Does the use of "Dude" bother you?

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah it's bothersome all right. particularly when someone I don't know worth a shit uses it towards me like we're longtime friends. I had this kid who worked in a theatre say dude to me one time when I was talking to another employee . I think the term only has value if you know the other person real well.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Fun thread revival. Lots of memories on the re-reading of it.

One thing that always cracked me up, was that until the 1980's, "dude" was a pretty archaic term. My Grandfather, born in 1914, ALWAYS used it, as long ago as I can remember, and my mother said the same. When I was a little boy, she told me that it was just something that, "people used to say in the 'olden days'." In his case, it wasn't the modern, "Dude, wassup?", but a generic term for a "guy".

Out of curiosity, I found: Dude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some East Coast people are so uptight.

I hate it when people say "real" when they should say "really" (see bolded text below). It sounds as if the person is really uneducated.

Yeah it's bothersome all right. particularly when someone I don't know worth a shit uses it towards me like we're longtime friends. I had this kid who worked in a theatre say dude to me one time when I was talking to another employee . I think the term only has value if you know the other person real well.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I like bro, dude, and man. They're all turn-ons to me =/
Same here. Sir is great for business, but otherwise, I feel more comfortable being addressed more casually, especially by a younger guy.

Being a Southern California native, I tend to sprinkle my verbal speech with "dude", and sometimes "bro"....though "bro" is something of a bad habit that I'm letting myself fall into.
I like when guys call me bro. My neighbor who is a big time car guy calls me bro, and I feel like I've bonded with him. We talk about old Chevys regularly when I'm out at my garage and I see him working on his '58 Chevy. I know some people hate dude and bro, so I'm careful when I use those terms to not piss people off. To me, they are terms of endearment and less rigid than sir.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I generally don't mind "dude" in most contexts, and I use it semi-frequently myself (though I almost never type it).

"Bro," "Broski," "Broseph," "Brah," and all variants thereof and those people that use said terms make me shake my head disapprovingly.