflammatory words that no one wants to hear, even though it's a sh*t sandwich truth that nobody wants to take a bite of. I really even think Clinton was wise enough to stay grounded and defend a presence that was in America's best interest. I think it comes down to it, even Obama flip flops on his stance, but he does look stupid for not showing that same caution the others had displayed.

Obama knocks McCain, Clinton on Iraq - First Read - msnbc.com
McCain defends '100 years in Iraq' statement - CNN.com

To take a worst case scenario, we're back in economic dire straits again, what does another attack do for this nation ? What does Obama set the stage for ? Not intending to fear monger, but the reality of it exists and ignoring the warning signs just isn't prudent. We're looking at time lines here, 1993, the attack on the WTC occurs under Clinton. 8 years later the attack is carried out again under Bush in 2001. Well next year is 2009, yet another shift change in the White House, will that be ripe for another attack like the previous Rep to Dem back to Rep personnel changes ?

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Going further with this, Obama has had to beef up his own security over racial tensions in his quest for the Presidency. The Democratic nomination simply was loaded with race and gender strife & tensions. I just think it's myopic on his part to not be able to "connect the dots" and apply these same concepts to international issues that obviously apply to being an American and the mechanics of that in the grand scheme of the nationality bigotries and hatreds that exist.