Does the AIG Logo on Mann Utd. Players Piss You Off?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MichiganRico, Oct 29, 2009.

1. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Love football (soccer) and the guys who play it, but everytime I see the AIG logo on a Manchester United jersey I cringe. US taxpayers bailed AIG out to the tune of $152.5 BILLION (so far)--most of which went to its so-called "counterparties" which held "credit-default swaps" with AIG...many of which were European banks and brokerage houses.

AIG signed a four-year sponsorship deal with Manchester United in 2006 which runs through May, 2010--the most expensive sponsorship ever, for the most lucrative sports franchise in the world. The sponsorship cost AIG 56.5 million British pounds ($93+ million dollars US) payable in four yearly installments. In my opinion Mann Utd. players should be weariing a pic of Uncle Sam on their jerseys, not the AIG logo. (I just couldn't bring myself to say USA--that would be absolute heresy.)

I'm not being critical of the sport, the team, the players or the UK. Business is business. But what if AIG had been allowed to go bankrupt last year? Wouldn't Manchester United have negotiated another deal with another (hopefully more solvent) corporation? IMHO that should have happened irrespective of AIG's bankruptcy status. (And to add insult or injury, AIG is still screaming about its government-imposed limits on salaries and bonuses.)

So until May, 2010, Americans are part owners of a great British sports franchise (admittedly a very small owner, but an owner/investor of sorts nevertheless).

So, guys, support your team--if not for the investment--just for the really cute players!

Attached Files:

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL - didnt know much about AIG, I'm afraid.

To be honest - it's normally the Man U logo on their shirts that pisses people off. :wink:

3. D_Portelay Porquesword

It could be worse, it could be a personal lube logo. Just sayin'.

4. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    not as much as citi field does:)

Draft saved Draft deleted