Does this make sense-science and the athiest/religion extension thread.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well even if one takes in to account the natural adaptability of words this seems extraordinarily broad a field of translations.

Presumably it reperesents generations of personal interpretations of the one word compounded generation upon generation over time, mixed with the desire to read theological imperatives into an otherwise neutral or even contradictory text.

Bible translation is not like Evolution such that modifications accumulate over time. In fact some of the newer translations have the benefit of a few hundred years of more scholarship as well as access to ever older and more plentiful manuscripts. I think this is simply the natural vagueries of language attempting to communicate something that is imprecise to begin with.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Bible translation is not like Evolution such that modifications accumulate over time. In fact some of the newer translations have the benefit of a few hundred years of more scholarship as well as access to ever older and more plentiful manuscripts. I think this is simply the natural vagueries of language attempting to communicate something that is imprecise to begin with.

But no matter how many manuscripts one has access to, and unless the are an "original" ( whatever that might mean in this context ) one is always working from redactions, reinterpretations, revisions, e.t.c. In fact one could argue that the more versions of the text one has at one's disposal the further away from the original meaning of the words being copied and translated.

However I take your point that the main factor in this is the malleability of language trying to communicate ineffable concepts or mythical events.

B_Hamadim

Experimental Member
Media
Dude, this is as if somebody named Fred were to look through a book written in Italian, find a sentence in which the word "freddo" (Italian for "cold") occurred, and say, "My name is in this book, so it's wrong to translate it into English as 'cold'! It should be written as 'Fred.'"

"Machamad" is an adjective in Hebrew. It is not a name. It has no connection with the name "Mohamed" other than an accidental similarity of sound.

What is plain is that the word "machamadim" is an adjective in Hebrew, not a noun, and that to translate it into English as "Mohamed" is ridiculous. The Bible verse would then read "He is altogether Mohamed."

No, it is worse than you say. If InHamad claims that the word is Mohameddim, then it would read, "He is altogether Mohameds". The singular pronoun would not agree with its plural adjective.

Islam is the fastest growing religion and the second largest religion in the world, There are more than 2,000 million muslims around the world today, The Bible must have said some prophecies about this beside the rise of the Pope and Russia.

Jesus Christ was mentioned in the Quran 25 times, while Mohammad was only mentioned 4 times in the Quran, 2,000 million muslims must believe in Jesus christ as the Messiah, Muslims must believe that jesus had a miraculous birth when he was a child, Muslims must believe that Mary is the most purified woman above all women on earth, When we read the Quran and come across the name of Jesus christ, we have no Doubt that he is the same person you are believing in/worshipping.

Open the Bible and read John 16:7 (KJV), it says:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."
I say who is this Comforter? 2000 years have passed and still we heard nothing about this Comforter, I say the comforter is Mohammad.

Today, You Can buy the Bible in 2000 different languages, and in each language, they translated "machamadim" into 2000 different names with different meanings.
Jesus said to his desciples :"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now, Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come, he shall glorify me" (John16:13)
This is a unique verse for a unique personality, with 8 masculine pronouns, does it fit a Ghost? The verse is saying that he is a man a man a man, not a ghost nor a spook.

You may say that the spirit of truth is the Holy ghost, Come on and tell me what the Holy ghost said unto you for the past 2000 years?

I boast and no one have ever contradicted me before, Muslims have the lowest Crime rate, Muslims have the lowest Murder rate, Muslims have the lowest Suicide rate, Muslims have the lowest Alcoholic consumption, Muslims have the lowest Gambling rate and the Highest Charity rate, although we still have our Black sheeps.

Finally, if InHamad is still around, I wonder if he could provide a quote from the Qu'ran that supports Evolution? Although the people of Islam were extremely competent philosophers, mathematicians and astronomers (observationally, anyway) I would be surprised if 5th century Muslims would have figured out Evolution at that time.

The universe came into existence billions of years ago with a tremendous explosion called "The Big Bang", This is clearly mentioned in the Quran in the following verses:
"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together before We split them asunder ? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" Chapter Al Anbiyaa verse 30
Science tells us now that the life on earth originated from water, Even today while we are exploring the galaxies and actively searching for life on other planets, the 1st question we ask :"Is there any water on that planet to sustain life?", because without water life is impossible. Quran has told us about this reality some 1400 years ago, before the discovery of science.

Every living thing came out of water as a matter of fact 60% of human’s body is water.

There are number of verses in Quran that refer to the earthly origin of man, which the Science found later.
"Allah Almighty caused you to grow from earth." Chapter Hud verse 61
"We fashioned you from soil." Chapter Hajj verse 5
"Allah Almighty is the one who fashioned you from clay." Chapter Al Anam verse 2
"Allah Almighty the creation of man from clay." Chapter As Sajdah verse 7
"We fashioned them from sticky clay." Chapter As Saffat verse 11
"Allah Almighty (God) fashioned man from a clay, like pottery." Chapter Ar Rahman verse 14
"We fashioned man from the quintessence of clay." Chapter Al Muminun verse 11

Autofellatio

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
From what little I understand about religion (I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable in that aspect), God supposedly exists in a plane beyond space and time as we understand them.

Therefore, while sources like the Bible may claim that God created the world in a matter of days, evolution still cannot be thrown out of the window completely.

From the first statement that God exists beyond time and space as we understand them, wouldn't it be possible for the 'days' mentioned to have been in 'His time', as the Bible often repeats?

Therefore, what was recorded as a matter of days might have actually been a matter of millenia, and God might have created complex life through evolution. For him it might have been a few days, but on our plane of existence, it probably was several millenia.

As a person who has studied science up to at least undergraduate level, and who has also done reading beyond the course syllabus, I have to say that if anything, learning science has in fact created more reason for people to believe in a divine being, a Creator.

To quote the late author Michael Crichton in one of his books, "Saying that random elements and compounds can assemble themselves into complex organisms for you by lightning striking them is like saying a tornado can hit a junkyard and assemble you a Boeing 747."

Science is a study of what can be observed and quantified. If it is only one of either, then it is not under science, probably (ghosts, for instance; observable but not quantifiable). But since science cannot answer questions pertaining to the very basis of the origin of life, it could be reasoned that perhaps a Creator is out there, after all.

That's just my take on how science and religion can exist in parallel :)

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From what little I understand about religion (I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable in that aspect), God supposedly exists in a plane beyond space and time as we understand them.

Therefore, while sources like the Bible may claim that God created the world in a matter of days, evolution still cannot be thrown out of the window completely.

From the first statement that God exists beyond time and space as we understand them, wouldn't it be possible for the 'days' mentioned to have been in 'His time', as the Bible often repeats?

Therefore, what was recorded as a matter of days might have actually been a matter of millenia, and God might have created complex life through evolution. For him it might have been a few days, but on our plane of existence, it probably was several millenia.

Auto, you are not alone in thinking this. Actually, 80% of the world's Christians belong to denominations whose doctrines embrace science and formally recognize that the Theory of Evolution is the best explanation for the diversity of life on the planet. Most of the mainstream denominations are in this category. They usually have an official social statement about science and faith.

As a person who has studied science up to at least undergraduate level, and who has also done reading beyond the course syllabus, I have to say that if anything, learning science has in fact created more reason for people to believe in a divine being, a Creator.

This is what happened to me. Majoring in Physics somehow cemented in my faith in a Creator, but not by displacing science. But I am not alone either. Up until the 1700s, the major contributor to scientific knowledge were clerics in the Catholic Church.

To quote the late author Michael Crichton in one of his books, "Saying that random elements and compounds can assemble themselves into complex organisms for you by lightning striking them is like saying a tornado can hit a junkyard and assemble you a Boeing 747."

The late Michael Crichton was a very imaginative and entertaining writer, but in this particular regard (that you quoted) he is a hack. There is more of "the stupid" in that 747 junkyard analogy than most other people can fit in one sentence. I don't know what happened to Chrichton in his old age, but he became a real crackpot in his old age.

Given any one of the fields biology, microbiology, paleontolology, biogeography, and genetics alone, the evidence for evolution as the cause for the diversity of life is significantly greater than just about any other scientific theory we know. As for the origin of the first life forms, although the field is speculative, there are so many mechanism being observed now for the formation of self-replicating organic molecules from non-organic substrates that there is little doubt about whether that is possible or not.

Science is a study of what can be observed and quantified. If it is only one of either, then it is not under science, probably (ghosts, for instance; observable but not quantifiable). But since science cannot answer questions pertaining to the very basis of the origin of life, it could be reasoned that perhaps a Creator is out there, after all.

Except there is nothing that says these questions won't be answered by science. Progress on that front is proceeding as expected. That there are things in the natural world that science has not yet explained is no indication that science won't. There is nothing so far in the study of self-replication organic molecules that suggest that it will defy scientific investigation. Unlike ghosts, everything we have seen so far looks like it will be quantifiable, verifiable, and reproducible.

That's just my take on how science and religion can exist in parallel :)

This last argument is called an "Appeal to Ignorance". I don't mean to say that you are ignorant (in fact it was a very thoughtful post you made), but that there are natural phenomenon that are not yet completely explained by science is no proof that they won't be explained in the future. A good example of an appeal to ignorance would be, "Medical science does not have a cure for the common cold, therefore all of germ theory is wrong."

What we know about the natural world in the present is much more than we knew 100 years ago. And what we will know 100 years ago will be much more than we know now.

An argument by Appeal to Ignorance is something that science considers bogus. But the other aspect of your last argument contains something that theologians consider bogus. And that is the notion that one might believe God exists only because there are gaps in our scientific knowledge. This is sometimes called The God of the Gaps. You can imagine why theologians don't like this argument because the as the gaps in our knowledge get smaller every day, God himself gets smaller.

As a scientist would say, it appears that God is asymtopically shrinking towards zero over time.

I happen to be a staunch defender of science at the same time I am a devout Christian in a mainstream Protestant denomination. This is a topic I have been thinking about for a long time, and I have come to realize that faith and science are not imcompatible, but not because one can find scientific evidence that justifies faith (or lack of scientific evidence that justifies non-faith).

Don't let me discourage you from pondering the great Enlightenment question about God and the science of the natural world. One can spend a lifetime on this topic and not have it all figured out. Please post mor of your thoughts on this.

Autofellatio

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
This last argument is called an "Appeal to Ignorance". I don't mean to say that you are ignorant (in fact it was a very thoughtful post you made), but that there are natural phenomenon that are not yet completely explained by science is no proof that they won't be explained in the future. A good example of an appeal to ignorance would be, "Medical science does not have a cure for the common cold, therefore all of germ theory is wrong."

What we know about the natural world in the present is much more than we knew 100 years ago. And what we will know 100 years ago will be much more than we know now.

An argument by Appeal to Ignorance is something that science considers bogus. But the other aspect of your last argument contains something that theologians consider bogus. And that is the notion that one might believe God exists only because there are gaps in our scientific knowledge. This is sometimes called The God of the Gaps. You can imagine why theologians don't like this argument because the as the gaps in our knowledge get smaller every day, God himself gets smaller.

As a scientist would say, it appears that God is asymtopically shrinking towards zero over time.

I happen to be a staunch defender of science at the same time I am a devout Christian in a mainstream Protestant denomination. This is a topic I have been thinking about for a long time, and I have come to realize that faith and science are not imcompatible, but not because one can find scientific evidence that justifies faith (or lack of scientific evidence that justifies non-faith).

Don't let me discourage you from pondering the great Enlightenment question about God and the science of the natural world. One can spend a lifetime on this topic and not have it all figured out. Please post mor of your thoughts on this.

Oh, I take no offense at all :) In fact, I'm glad that you actually took the trouble to read through my post in its entirety :D

Oh, so other Christians have accepted Science as it is? That is indeed a blessing :D

Absolutely, a divine being does not displace science; more like as we understand science, we understand the mechanism of Creation itself, which complements theological studies of the Creator :) This, I believe, is where the theologians and scientists could actually reach a compromise most easily, since both of their fields will be of equal importance (a skilled workman can't work without his tools, can he now?)

Self-replication is fine; it's the self-assembly that I find the late Crichton's argument somewhat valid for ;)

With regards to how more questions will be answered in the future, I agree 100% with you. The gaps in our knowledge might be closing, but I believe that the gaps shall also remain open somewhat; maybe just a crack :p

Look at life as it exists today; thousands of things exist that were born of scientific progress, and humankind hasn't looked back. Indeed, as science advances, more knowledge is accumulated.

For more examples, look at the ancient Greeks; they believed Zeus was the cause of lightning, Apollo made the Sun rise, and many more. Today, we know that lightning is an electrical phenomenon, and that the sun rising and falling is due to Earth's axial spin.

Also I agree with your statement that, "it appears that God is asymptotically shrinking towards zero over time."

For the benefit of others who might read this; an asymptote in mathematics is a line on a plane that a graph will come close to - maybe even infinitely so - but will never touch. For reference, the graph showing the proof of Boyle's Law will suffice (Infinitely high pressure will not produce a substance with zero volume, therefore zero is an asymptote for the volume curve.)

God will always have a place in the human life; this is for certain. People believe in Him, I believe, because they need to have a security blanket, if you will.

They will need a belief that there exists a supreme form of impartial justice for the evil to be judged, that there exists a force that will watch over their loved ones when they aren't able to do so themselves, and many others. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but in my humble opinion, people believe in God due to fear.

Be it fear of injustice, fear of loss, or whatever else, they believe in a Creator due to some form of fear.

And since no amount of knowledge can totally eliminate fear, it can be logically concluded that no matter how advanced we get in science, God will still be here to stay in the human psyche, even if it is infinitely close to zero ;)

It may be a small amount of faith, but it is definitely still around :)

Here, I feel compelled to share a quote from the Doraemon manga by Fujiko F. Fujio:

"Science has enriched human life, but has diminished human beliefs."

The quote referred to how more and more people seem to lack belief or faith nowadays, simply because the things they once believed in weren't scientific.

Seems to go well with God's presence being asymptotically reduced to zero, isn't it? :D

---

And it is a pleasure to meet someone who I can discuss all this with, so thank you. I look forward to exchanging more thoughts with you :)

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't class something as being supernatural in origin if it was thought up by a human being. And revised and edited hundreds of times by other human beings to suit.

ie The Bible / religions based around "holy books". Key word there being "books".

Books are either fiction or non fiction. The Bible falls into the former category since many of its supposed "gospels" are complete fabrications and fantasies. eg garden of Eden, creation/age of the earth, etc.

All religions fit the same pattern. A pattern that you can see from Prehistoric Times to the current day. There's nothing supernatural or divine about metaphoric and allegoric stories, even if they happen to centre around supernatural or divine beings. Characters in works of fiction do not exist; they are not real.

Therefore, I don't need science to prove or disprove the "truth" of one religion or another.

Using common sense and looking History - which has no bias - it is clear that all religions stem form insecurity and fear that people had/have about the natural world.

And there have been so many religions now that it is impossible for any of them to be true. It's ridiculous that some people still believe in what amounts to a fairytale.

Last edited:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
....Using common sense and looking History - which has no bias - it is clear that all religions stem form insecurity and fear that people had/have about the natural world.

Science does not seek to prove or disprove the existence of anything supernatural. Only when claims are made about how the natural world is affected does science have anything to say. Science is mute on the subject of the supernatural, in other words.

As for what I quoted from your post, there are few things that are more biased than common sense and the field of history. And there is nothing in your statement about common sense and history that supports your conclusion about religion.

However, if it is simply a personal opinion of yours, I have to say that it you might be right about fear being the driving force behind man's propensity to create religion.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, so other Christians have accepted Science as it is? That is indeed a blessing :D

Yes, as I said, some 80% of all Christianity finds science to be compatible with their doctrines. These would be the RCC, the UCC, the Presbyterians, the Methodists. the Episcopalians, the ELCA Lutherans, and the Nazarenes. One of the things these denominations share is that they feel it is heretical to insist on a literal interpretation of the Bible for all passages. They don't feel that the Bible is without error, either, especially when it concerns phenomenon in the natural world. This is nothing new, and it dates back to 400 AD with St. Augustine, actually.

Absolutely, a divine being does not displace science; more like as we understand science, we understand the mechanism of Creation itself, which complements theological studies of the Creator :) This, I believe, is where the theologians and scientists could actually reach a compromise most easily, since both of their fields will be of equal importance (a skilled workman can't work without his tools, can he now?)

Its not really a compromise as such. Scientists simply go about their work characterizing the natural world. They don't do this in response or in opposition to what various religions might say about the natural world.

Whereas mainstream Christian theologians regard the Bible as inspired and authoritative on matters of faith and salvation, but not for matters of the natural world. This doesn't mean Genesis is unimportant, but rather it means that Genesis establishes some very important fundamental aspects of the relationships between God, man, and God's Creation.

It might sound strange, but a friend of mine is a Lutheran Pastor who is also a PhD in theoretical physics. His dissertation was on the first few milliseconds of The Big Bang. Yet he will look you in the eye and tell you that God is the author of Creation. However, he will not insist that Genesis is the exact description of God's process.

I will tell you the same thing if you ask me.

Noted evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould described this dual point of view as Non Overlapping Magisterium. What he meant was that science and the Bible are talking about two very different things, therefore they are not incompatible.

Self-replication is fine; it's the self-assembly that I find the late Crichton's argument somewhat valid for ;)

No, this is still a bogus analogy. It makes as much sense as me saying
"That complex organisms arose out of inorganic natural processes is as probable as the house I live in suddenly coming into existence from the interaction of dirt, water, and seeds from trees."
The problem with this analogy is that it postulates a single event that suddenly brings about great compexity through self-organization and self-assembly. In the case of evolution or my house, neither of these concepts play a role in building complexity nor does anyone claim they do (except for Creationists who erect bogus straw man arguments for evolution that they can easily refute).

With regards to how more questions will be answered in the future, I agree 100% with you. The gaps in our knowledge might be closing, but I believe that the gaps shall also remain open somewhat; maybe just a crack :p

Yes, the slope is asymptotic, but will never reach zero. I am the first to defend the awesome epistemology and success of science but not one to think it will be the path to universal truth. Science doesn't claim that either.

Also I agree with your statement that, "it appears that God is asymptotically shrinking towards zero over time."

Yes, but my statement was a defense against the notion of the God of the Gaps. It is not a God that I subscribe to, and it is not the basis for the compatibility that Christians find with science.

God will always have a place in the human life; this is for certain. People believe in Him, I believe, because they need to have a security blanket, if you will.

They will need a belief that there exists a supreme form of impartial justice for the evil to be judged, that there exists a force that will watch over their loved ones when they aren't able to do so themselves, and many others. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but in my humble opinion, people believe in God due to fear.

Be it fear of injustice, fear of loss, or whatever else, they believe in a Creator due to some form of fear.

And since no amount of knowledge can totally eliminate fear, it can be logically concluded that no matter how advanced we get in science, God will still be here to stay in the human psyche, even if it is infinitely close to zero ;)

It may be a small amount of faith, but it is definitely still around :)

Here, I feel compelled to share a quote from the Doraemon manga by Fujiko F. Fujio:

"Science has enriched human life, but has diminished human beliefs."

The quote referred to how more and more people seem to lack belief or faith nowadays, simply because the things they once believed in weren't scientific.

Seems to go well with God's presence being asymptotically reduced to zero, isn't it? :D

I do have to say that science makes it very easy to be an Atheist. Not because of anything overt that science does against faith, but because it eliminates the fear of things unknown that might drive people towards faith.

Fear might be a driving force for people towards religion, but it is a bad foundation for sustaining faith. In fact, any faith that relies on God making the universe a safe place for oneself is a faith that is doomed to failure. The oldest book in the Bible, The Book of Job, makes that pretty clear and it was written thousands of years ago.

---

And it is a pleasure to meet someone who I can discuss all this with, so thank you. I look forward to exchanging more thoughts with you :)

Yes, thanks for the interesting things you are posting here.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Science does not seek to prove or disprove the existence of anything supernatural. Only when claims are made about how the natural world is affected does science have anything to say. Science is mute on the subject of the supernatural, in other words.

I am inclined to agree with you that it is "only when claims are made about how the natural world is affected" that "science [has] anything to say," but this seems to me to have some tricky consequences. For if someone believes in something supernatural, then that person's belief is itself a natural phenomenon that invites explanation. The question of its cause (i.e., what causes this particular person, or perhaps anyone, to hold the belief) therefore lies within the scope of science.

If someone believes, e.g., that there is a unicorn in his garden that is observable only by his special and inscrutable perceptual powers,* then, I suppose, there can be no scientific proof that his belief is false. But the question "What causes that chap to believe that there is an invisible unicorn in his garden?" lies within the scope of science; and the possible answers can be divided between those that posit an invisible unicorn in the garden and those that do not. Prominent among answers of the latter sort will be the hypothesis that our friend is mentally disturbed. I would expect, if this were a real-life case, that much evidence would support this hypothesis. Indeed, our friend's belief in an invisible unicorn, given all the other things that we know about the world, would itself count in support of that hypothesis.

Of course, this does not eliminate the possibility that an invisible unicorn might make itself manifest to a mentally unbalanced person. So we could say that our investigation does not refute our man's belief. But it seems to me that it does show that no one should give any credit to that belief.

I believe that it can be proved by means of science and logic that no argument in support of supernatural beliefs is sound: that every such argument is based on false or improbable premises or make use of fallacious reasoning. Note that I don't say that we can prove the proposition that all arguments for supernatural beliefs are faulty, but rather that any such argument can be proved to be faulty. I do believe, however, that this claim is well supported by induction from previous instances -- which, I think, is as close as we get to proof within science itself, as far as the propositions of scientific theories are concerned. To show this in detail would amount to proving that we have no reason to accept any supernatural beliefs.

It seems to me that the religious beliefs of the vast majority of people certainly do have implications for how the natural world is affected. And to that extent, it seems to me, those beliefs can be shown to be false by scientific means. It may be that if people were better informed about and practiced in science and logic, they would give up a lot of their religious beliefs and reinterpret the rest so that the supernatural element in them was placed out of reach of empirical testing, like our friend's belief in the unicorn. But the question would remain whether there was any reason for those of us who do not share those beliefs to take them any more seriously as candidates for truth than we take our friend's belief in the unicorn.

*Readers of a well-known story by James Thurber will recognize my source. In Thurber's story, however, it is not clear whether the unicorn is in fact observable by only one man, or merely happens to escape observation by others.

Edited to add comment on JA's next post:
I do have to say that science makes it very easy to be an Atheist. Not because of anything overt that science does against faith, but because it eliminates the fear of things unknown that might drive people towards faith.
Also, it seems to me, because it undercuts all empirical arguments for religious beliefs.

Last edited:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
.... For if someone believes in something supernatural, then that person's belief is itself a natural phenomenon that invites explanation. The question of its cause (i.e., what causes this particular person, or perhaps anyone, to hold the belief) therefore lies within the scope of science.

Yes, I agree with this and scientists speculate frequently about why the human propensity for religion evolved.

I believe that it can be proved by means of science and logic that no argument in support of supernatural beliefs is sound: that every such argument is based on false or improbable premises or make use of fallacious reasoning. ...

I don't know of any worthwhile proofs or arguments for the supernatural that are worth spending any time on. I know that my own faith is not justified in any way by any sort of argument or proof.

It seems to me that the religious beliefs of the vast majority of people certainly do have implications for how the natural world is affected. And to that extent, it seems to me, those beliefs can be shown to be false by scientific means.

Yes, there are a great many religious people who imagine that God intervenes with their lives or with natural events all the time. Those claims could and should be easily refuted. For example, the prosperity gospel of Joel Osteen who preaches that God rewards faith with wealth and success in this world.

I hear lots of people say that God "has a plan for them", and he is helping them in their lives, and that "everything happens for a purpose". My usual answer to that is to ask them what was the plan and purpose for each of the 6 million Jews who died in The Holocaust. This kind of theodicy is bogus and even harmful to people's psyches. If you believe that your faith has earned God's protection from harm, what are you to think when you are diagnosed with cancer at a young age?

Yes, there are plenty of claims made by religions people that imply the action of the supernatural on the natural world. When those claims are made, they will appear on the radar screen of science and can be easily refuted.

This even applies to social issues. For example, fundamentalists believe that once they accept Jesus as their savior they will be better people. Yet the statistics for such things as divorce rate and other crimes are no different that people of similar demographics who are part of the "unsaved" population. In fact, divorce rate seems to be higher amongst the conservative Christian population when compared to the general population. Either they have not truly accepted Jesus or their empirical claim about God affecting their behavior is unwarrated. (Yes I know, or there is no God).

As for science, induction and proofs of the non-existence of the supernatural, I think you are asking too much from science. Science has a lot of problems in proving a negative proposition, first of all. Scientific proofs are weak assertions when compared to the kind of proof that one can get from mathematics.

Scientific theories draw their utility not from being proven so much as they do from being proven to be useful. They draw that utility from making extremely unwarranted inductive leaps from the singular existential to the universal. And they balance that audacity by being imminently falsifiable. There is nothing in the argument for Universal Gravitation that suggests in any formal way that it must be true. UG draws its acceptance from the fact that it continues to be useful in the face of the fact that it is highly falsifiable.

It would be very difficult to make the same kind of leap to the universal with a theory about the supernatural. You can start with the same kind of singular existential observations (i.e. this ghost sighting turned out to be bogus, or those voices from the dead during the seance were rigged, etc). But it is impossible to make any kind of universal assertion about the non-existence of God that would have any degree of falsifiability. Like any other theory, it would have to accumulate massive amounts of successful explanation and prediction, and it would have to fail to accumulate unsuccessful explanation and prediction before it enjoyed any degree of acceptance.

It is for this reason that science has to be mute on the subject of the supernatural. That science starts with the assumption of methodological naturalism is no small point. Science owes its very success to the adherence of that discipline.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There have been hundreds of religions and thousands, if not millions of gods.

I'm not aware of any religion that has declared that their gods do not exist. So if the religious texts and followers are all to be believed, there are millions of gods out there in the ether.

Does that seem likely? That we have Poseidon, Odin, Ra, God (Christian), Emuman, Mars, Brahma and shitloads of other gods all happily co-existing yet somehow remaining undetected?

Remember also that many of the religious explanations for events are completely made up. I've never seen the sun dragged across the sky by a chariot. Evolution isn't mentioned in the Bible.

That again casts a shadow of doubt on a scripture. If they're lying about how the sun rises or how life was created...what else are they lying about? Nothing? Everything?

So...either all of the gods exist, as the scriptures say. Or, none of the gods exist and they are all just characters in fiction.

It would be hypocritical of anyone to pick and choose and say that only one out of the many, many deities/religions is somehow "true" or "real".

There is nothing about any religion that somehow makes it more believable since they all follow the same basic pattern. There is nothing unique about any religion. It's all been done before. If it's not Dreamtime, it's Creation or Persephone, or it's Earthmaker.

If it's not God it's Zeus or it's Brahma or Ra. Etc.

If it's not Heaven, it's The Great Hunting Ground or Afterlife.

Does this demonstrate the "common sense" part of my earlier post? Or is this still my opinion? Maybe what's obvious to me isn't obvious to others?

It just seems logical to me that all religions are just fiction.

Or if anything, only the first ever religion/god(s) would be "true" or "real" since everything that comes after it would just be secondary/tertiary, millenary etc.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As for science, induction and proofs of the non-existence of the supernatural, I think you are asking too much from science. Science has a lot of problems in proving a negative proposition, first of all. Scientific proofs are weak assertions when compared to the kind of proof that one can get from mathematics.
Indeed, but the comparison seems to me at best idle, and potentially misleading. Surely any attempt to establish a conclusion outside of mathematics falls short of "proof" by mathematical standards: that is to say, no such attempt can be a deductively valid inference from axioms and definitions. (I don't think that there can even be any axioms properly so called in the empirical sciences; can there?) But I don't think that any reasonable person understands the word "proof" to imply such a standard where questions having empirical content are concerned. Further, if we did apply mathematical standards to scientific proofs, we could not coherently find the latter to be "weak"; rather, we would have to pronounce them to be simply worthless. In mathematics, if one's attempted proof of a theorem is not deductively sound, there's no consolation prize: it is not a "weak" proof but simply a failed attempt at a proof. In empirical questions, proofs are not "weak" by mathematical standards, but are strong or weak by entirely different standards of proof.

Saying what these standards are and what they are founded on is no easy task, and I am not about to take it on here; but at least some verbal sources of difficulty can be gotten out of the way. Some logicians and philosophers of logic use the word "inductive" to cover all standards of cogency in argument other than deductive soundness. Others use "inductive" in a more specific sense, to mean inference from some finite number of observed instances of a general proposition to the general proposition itself or to an as yet unobserved instance of it. When I used the word "induction," I was, of course, talking about an inference of this sort. But I did not mean to imply that scientific proofs in general are inductive in this sense, or that scientific theories owe their rational credibility to inductive arguments. The reference to scientific theories was, in fact, incidental. My claim was just that every argument for a supernatural conclusion so far has been faulty, and that it is rational to conclude that this will be true of any other such arguments that may be given in the future.

However, having said that, I now have to take some of it back, because my claims now seem to me to rest on a misplaced confidence in the stability of the term "supernatural." I think we all understand the term well enough to identify examples of things to which we would apply it, such as God, invisible unicorns in gardens, telekinesis, and so on. But it is not at all clear (to me anyway) what the rule is by which we apply the term to some things and not to others. There used to be -- probably there still are -- societies devoted to the supposedly scientific investigation of so-called "psychical" phenomena, such as mind-reading, telekinesis, and I'm not sure what else. Those seem like good examples of things that would be called supernatural phenomena. But if these people had ever produced replicable experimental proof of the reality of such phenomena, then the phenomena in question would thereby be proved to be natural phenomena, would they not? They might be bizarre natural phenomena for which we had as yet no compelling explanation; but there must be many such phenomena recognized within the sciences, such as abiogenesis, so-called "dark matter" (or rather the observed phenomena that dark matter is posited to explain), and, I imagine, all sorts of less cosmic and sexy phenomena of nature. Perhaps we use the term "supernatural" for putative phenomena which, if real, would be not merely difficult to explain but positively contrary to what we already know, or think that we know, about how nature works -- in other words, a putative phenomenon that we have good reason to believe to be impossible. But on that understanding, a transcendent God that does not manifest itself in nature in any unambiguous way would not count as "supernatural."

For this reason, I am not sure that I can sustain my claim that all arguments for supernatural realities can be shown by scientific means to be faulty. However, these reflections seem to me to generate as much difficulty for your claim, JA, that "science has to be mute on the subject of the supernatural," as they do for mine. I think that I made a mistake in taking the unexamined term "supernatural" over from you. Perhaps you have an understanding of the term that will give it a clear and fixed application. I know only that I haven't.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... But if these people had ever produced replicable experimental proof of the reality of such phenomena, then the phenomena in question would thereby be proved to be natural phenomena, would they not?

Yes indeed! Anything that can be measured, characterized, and independently verified would have to be classified as a natural phenomenon, for the practical purpose of science. And yes, this presents a problem for the definition of supernatural. For example, suppose you worked out a way to reproducibly detect the presence of specific phantasmogoric entities and distinguish between them, and suppose others could learn to do this successfully such that your process was verified. You would have to conclude that the phantasm you are detecting reliably is a natural phenomenon as far as science is concerned.

... ...Perhaps we use the term "supernatural" for putative phenomena which, if real, would be not merely difficult to explain but positively contrary to what we already know, or think that we know, about how nature works -- in other words, a putative phenomenon that we have good reason to believe to be impossible. But on that understanding, a transcendent God that does not manifest itself in nature in any unambiguous way would not count as "supernatural."

For this reason, I am not sure that I can sustain my claim that all arguments for supernatural realities can be shown by scientific means to be faulty. However, these reflections seem to me to generate as much difficulty for your claim, JA, that "science has to be mute on the subject of the supernatural," as they do for mine. I think that I made a mistake in taking the unexamined term "supernatural" over from you. Perhaps you have an understanding of the term that will give it a clear and fixed application. I know only that I haven't.

Yes indeed, there is nothing I have said that makes this any easier. What one has to do is to be able to support unresolved and somewhat contradictory notions in your head. The problem of theodicy is the most mysterious one of all. What I have done is to stop worrying about the fact that it is not resolved. I think about it a lot, but the lack of resolution itself is not something that is a big deal to my belief in God or my recognition that science works and works extremely well.

For example, I believe God is the creator of the universe, God is continuously working creatively in the universe, and that God is bringing the universe to some reconciled end (no, not the rapture, thank you).

But simultaneously, I believe it is completely legitimate to investigate the universe under the practical assumption of methodological naturalism, and I will not be surprised if we never find a need to depart from that.

But part of that seeming contradiction comes from the fact that I also think there are limits to empiricism, especially if you look closely at science itself, which you might say is the queen of empiricism. From a practical point of view, there are few things that we are more certain about than the predictions of well established scientific theories.

For example, Maxwell's formulation of E&M that he made 150 years ago or so still describes everything we know about E&M today, including predicting the possiblity and the characteristics of E&M waves. Here Maxwell was initially unaware of radio waves, but his formulation is so cogent that we use approximations derived from Maxwell's Equations to model the characteristics of radio antennas. How much more "right" or "true" can one expect to get out of a scientific theory.

However, we also know that all theories are provisional and will be replaced by newer ones, no matter how long each one stands and how useful they are in the meantime. That they are replaced by theories that are vastly different than the ones they replaced has to lead us to a conclusion that there is no convergence on ultimate truth.

Knowing this leaves me with less of a desire to classify everything as purely supernatural or purely natural.

So I let my faith in God exist side by side with my love of science and empiricism as what Stephen Jay Gould calls "Non-Overlapping Magisteria". I think about the issue quite often, but I don't let its lack of resolution be big problem for either my faith or my empiricism.

So what does it mean for me to believe in an active God who leaves behind no empirical evidence of his actions? I don't know the answer to that, and I don't think I will in my lifetime. I do love thinking and reading about it though. You might consider reading C. S. Lewis' on Miracles. Lewis is neither a theologian nor a scientist, but he is a brilliant atheist who inadvertently reasoned himself into a strong Christian faith.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
However, we also know that all theories are provisional and will be replaced by newer ones, no matter how long each one stands and how useful they are in the meantime.
O RLY? Sounds like a questionable inductive leap to me. :tongue:

So I let my faith in God exist side by side with my love of science and empiricism as what Stephen Jay Gould calls "Non-Overlapping Magisteria". I think about the issue quite often, but I don't let its lack of resolution be big problem for either my faith or my empiricism.

So what does it mean for me to believe in an active God who leaves behind no empirical evidence of his actions? I don't know the answer to that, and I don't think I will in my lifetime. I do love thinking and reading about it though. You might consider reading C. S. Lewis' on Miracles. Lewis is neither a theologian nor a scientist, but he is a brilliant atheist who inadvertently reasoned himself into a strong Christian faith.

I wish that you were a presence on some of the skeptical Web sites that I frequent. I get tired of the atheism that prevails almost universally among their contributors, apart from the occasional creationist stooge.

I've got Lewis's book but have not yet read it, though I've read Surprised by Joy, The Great Divorce, and some of his works of criticism and literary history.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
O RLY? Sounds like a questionable inductive leap to me. :tongue:

If so, its not my leap. This was the conclusion philosophers of science came to in the mid 20th century. This was the big revolution brought about by Thomas Kuhn. Kuhn's book, The Structure of a Scientific Revolution, is a kind of benchmark against which all PoS is compared these days. Love it or hate it, the saying goes in science that we now live in a post-Kuhnian world.

After 300 years of successful classical physics fell in just a few decades to relativity and quantum mechanics, it caused people to rethink the entire epistemology of science. That all theories are provisional is almost an axiom these days. It is more of an unwarranted leap to say that any one of them has happened upon universal truth.

This doesn't diminish the awesome explanatory and predictive power of scientific theories, but it does shift the epistemology from seeking truth to seeking utility. If something as sublime and essential as Newton's laws of motion can turn out to be wrong, what does that say about any theory, no matter how comprehensive it seems.

I wish that you were a presence on some of the skeptical Web sites that I frequent. I get tired of the atheism that prevails almost universally among their contributors, apart from the occasional creationist stooge.

I've got Lewis's book but have not yet read it, though I've read Surprised by Joy, The Great Divorce, and some of his works of criticism and literary history.

I would like to hear what you think about Lewis' book, Miracles when you get a chance to read it.

I frequent a lot of science blogs each night, especially in the comments section. But my main activity is wading right into the swamp of Christian forums full of Creationists. It is much like what you probably find in the sceptics forums, but without the home court advantage.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That all theories are provisional is almost an axiom these days. It is more of an unwarranted leap to say that any one of them has happened upon universal truth.

What I was disputing was the conclusion that all scientific theories are bound to be replaced by other theories. That seems to me an unwarranted confidence. No one can exclude the possibility that there are some points on which we never find anything better than some particular theory -- not necessarily because of the "universal truth" of the theory, but perhaps because of our own limitations, whether in the way of theoretical invention or ability to obtain pertinent evidence (as for instance concerning the existence of past, future, or parallel universes).