Does the use of "Dude" bother you?

Dude seriously like chill... I was thinking about the lunch we had about a year ago when you were trying to imagine me in a fraternity at UCLA and going to keg parties and lighting my farts! Remember? (To those were not at that lunch...I never did that)

No, but I remember that wonderful hug and the tremendous kindness of walking me to meet my date. It was a good time.

Seems like yesterday...right? XXXOOO! Me ke aloha and Shalom...BTW I'm going to Israel next summer so I need to expand my vocabulary dude!

Actually seems like ages ago, a different lifetime away.

Next year... in Jerusalem!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
It only bothers me when it comes out of the mouth of someone over 29.

Dewd!!! Us old bros can't use dude?? Man! Whazzup with that, holmes?

I tell ya, mate, dewd can be so handily applied. Thrown in here and there for whimsy. I luv using and occasional "dewd".

And that's a fact...jack.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i don't mind the word "dude." i'm from california and it's part of my vocabulary. but i'm not an idiot and i don't overuse the term.

the only time it gets under my skin is when its used to substitue every othe word. for example: "dude, seriously. cut the crap dude. dude you're being retarded. come on dude. what the fuck dude? seriously, dude." if it's like that, then it creates a problem.

i also can't stand the "bro," "brah," "bro-ski," and "brew-ski" terms. it irritates the shit out of me, especially if the person(s) saying it happen to be from the valley or the OC.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
None of them really bothers me if used sparingly. If it's every fifth word, that gets annoying. I do, however, draw the line at "brah". I just don't get it. It's one thing if someone is actually Hawaiian, but otherwise...
My sentiments exactly. I'd rather be called dude than old fart!

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Dude's fine as long as it isn't used incessantly. I use it occasionally when I need to address someone whose name I don't know [in a social setting of course].

I'm pretty much the same as above. Also in a setting like this, where you are responding to a pm and don't know their name yet. I also use "Bud", and have actually had someone ask me not use that :confused:

So how do you address someone, in a friendly, upbeat manner, when you don't know their name?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm pretty much the same as above. Also in a setting like this, where you are responding to a pm and don't know their name yet. I also use "Bud", and have actually had someone ask me not use that :confused:

So how do you address someone, in a friendly, upbeat manner, when you don't know their name?

I tend to overuse "Hi there!" nice to see you or hear from you, whether I know their name or not.

Last edited:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I hate it when people mumble....clarity is welcomed. There have been a few times where someone's speech pattern(s) annoyed me, one of them being "you know what I mean" being the foremost example. I had a co-worker exclaim it endlessly, and I nudged him to slowly stop it by saying "I don't know what you mean, you know what I mean?"

I don't know what it is, but I really can't stand it when guys use the term "dude" here...or elsewhere, for that matter. And even worse is when they spell it "dood". It is usually used as a derogative, as in: "Dude, you don't know what the fuck you're talkin' about, Dude!" Maybe it's because I can just hear the doped-out speech pattern behind that quote. Maybe it's because of may age...it was popular with pot heads in the mid '70's, I think.

Well, whatever it may be...does it bother anybody else?

The use of "dude" doesn't bother me, but I absolutely DETEST the use of the word "junk" that the younger generation of males have adopted to describe their genitals. The word "junk" implies something useless or not valuable. In my day, we referred to our male genitals as "the family jewels" which is more appropriate in my opinion because it implies worth and value. I was on another website where this was being discussed. The older guys seemed to have the same opinion as me, but the younger guys didn't really care and said it was an issue about nothing. I do believe though that language is a very powerful thing that carries a lot of baggage. If we reinforce the idea amongst younger guys that their genitals are "junk" they are likely to feel that it truly is worthless to have male genitalia. It's no wonder that the younger generation of males have such negative body issues and are ultra modest nowadays with this negative reinforcement all around them about their bodies. Females don't refer to their genitals as "trash", so why are males attaching such a negative term to something that is such a huge part of their maleness? I love having a penis and would never refer to it in such a derogatory way. I'm sure most of you feel the same way, or you probably wouldn't be on this site! :cool: