Does the media really favor Obama?

Number 51

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The media are people. People are more interested in reporting a dynamic, new, fresh, charismatic person than an old cranky man with jowls with nothing new to say.

It's just human nature at work. I guess it all boils down to what is more entertaining ie, ratings.

I'm afraid so. Obama is easily the most lightweight and intellectually vapid major party candidate for President in a long time, with virtually no accomplishments to his name - but he looks and sounds so good! For a frighteningly large number of people, that trumps substance and accomplishment (in which McCain handily bests Obama). Unfortunately, it's just following a trend in society in general where style is becoming more prized than substance. The media outlets are simply reflecting that.

3664shaken

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The conservatives who watch Bill O'Reily take his form of commentary as an impartial "no spin" new source even though he is almost as bad as Rush Limbaugh. To say pundits are distinguishable by the public as separate and distinct from mainstream media is ridiculous when you consider Fox News, the most watch news source in America.

For some reason Bill O’Reily seems to be the hated boogeyman of the left. He is actually much more moderate than Rush since he seems to skewer both sides when they need it.

As far as Fox news being most watched it is, but look at the choices for TV/Cable news

ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN – all liberal

Fox – Conservative

The conservatives all flock to FOX because it is their only choice while the liberals have many.

And come on, let’s be honest, MSNBC has become so far to the left it makes Fox look almost unbiased.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have seen very little scrutiny over Obama, many of the ‘issues’ that were brought up were done so in a passing way.

I haven't seen Russia so it doesn't exist. Hmm, doesn't seem very plausible. "Passing way?" how do you passively suggest that Obama is died to Islam extremism? That's aggressive prejudice, a direct fear campaign that can hardly be considered passive other than the fact that it's not directed towards a candidate you support.

There have been quite a few campaign /career ending issues that would have stopped most any other politician in their tracks.

Oh that's rich, considering how many rules have been broken for some of our POTUSes to become POTUSes. It really makes me chuckle the way people talk about politics as if they were pristine and pure until Obama "came along and soiled them.":rolleyes: I won't bother mentioning the LAWS Mccain broke to get on ballots in several states since, at this point, minds have already been made up.

“well some people say blah blah blah, but this is a non-issue and Obama has dealt with it, besides he says we shouldn’t worry or talk about it so we won’t.”

Your response to Obama slander in the media is that "they're not saying anything?" That's just weird man, really weird.

That’s not reporting that’s covering-up, both candidates should be scrutinized but I think you are kidding yourself if you believe that Obama has been.

At this point in your post it's obvious that you're denying Obama slander simply because he isn't the party you support. If you continue this grossly blind bias it'll be impossible to hold any real kind of discussion.

What about this supposed obsession with his ethnicity????

You're right, the discussions about if he's "too white" or "too black" weren't on TV, they were in my head.:rolleyes:

I will grant you they fawn over the fact that they believe THEY are the ones going to make history by getting the first black president elected, but this is a good thing for him, is it not?

Wow, you clearly don't understand what it's like being black. Hell fucking no it's not a good thing to carry the weight of an entire race on your shoulders. Nobody compares all whites to Bush, but every misstep Obama makes will be fodder for "see, we let a nigger in the White House and look what happened"

but about the only comments I hear on the major media outlets about is race, is whethere it will hurt him or help him. I don’t think this is wrong since that is an important question to analyze.

Quick answer is yes and yes, it will help AND hurt him, no analyzation needed in the context of this discussion, it's simply racism and reverse racism.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm afraid so. Obama is easily the most lightweight and intellectually vapid major party candidate for President in a long time ....

Well, I'd beg to differ, especially considering who's occupying the Oval Office even as we speak.

It DOES amaze me to no end, though, how the extreme right wingers and ultra-conservatives want to have their cake and eat it too regarding the media.

You can't run a guy's name through the muck month after month, stir up controversy and questions about his motives, his character, his qualifications, his integrity, his race, his patriotism, his religion, his sense of duty to his country...engage in slander, rumor mongering, lies, and distortions on a DAILY basis, then WHINE because you've generated too much interest in the guy.

Nor can you hide YOUR candidate out from taking any stand considered too controversial, try to keep his positions and ideas as safe, low keyed, and as vague as possible, switching the positions to suit the moment, then COMPLAIN because people seem uninterested in hearing what he has to say.

Last edited:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can't run a guy's name through the muck month after month, stir up controversy and questions about his motives, his character, his qualifications, his integrity, his race, his patriotism, his religion, his sense of duty to his country...engage in slander, rumor mongering, lies, and distortions on a DAILY basis, then WHINE because you've generated too much interest in the guy.

Nor can you hide YOUR candidate out from taking any stand considered too controversial, try to keep his positions and ideas as safe, low keyed, and as vague as possible, switching the positions to suit the moment, then COMPLAIN because people seem uninterested in hearing what he has to say.

Damn straight.

And how is Obama " intellectually vapid " ? When all McCain can talk about is war and Obama voting against the surge. That's all he's said since the beginning.

Yep that McCain sure is an intellectual giant. For all his experience he still can't get names right and messes up the timeline of the war he backs so much. Don't you get it ? That's all he knows? How can you support a man who (exact quote) "doesn't understand the economy" ?

If I ever have brain surgery, I want the guy who doesn't understand cerebellums.

And sorry 3664shaken, Fox News is the most biased, irrational, doctrinaire, pretentious, unworthy non sequitur of a news network that we have today. Yea, you're right, MSNBC is left, but Buchannan alone makes up for that. They're just as left as Fox is right.

I didn't see any complaining about the "liberal media" when Obama was getting roasted for such obscurities as a lapell pin and the dreaded "terrorist fist bump".

Race shouldn't be a part of this election, but it is, sadly. Let's not forget about the voters that said race was a deciding factor, and the many more who won't admit it. Or assface Ralph Nader saying he talks white and he's pandering to the white folk. Last time I checked, we (and he) lives in the US, and in the US we speak English as a de facto official language. Why wouldn't the presidential candidate want to speak proper English ?

McCain has about as much substance as a blank sheet of paper. He's nothing but recycled lines and buzz words. His speeches look like eulogies.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And how is Obama " intellectually vapid " ? When all McCain can talk about is war and Obama voting against the surge. That's all he's said since the beginning.

A-fucking-men. The funniest part about this election is that the anti-Barackism FAR outweighs the pro-Mccainism. Lots of people support Mccain simply because they don't like Obama which would be fine IF you could explain why you're choosing Mccain beyond "I don't like the other guy." Guess they haven't answered my request for voter aptitude tests yet.

I didn't see any complaining about the "liberal media" when Obama was getting roasted for such obscurities as a lapell pin and the dreaded "terrorist fist bump".

Of course you didn't. Anti-Barackians are terrifically unbalanced in their perceptions. They refuse to acknowledge Obama slander in the media, and insist that the entire world of media sucks his dick. They complain that Mccain doesn't get coverage, yet when he does he not only fumbles, he crashes into the wall and has to be carried off the field in a stretcher with his constant misspeaking.

Why wouldn't the presidential candidate want to speak proper English ?

Why fo' you be ax that question? You ain't be black unless you be talk like dis. All REAL black people be talk like dis. Dem ones that speak prosper English they just be white, they white!!!

McCain has about as much substance as a blank sheet of paper. He's nothing but recycled lines and buzz words. His speeches look like eulogies.

Exactly. This boils down the public interest. The public is more on the edge of their seats to see if Obama succeeds, if he brings about any level of change (realistic or not), if he wins period, if he can overcome personal struggles and widespread prejudice.

Again, to be blunt, we've been watching old white man mumble about things they don't understand for ages, Mccain is nothing new and there are certainly better candidates than he that atleast wouldn't have people people falling asleep at their speeches.

trentster

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What it comes down to is this and I've followed Obama since he ran for senate (voted for him, as did 80% of IL)

Obama is a fresh, intelligent, eloquent, black (not being racist, but a black person that has a chance at president is a foreign idea to most newscasters) democrat that could win.

Now considering our last two democratic nominations have been rich white guys spouting rhetoric, this is new. He is the freshest candidate since JFK. He's not an insider, young people love him, he doesn't need Big [blank] to support him.

That said, the media just covers him more because he's more interesting.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Now considering our last two democratic nominations have been rich white guys spouting rhetoric, this is new.

Yes, a rich black guy (albeit with urban and non-upper class credentials) spouting even more rhetoric that, while still lacking in substance, capitalizes on some well-ringing vague ideas.

That said, the media just covers him more because he's more interesting.

Regardless of bias, this is true.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I hope so. Just waitin' for something newsworthy about McBush, but can't find a thing. Too old, feeble and tired. lmao

McCain is white bread. Nothing really interesting, just kinda there. Likable enough, but you only really settle for it when you're out of rye.

Obama is the everything bagel in the back of the fridge. Every little speck is taken as a cause for alarm. (Maybe it went bad. Maybe I'm allergic to that. Maybe it's a dead bug.)
No, it's just a poppyseed.

ashencjock

Just Browsing
Media
90% of you need to keep your comments to "large penises" because you are so one-sided and clueless. On the other-hand, you need to be spending less time here and more time expanding your knowledge. And, I'm talking to those of you on here who choose to bash Fox News as an illegitimate news source. Can you tell me how providing MORE information or sides to an issue is a bad thing? The fascism is on the left from those who attempt to shut down any expression of ideas that they do not agree with.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And, I'm talking to those of you on here who choose to bash Fox News as an illegitimate news source. Can you tell me how providing MORE information or sides to an issue is a bad thing?

HA! Faux News is NOTHING but an illegitimate news source. They're blatantly biased and have no reserve using prejudicial and xenophobic tactics to induce irrational fears. Few people openly admit to considering Faux news as anything but faux.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
90% of you need to keep your comments to "large penises" because you are so one-sided and clueless. On the other-hand, you need to be spending less time here and more time expanding your knowledge. And, I'm talking to those of you on here who choose to bash Fox News as an illegitimate news source. Can you tell me how providing MORE information or sides to an issue is a bad thing? The fascism is on the left from those who attempt to shut down any expression of ideas that they do not agree with.

Fox News leans painfully far to the right. They showed Reverend Wright clips every day, to further discuss the implications, for several days after the smoke cleared with everyone else. McCain admits he doesn't understand the economy though, and they barely touch it.
Nobody's calling fascism (scary buzzword!) except you. The problem lies in what's supposed to be a reputable news source, especially one self-proclaimed as fair and balanced, taking and making opportunities to strike at one candidate and pick the scabs they leave behind. Meanwhile, the other is left untouched.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
HA! Faux News is NOTHING but an illegitimate news source. They're blatantly biased and have no reserve using prejudicial and xenophobic tactics to induce irrational fears. Few people openly admit to considering Faux news as anything but faux.

Fox News leans painfully far to the right. They showed Reverend Wright clips every day, to further discuss the implications, for several days after the smoke cleared with everyone else. McCain admits he doesn't understand the economy though, and they barely touch it.
Nobody's calling fascism (scary buzzword!) except you. The problem lies in what's supposed to be a reputable news source, especially one self-proclaimed as fair and balanced, taking and making opportunities to strike at one candidate and pick the scabs they leave behind. Meanwhile, the other is left untouched.

Obama was on his plane recently complaining to Fox reporter Major Garrett that Fox News is the only News on with the Troops. The Troops choose what they want to watch despite the Senator's insinuation. I wonder why the Solidiers choose Fox?

You won't catch me arguing that Fox News doesn't lean right. And they certainly aren't Fair. But in this election...(I never thought I'd be saying this but) Fox News has been the most balanced.

CNN and the networks have for the most part been in the Tank for Obama. And yes its like a school girl crush. Fox has covered news that you will not find being covered on the other networks.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
That doesn't exactly mean they're balanced. Just that they balance things out against the left-leaning stations.
I'm not gonna deny that there are plenty of those though. But you can't go around touting of "Fair and Balanced" and pull that shit. Besides, they couldn't come with anything better than a snippet of a Rev. Wright speech for that long? Come on, a new Scary Obama buzz comes up every week. You'd think a national news station could do better than that. It's like they're trying to break into a car with a whiffle ball bat and the tire iron is right there on the sidewalk.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seldom mentioned is ABC News running hatchet-job on Obama. Listen to Charlie Gibson's syntax and vocal inflection when doing an Obama story, the constant set-up questioning between Gibson and former Clinton staffer George Stephanopoulos. The only time this came to a head was when Charlie and George stepped over the line in a debate earlier this year. In this respect, ABC is becoming Fox News light.

But folks, when one candidate is speaking in front of hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic Germans and the other is a near geriatric dwarf having lunch at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in Ohio where the motto is The Best of the Wurst, this is the suff of Jay Leno.

A few presidential election cycles from now this moment is going to be compared with Mickey Mouse (Michael Dukakis) riding in the play tank during the 1988 election.