Does the use of "Dude" bother you?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I reserve "dude" for my friends, basically if I really like you, you will be referred to as "dude" several times a year. I grew up in the 80's, I just can't help it.

I was however grown by the time that Bill and Ted came around and wasn't influenced by them at all.

I also use the word "man" an awful lot... I have pretty much replaced "dude" with "man".

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have a doctoral degree, am over 29 and happily use "dude" whenever the fancy strikes*. In the community in which I grew up, it was commonly used.

There's an art to using the term. It's not for everyone. It's understandable if some folks can't handle it. :wink:

Now, as to "brah", I agree with the previously expressed sentiment that it should only ever be uttered by native Hawaiians.

* As with everything, there's a time and a place....

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dude's fine as long as it isn't used incessantly. I use it occasionally when I need to address someone whose name I don't know [in a social setting of course].

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's no such thing as proper English, I mean if we're going to get in to usages which drive us mad then I have a major problem with the American-English use of the word "complex" instead of "complicated", the two words mean utterly different things, and this particular sloppiness has begun to become common in British-English now too.

There is, in my opinion, proper English. It's something to which one aspires.

Who is right ?
I am.

Them or those campaigning for the use of our version of "proper" English ?

I disagree.

Ultimately it's a pointless question.

Perhaps that statement's better addressed to the thread author who's offended by "dude" as much as I.

I recognise that actually A.E. is in fact a separate dialect of the English language..

"dialect"? It's (for all intents and purpose) a different language.

and that to object terribly strongly to such usages is in fact a form of linguistic chauvinism.

How terribly dramatic of you.

Last edited:

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Dude's fine as long as it isn't used incessantly. I use it occasionally when I need to address someone whose name I don't know [in a social setting of course].

My buds and I use the word Dude quite a bit. I'd never use it to address someone that I don't know and find it a little irritating when complete strangers address me as dude or bud. Yesterday, I got a little irritated, but held my anger....I'm bench pressing 250 lbs on the flat bench at the gym. This guy that I'd never seen before suddenly appears while I'm half way into my second set and says "Dude, do you want me to spot you." I stopped and said "No." He stood there behind my head, until I finished the set. I stood up and rather than ask him what was his problem, tried to engage in polite conversation. Over a three minute period, he must have said "Dude, if you ever need a spotter, just ask."

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
There is, in my opinion, proper English. It's something to which one aspires.

In your opinion, certainly but no one else need feel bound by that need they ? You're welcome to aspire to your own standards and others theirs no?

"dialect"? It's (for all intents and purpose) a different language.

No, for all intents and purposes there is the English language, which comes in a variety of dialects, including, American English ( within which there is a number of subsets ), British English ( which also has its own subgroups ) Hibernian or Irish English, Australian English, Newzealand English and so on and so on.

Neither B.E. nor A.E. or any of the others as yet qualifies as a separate language from the others. At least not from a phililogical or linguistical point of view.

How terribly dramatic of you.

Hardly, unless you are interpreting my words incorrectly, perhaps you take the word chauvinism to have the unpleasant and perjorative meaning it once had when frequently used in Sexual Politics discussions. Needless to say I intended that it have no such venomous undertones, in better congruance with its broader usage.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In your opinion, certainly but no one else need feel bound by that need they ? You're welcome to aspire to your own standards and others theirs no?

Silly fellow of course not. After all this is a message board where one (in the ideal hilaire) is allowed to freely voice his opinion even when it is at odds with another poster's (as we now find ourselves).

Hardly, unless you are interpreting my words incorrectly, perhaps you take the word chauvinism to have the unpleasant and perjorative meaning it once had when frequently used in Sexual Politics discussions.

I "took" the word chauvinism in precisely the way you intended it in your last to me.

In the larger picture however we've no need to kick this dead horse. We don't agree. The world won't stop spinning on its axis. :cool:

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
Well... I am deaf, and say "dude" differently as people would. I originally thought that Dude was pronounced as Doo, not realizing the "d" was also pronounced at the end. Anyway, one time I said "Doo", my group of friends asked out of curiosity, if I knew the correct way to say it and I did not. They were not picking on my speech, but said that they found my way of saying "Dude" to be comical and made me unique. And thus, "doo" just stuck.

I particularly only say "Doo" especially if one of my friend (male or female) is having a dumb moment or if we were in a "WTF" moment. (Doo, what was that?) Which doesn't happen, so often.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Tossing my two cents in, I've often used the term, "dude" as a means to adress someone. Dude, buddy, pal, buster, sir, friend, etc. It's just part of my vocabulary and has been for a long time.

I can see why one might associate it in a slightly negative context, especially when using it in terms of "surfer lingo", but I've never been truly offended by it.

I prefer it to people using the term, "like".

I've used "dude" forever and probably always will. It's just part of my vocabulary and I use it as a term of masculine camaraderie.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've used "dude" forever and probably always will. It's just part of my vocabulary and I use it as a term of masculine camaraderie.

Dude... that is like... so awesome! And anyone who does not like get it; needs to like take a chill pill or like spark up a doob!

Last edited:

Dude... that is like... so awesome! And anyone who does not get it; needs to like take a chill pill or like spark up a doob!

Now you know I don't speak like that. I was using, "dude," long before Keanu was out of diapers. If you want to blame someone, blame Greg Garofalo. It's his fault.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
New (invented via Hollywood and modern literary fiction) words soon lose their potency. Often people will use them to try and fit in with a sub-group. I am not offended by the use of such neologisms, I just quietly chuckle at the affectation.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Now you know I don't speak like that. I was using, "dude," long before Keanu was out of diapers. If you want to blame someone, blame Greg Garofalo. It's his fault.
Dude seriously like chill... I was thinking about the lunch we had about a year ago when you were trying to imagine me in a fraternity at UCLA and going to keg parties and lighting my farts! Remember? (To those were not at that lunch...I never did that)