Does she EVER shut up?

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Apr 6 2005, 08:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Apr 6 2005, 08:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-yaoifun@Apr 6 2005, 03:50 AM
And who said we can&#39;t have both Nixxy and Jacinto as two hot sexy Lysanders?

I repeat: I am not Lysander&#33; I&#39;m all too wrong for that role.
[post=297688]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Perhaps Oberon then? King of the Faeries.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi+Apr 7 2005, 06:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeepwranglerboi &#064; Apr 7 2005, 06:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Apr 6 2005, 08:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-yaoifun
@Apr 6 2005, 03:50 AM
And who said we can&#39;t have both Nixxy and Jacinto as two hot sexy Lysanders?

I repeat: I am not Lysander&#33; I&#39;m all too wrong for that role.
[post=297688]Quoted post[/post]​
Perhaps Oberon then? King of the Faeries.
[post=298113]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

No. I will always picture the man who played Oberon in our production as the quintessential Oberon. Here&#39;s what he looked like in costume:

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/135669...69/38954346.jpg

hung_big: *Runs away*

The one that I saw had a sexy oberon&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Fine Jacinto, be Philostrate&#33; And Nixxy you can be Lysander&#33;

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@Apr 7 2005, 09:39 PM
Holy shit, that&#39;s a scary Oberon&#33;
[post=298151]Quoted post[/post]​

That&#39;s the point. Shakespeare&#39;s faeries were night creatures of great power and violent tempers. Though they were tiny, they weren&#39;t Tinkerbell. The rustics of Elizabethan England feared the faeries and left them gifts to placate them. The Puck was one of the most fearsome of all. He was usually portrayed as a horned, goat hoofed imp. Our Oberon&#39;s eerie appearance was enhanced by the wearing of white contact lenses, though that&#39;s not clear in the photo. His costume was designed to make his legs look shorter than they actually are because tradition says that he bore a curse that stopped his growth. Our faerie king was Oberon straight from the pages of mediaeval European folklore.

hung_big: Well from reading the book, it seems to me that Titania was the malevolent one with a foul temper. Though I would agree with your analogy about shakespear&#39;s faeries, I still think you could pull off oberon.

I&#39;ll infuriate you by stealing jonb away and then you can curse me&#33; ^_^

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All the faeries were petty and quick-tempered. Yes, that includes Titania, but remember that Oberon was awfully quick to retaliate against her and humiliate her.

Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 8 2005, 03:11 AM
I&#39;ll infuriate you by stealing jonb away and then you can curse me&#33; ^_^
[post=298289]Quoted post[/post]​

You think? I don&#39;t see Jon being lured away by a 15 year old.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, in case you&#39;ve forgotten, the age of consent&#39;s 14 in Canada (except anal; that&#39;s 18), so as long as I don&#39;t fuck him, we&#39;re legal.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks, Chimera, you&#39;ve been responsible for several of them lately.

*Carefully arches her bow and impales Chimera&#39;s foot to the floor just out of reach of his keyboard.* There&#33; That should hold him for a few minutes&#33;

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Apr 7 2005, 10:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Apr 7 2005, 10:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-surferboy@Apr 7 2005, 09:39 PM
Holy shit, that&#39;s a scary Oberon&#33;
[post=298151]Quoted post[/post]​

That&#39;s the point. Shakespeare&#39;s faeries were night creatures of great power and violent tempers. Though they were tiny, they weren&#39;t Tinkerbell. The rustics of Elizabethan England feared the faeries and left them gifts to placate them. The Puck was one of the most fearsome of all. He was usually portrayed as a horned, goat hoofed imp. Our Oberon&#39;s eerie appearance was enhanced by the wearing of white contact lenses, though that&#39;s not clear in the photo. His costume was designed to make his legs look shorter than they actually are because tradition says that he bore a curse that stopped his growth. Our faerie king was Oberon straight from the pages of mediaeval European folklore.
[post=298282]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I know Jacinto, I love studying good ol&#39; Billy S. Even so, that&#39;s a frighteningly good costume. Our Oberon was played by the totally cute David Lucas *drool*

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don&#39;t forget Jacinto, Tinkerbell had a nasty attitude too when it came to women messing with her Peter Pan. She tried to kill Wendy at least once, I think twice.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think you are correct TAG. Yeah, they say faeries are mean little bitches. Maybe that is why stereotypical homosexual men get nicknamed &#39;a fairy.&#39; Hmmm...

Dude, I love the pic of your Oberon. Tres&#39; cool&#33; Didn&#39;t you say once that you played Oberon in the opera or am I mistaken? I recall something about glittered wings?

When I did the &#39;A Midsummer&#39;s Night Dream&#39; we did it set in modern day in the mountains of Georgia, thus Athens, Greece became Athens, Georgia. The faeries became Native American Spirits which was really cool. Theseus and Hippolyta were the elite of the country club as were Hermia, Helena and Demetrius. I was such the preppy little SOB&#33; Lysander was a Harley riding, Lynard Skynard T-shirt wearing, good ole boy. Quince, Bottom, Flute, Starveling, Snug, and Snout were mechanics, farmers, etc. Picture Flute/Thisbe as a moonshine drinking, banjo playin&#39;, tobacco chewin&#39;, overall wearin&#39; fat man and tell me that you can&#39;t understand how we added on an additional two weeks of shows&#33;

Has anyone seen the movie &#39;Get Over It? with Kirsten Dunst and Martin Short? They do a musical version of &#39;A Midsummer&#39;s Night Dream&#39; in it. It&#39;s kinda cute. There was also &#39;The Donkey Show&#39; that ran Off-Broadway which was a 70&#39;s Disco version as well.

dickbulge

Experimental Member
Media
Congrats MZ&#33; Your beauty, insight and wisdom make LPSG a special place to visit.

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended.
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear.
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call:
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be
friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I&#39;ve always loved that speech. When done properly it is so magical, beautiful and powerful. Here it is in its entirety.

PUCK
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber&#39;d here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to &#39;scape the serpent&#39;s tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Apr 8 2005, 07:33 PM
Didn&#39;t you say once that you played Oberon in the opera or am I mistaken? I recall something about glittered wings?

Well, yeah, but of course the opera is more about the singing than the acting. Two nights of singing falsetto in a black leather doublet and glittered wings. I don&#39;t ever want to sing countertenor again; it&#39;s hell on my vocal chords. Plus, it was hard to look very masculine in knee-high sequinned cavalier boots&#33;

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Apr 9 2005, 11:42 AM

Well, yeah, but of course the opera is more about the singing than the acting.
[post=298591]Quoted post[/post]​

Jeep, DMW, I was lucky enough to see Baz Luhrman&#39;s ( director of Moulin Rouge and Romeo+Juliet movies) production of the opera 3 times ( over three seasons). His take on it was to set it in British India, about 1910 ( the link is to the "Indian boy"). The orchestra was not in the pit but in an elevated bandstand on the stage, and they wore Sgt Peppers style uniforms. The mechanicals were young British soldiers in khaki shorts ( "Bombay bloomers").

The area below this bandstand was " the underworld", and in one scene it was turned into a lake, with floating lamps and flowers.

Initially, I was quite sceptical about the Indian setting, but it worked very well indeed.
It was a very imaginative, magical production with great singing and acting too&#33;

After the first season, the production toured and was a big hit at the Edinburgh festival.

Baz Luhrman&#39;s first opera production, La Boheme, was set in the 1950s with a young cast. It was an enormous success.

Jeep, your description was so funny&#33; Thanks&#33;

hung_big: Theseus - Jonb
Hippolyta – Husky/”Mother”
Philostrate – Jacinto (Doublemeatwopper)
Egeus –Jonb
Hermia - Jana (sorry hun, but you’ll have to pull double duty – welcome to the world of a gay man ;))
Lysander – Nixxy (surferboy)
Demetrius - Kyle (jeepwranglerboy)
Helena – Kim (naughty)
Oberon – Kink
Titania Jana (MadameZora)
Robin Goodfellow – ME&#33; :D
Peter Quince – Freddie
Nick Bottom – Massivepkgchucks (sorry, dunno the spelling)
Francis Flute – Waiting…
Tom Snout – Who wants?
Snug – Any volunteers?
Robin Starveling – Who wants?
Other lords and fairies – Other low posting members ^_^

Good casting, eh? :D

dickbulge

Experimental Member
Media
I just saw the opera so this thread is very timely.

A nod to Benjamin Britton please for weaving Shakesperian english and modern music into a wonderful experience.

In the production I saw Oberon was played by David Walker who did a beautiful job and was a treat to see. When you have flowing locks of blonde hair and a tight muscular body all you need to command the stage is tights, a cape and a little glitter . And that unearthly voice&#33;

I&#39;m still trying to imagine Jacinto singing Oberon with a Cuban accent (charming as it is&#33;)

The casting is good but the women need some thought. Naughty looks like Hermia (in my minds eye) and Jana is just too...ah.... special to play a silly girl like Helena. Maybe a tall guy in drag?

I would volunteer as one of the rustics but I have no comic timing.