does the sex stop once you get married?

D_Etienne Neerdowell

Experimental Member
Media
not counting newlyweds..i'm talking 3 years and up.
does the sex slow down that much?

It's different for different couples - you can't really give a definitive answer to a question which looks across such a large group.

Although it is inevitable that the sex will tale off eventually for nearly all people, as a persons libido tales off through a combination of physical and psychological factors - however that has more to do with age and I suspect that your post isn't directly aimed at relationships spanning 25 - 30+ year.

D_Andy_Whorewall

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
27 years of marriage and six years of sexual activity before that has made for a now lack luster sex life. MAYBE once a month, if one were to average 4 months together. Her needs just aren't there, but mine are. There is no answer, just except the change or look elsewhere. (wink)

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Thanks, Drifterwood. But, I didn't mean to imply that I blame my wife for this or to suggest that she's purposely withholding. The reasons for why we've gone from a fantastic sex life to one that we both lament as lame are probably both of our faults. And she's had problems with intercourse being painful, which I certainly don't blame her for.

I just made an appointment today to get a vasectomy. I'm hoping this will make spontanaity possible and dramatically improve things.

I hope your wife and you indulge in many other types of sex besides intercourse! Have fun and bon voyage!

Helga's response is what I was thinking David. I wouldn't have a vasectomy BTW.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think a lot of people become complacent and stop trying, that's for sure, you have to put in the effort and you will reap the rewards.

Sex-a-plenty.

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think a lot of people become complacent and stop trying, that's for sure, you have to put in the effort and you will reap the rewards.

Sex-a-plenty.

Million dollar idea? I think so. I'm thinking of a new brand here... something like a kit that includes some fun toys, sexy clothing, and maybe a swing or? The 800 number could be a stunner too... You could even create Sex-a-plenty kits for specific markets: straight, gay, bi, lesbian, mmf, ffm, mfm, fmf...:biggrin1:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Depends what you mean by "slows down".

Statistically, married people have more sex than unmarried people. However, also statistically, married people have less sex 5 years into the marriage, than they did at the time of marriage.

I'm sure kids are a factor in that, but I have only apocryphal/anecdotal evidence for this.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Depends what you mean by "slows down".

Statistically, married people have more sex than unmarried people. However, also statistically, married people have less sex 5 years into the marriage, than they did at the time of marriage.

I'm sure kids are a factor in that, but I have only apocryphal/anecdotal evidence for this.

This is absolutely true! And a very good observation.

TheBF and I have a lot less sex now than we did 6 months ago, but I know that we have a lot more sex than unmarried people do right now. However, from my perspective as a person who had much more sex 6 months ago, I feel like it significantly slowed down.

Perspective strongly affects perception when it comes to things like this.

justacynic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've alluded but haven't specified so I'll just throw out: 1 1/2 times with my wife since December '07.

Sucks to be at the opposite of what most people are posting. :frown1:

pretpaal

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1,5 times in 3 years???? You poor guy.....

To be honest....2/3 times per month and I always have to take initiative. Always sex before we go to sleep, same position, etc. etc.

I tried for years to spice up things but she just isn't interested. So I made a decision years ago: I love my wife truly, but I don't wan't to live like some kind of monk for the rest of my life.

So yes, I ocassionaly have sex with other women. Always 100% safe: I don't wan't to bother my wife with STD's.... Some people will be disgusted with my decision, but it works for me. And if it works for me, it works for my marriage. Without doing this my marriage would have gone up in smoke long time ago..... I have kids and I come from a broken up family (parents divorced) myself. And looking back: I rather would have my father or mother cheating on eachother and being together still then the shit I had to put up with after they broke up (and I know sex was one of the reasons).

Just my 5 cents (sorry sounding frustrated!)

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've alluded but haven't specified so I'll just throw out: 1 1/2 times with my wife since December '07.

Sucks to be at the opposite of what most people are posting. :frown1:

Why? I'm serious, is there a reason why? Surely your wife knows about your dissatisfaction, right?

cali06

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not married, but partnered for over 9 years. It has slowed down from once a day to about twice a week or a minimum of once a week. I think that's pretty good though.

justacynic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Why? I'm serious, is there a reason why? Surely your wife knows about your dissatisfaction, right?

The reasons are:
1. She got pregnant in December 07. No sex during pregnancy.
2. She gave birth (C-section this time) in August '08. Not much difference in terms of not wanting/not able to have sex post-vaginal birth.
3. After trying and stopping one time in January '09, we finally copulated in June '09. Then in October '09, she found out I had a one-night stand when I had to fly to Portland for a couple of nights due to work back in January '09. So, nothing since.

Now, as far as other reasons, you would hear very different things from us. I generally think that she suffers from depression, has major body image issues due to the fact she is morbidly obese, is always tired (see the preceding items), thinks that our situation is common, does not know how to relax, and more-or-less has no sex drive. (Of course, then again, around April-June 2009 she was telling me about conversations with one of her co-workers where she said they discussed how they want to have sex but not with their spouse--in joking terms, but still....hmmm, there was also a Hitachi Masgic Wand bought in there somewhere although she has hardly made use of it in that way).

On her side, she would say that she is tried of being responsible for 'everything' and having to think about 'everything' all the time, on top of having a demanding job (Lawyer with the Attorney General's office). This drains her mentally so that she is tried and just wants sleep, not sex. Everything would pertain mostly to food preparation and planning. It also pertains to her feeling like she initiates laundry, cleaning this and that, etc. I admit that she does all the dinner cooking and meal planning, but I do all the clean up except for the nights where I give the kids a bath after dinner and she doesn;t want to wait for me to finish. In fact, I believe her non-recognition of my contributions relates mainly to her "You didn't do it how I would do it so now I have to do it myself" mentality. A side note example of her taking care of 'everything' would be our Thanksgiving travels this weekend: she, by far, did most of the packing. She also had last Friday and today (Wednesday) off from work.

As for your last question, Petite, I honestly don't think so. You would think that me cheating on her might be an indication, particularly when I said I did it because I just wanted to have sex, but no, I don't think she gets it. That's on me for not expressing it enough, I suppose. But I really don't see the point of being a nag on the issue. Not to mention I really don;t want to have sex with her if she's just appeasing me and not because she *wants* to.

CapAmerica

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
depends on how long you've been married
There's a statistic out there that says 25% of people are in sexless marriages...

I'd be in that 25%. Married 12 years now - 2 kids...wife and I have had sex 5 times in the past two years...she has almost zero interest. First two years of marriage and year of dating prior...she was on me every night...ymmv (and for all of you, I hope it does)

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gosh, I hope not!

Rawdog and his wife have a lot of sex together, and they've been married for longer than 3 years, if I remember correctly. I hope we're like that. :smile:

Pretty accurate there. We've been married 5 years now (today's our anniversary, btw). At this very moment we're at her folks' place so we can't really have any sort of fuckfest. But when we get home later, we're hoping to be "staying in" the rest of the weekend.

A couple of reasons this marriage has clicked so well in the sex department. We don't have kids and both our sex drives have gotten stronger and stronger through the years. This is my third marriage, hers too, and I think being friends for the last 20 years and witnessing our respective relationships collapse has given us that "no bullshit" policy as well.

BikerBear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My partner and I haven't had sex for nearly 4 years now.... can't explain why (and, yes, I would sure like to know why), but when ever I try to approach the subject all I get is some excuse. So, I've stopped asking.

We are soulmates, and have one of the strongest relationships amongst our friends; many people are envious (if they only knew that the cake is without icing, they may change their opinion).

Believe me, I long to have the intimacy of love making. I've become "my own best friend" if you know what I mean.... I've never cheated, but recently it sure has crossed my mind!