Does reaching a certain age make you broody?

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes it is, in fact it's been in common usage an awfully long time indeed.
The entry at Urban Dictionary is dated 2005. If six years is "an awfully long time indeed" in the life of slang, then perhaps I can hope that the word will go away within a similar length of time.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have always and still do, love children. Always knew I that I wanted to be a Father.

I will admit now that I am a Father of teens, the desire to have more has deminished :cool:. Don't misunderstand, love my girls to death, but sometimes.....:mad:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
The entry at Urban Dictionary is dated 2005. If six years is "an awfully long time indeed" in the life of slang, then perhaps I can hope that the word will go away within a similar length of time.

It's not slang :rolleyes:, it's a word used to describe when Hens become compelled to settle on their nest and lay their eggs, it's been used ever since I can remember to describe the same urge to reproduce in humans. I imagine the term has been used in that sense about as long as it has been used to describe Chicken behaviour tbh.

Maybe it's not a US-English thing IDK. I'm mystified why you find it so unpleasant.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Same here, I've always wanted em. I've got much younger sisters so I guess I realised it was fun having toddlers round the house to look after. :)
I watch after my nieces, occasionally. One is 10, the other will be turning 9 in a couple months. I love them to death :biggrin1: And I love, love, love to play with them! I'm definitely at least 10 years younger than my actual age.

Granted, having to do that every day might end up being a different story, and I have a feeling that their teenage years will be absolutely dreadful (although I wouldn't know because apparently mine never were), but then again, when it's actually your kid that becomes involved... I think you'd have a completely different outlook on them. Being a parent is no longer a duty or obligation, it's just natural.

Maybe I'm just fantasizing it all, lol.

I have always and still do, love children. Always knew I that I wanted to be a Father.

I will admit now that I am a Father of teens, the desire to have more has deminished :cool:. Don't misunderstand, love my girls to death, but sometimes.....:mad:
Ours (my sisters) were more difficult - sorta - in their teens. Actually getting them to do anything was really difficult lol. Early twenties now and much easier. Still a good laugh tho, and fun to get along with.

I watch after my nieces, occasionally. One is 10, the other will be turning 9 in a couple months. I love them to death :biggrin1: And I love, love, love to play with them! I'm definitely at least 10 years younger than my actual age.

Granted, having to do that every day might end up being a different story, and I have a feeling that their teenage years will be absolutely dreadful (although I wouldn't know because apparently mine never were), but then again, when it's actually your kid that becomes involved... I think you'd have a completely different outlook on them. Being a parent is no longer a duty or obligation, it's just natural.

I think the whole lot is fun -looking after them, getting to know them - seeing personalities develop, dealing with difficult times (theirs and urs), and just the interest of everyday life is really rewarding. Even better (but more responsibility) when it's ur own i guess.

Also, getting to play with fun stuff and watch kids telly is a plus, too. :D

D

deleted3782

When I was younger I was more open to the idea of kids. My dad says that kids were the best thing that ever happened to him, and now that he is older he wouldn't know what he would do without having had them. But in the past several years I have come to realize that it isn't happening and I've worked let the idea go. I'm the only one of my grandmother's 13 grandchildren to not have any kids! Of course I'm also the only one to net get married either. Besides, I enjoy sleeping in the morning and wasting my time on things I want to waste my time doing. I continue to be brooding, but I've let the broody go.

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Happened when I turned 25. Couldn't stand kids before that.

I'm so broody I look after kids as a job.
Be careful of Joll though, I've heard he's so fertile he can get you pregnant by sneezing near you :wink:

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I am young. To be honest, I don't think I'd be a very good father.

You with kids?! Poor little souls. (I'm joking, of course.) :tongue:
I wish everyone considered their suitability ito parenthood beforehand, there'd be alot less issuity around.

I've badly wanted a children since I was 22. Might have had something to do with not ticking the box on my life plan when I was 21.

"Broody"? Is this word in common use now? I saw the thread and assumed that it was talking about becoming prone to brooding, i.e., to gloomy pensiveness.
Oh, dear CalB.

Raising girls is the hardest thing; not to mention in their teens! Yikes, I'm sure you have your stick ready to beat the boys off with.

Aww! sweet :redface:

is also used to describe a breeding mare = broodmare
lmao! Randomity ensues. :cool:

When I was younger I was more open to the idea of kids. My dad says that kids were the best thing that ever happened to him, and now that he is older he wouldn't know what he would do without having had them. But in the past several years I have come to realize that it isn't happening and I've worked let the idea go. I'm the only one of my grandmother's 13 grandchildren to not have any kids! Of course I'm also the only one to net get married either. Besides, I enjoy sleeping in the morning and wasting my time on things I want to waste my time doing. I continue to be brooding, but I've let the broody go.
Blondie, always wanting to be different. smh lol.

To those who vehemently oppose the notion, is it because you're single, gay, feel you're not worthy, and have thus resigned yourself from having kids because it doesn't seem "on the cards" for you and therefore find it easier to dismiss the possiblility?

I'd say, even though I'm not in a relationship, and having kids doesn't seem like my (at least, immediate) future, it doesn't stop me from getting/having baby fever.

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All these people who don't want to have kids is a good thing as overpopulation is a serious problem. Also, consider adopting.

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was 24 when I had my first child. I have to admit that when I first found out I was terrified, no brooding instinct at all at that time. My 'Baby fever' set in around age 27. There was such a craving to have another child that I couldn't walk past a newborn without congratulating the mom and giving an envious look at the baby. It didn't hurt that my daughter, the first born, was an amazingly sweet and tranquil, baby. I tease her these days that she made motherhood seem too easy back then! I still love holding friends babies and even though i'm done having kids, that newborn smell still gets to me. Lol!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have absolutely no desire to have children but I often think about sponsoring a third-world child - I just wish my income was bigger and more stable.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
To those who vehemently oppose the notion, is it because you're single, gay, feel you're not worthy, and have thus resigned yourself from having kids because it doesn't seem "on the cards" for you and therefore find it easier to dismiss the possiblility?

Well I don't know that I would class myself as "vehemently oppose[d]" to parenthood, but I'm pretty happy that I wont ever be one.

I love my life, it's taken me lots of hard work and lots of blood, sweat and tears, to achieve what I've achieved. Having had a a good bit of practical experience of what it's like to look after a small child I know that it's incredibly time consuming and hard work, I also know it takes a certain kind of temperament to be good at it. I also know that it totally transforms how your life is lead.

If you add to this knowledge that fact that as a general rule I don't really like spending time with children; I get kinda bored and irritated by them after about 10 minutes, and the certainty that I would be selfish and emotionally distant father, I really think that it's a positive decision and a best for all concerned that I don't have any kids.

For me children have never been a part of my life plan, not once in all my life did I ever stop to think about the possibility of figuring them into my plans. I don't think about having kids, I don't regret that the plans I've made for my life do not include them.

I suppose I'm just not orientated towards parenthood and that I tend to forget that children even exist, which manifests itself frequently when my friends with children have to remind me that no they can't attend my big birthday shindig in Lisbon because they wont be able to get anyone to look after their kids for 4 days or other similar lapses in my ability to recall that other people have commitments to their offspring.

For me the lack of any broodiness is a bonus because it makes it all the easier not to regret the positive decision I made many years ago that I do not wish to be a parent.

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have absolutely no desire to have children but I often think about sponsoring a third-world child - I just wish my income was bigger and more stable.
That's uber cool, Willow. :smile:

Catharses and Joll: you guys rock! Hope you accomplish fatherhood someday SOON. :)
Abso-freaking-lutely! I'm sure they'd make great daddies.

Well I don't know that I would class myself as "vehemently oppose[d]" to parenthood, but I'm pretty happy that I wont ever be one.

For me the lack of any broodiness is a bonus because it makes it all the easier not to regret the positive decision I made many years ago that I do not wish to be a parent.
Thanks for your honesty, Hill.

My baby fever hasn't made me start liking other people's (bratty) kids lol, that still hasn't changed. :tongue:
For me baby fever is not necessarily practical or logical, but rather a "craving", if you will.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Catharses and Joll: you guys rock! Hope you accomplish fatherhood someday SOON. :)

Abso-freaking-lutely! I'm sure they'd make great daddies.
Thanks :redface: There are a lot of things for and about myself that I'll need to work on. Just overall self-improvement and trying to get a stand on my own two feet before I start supporting a family.

All in all, I don't expect anything to happen until my 30s. So... I have a while. Or so I hope, anyway :tongue:.