Does your faith limit you sexually?

bluepony

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
How does your faith limit your sex life? I know some very attractive single people (downright HOT) that are of a strong faith. I always have this perverse curiosity about what they allow themselves to do sexually. These people are getting off somehow? If this fits you - how do you deal with it? Abstinence? Oral? what?

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I am hoping lots of people answer this post, as I too am very interested in the answers to that question.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I was in a church group in college...and it was where I met a several of my fuck buds. Just because someone is of faith does not mean they are not getting laid. These guys were all very cleancut mascuine guys and if you saw them you would have no idea that they would queer out with another guy. LOL Plenty of guys and girls who met there hooked up as well. There were always rumors about who had hooked up with whom after some of the retreats and mission trips we took.

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not an atheist, but I don't follow any particular [religious] faith either (long discussion for another time and place), so it's a tricky question. Be that as it may, I say no, for whatever it's worth.

My first girlfriend though was "devoutly" catholic, so she was really into the no sex before marriage thing (although I think she was probably flexible on that if she found "the right guy"). That did not include, however, anything up to, but short of, actual sex. Giving oral, receiving oral, manual play, etc. was okay (thank god :biggrin1:). She was, and is, very sexual; though she religiously (no pun intended) advertises chastity, innocence, and lack of desire.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How does your faith limit your sex life? I know some very attractive single people (downright HOT) that are of a strong faith. I always have this perverse curiosity about what they allow themselves to do sexually. These people are getting off somehow? If this fits you - how do you deal with it? Abstinence? Oral? what?

If you're talking about fundamentalist christians, then I don't think they can have any sex outside of marriage. BUT then again maybe the guys have wet dreams (but knowing these christian crazies, they most likely think that any orgasm is EVIL!!!). I'm not sure about the girls.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you're talking about fundamentalist christians, then I don't think they can have any sex outside of marriage. BUT then again maybe the guys have wet dreams (but knowing these christian crazies, they most likely think that any orgasm is EVIL!!!). I'm not sure about the girls.

I used to be a fundy, and left it because of the sexism and sexual repression (well, and the fact that I like rock music, too!). I didn't believe in sex before marriage, or oral sex before OR AFTER marriage :eek:. I even felt guilty for masturbating, and didn't think I should really do that, either.

However, when I found out that the church was on the side of the people who had made my life miserable growing up, and against ME, I left, and changed my views 180 on the sexual stuff. I was fine with masturbating and got me some toys, too! I wanted to have premarital sex (in fact, I don't want to marry anyone WITHOUT having sex first - gotta know if we're sexually compatible, after all!). And while I still had some qualms about oral sex (just a problem with my upbringing - I have a problem with French kissing, too...), I have done it, and I am trying to get over my qualms about it (as long as the guy has good hygiene - that's one thing I DO insist on with that!)

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I felt that the more self-aware I was...the less I wanted a religion telling me who I should be with sexually. I felt that the more I read...the more limiting...the more distortion. So, I decided to find things for myself.

No straight people in my religious faith were abstaining. So, why should I? Straight peeps weren't hiding who they were so why should I?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I used to be a fundy, and left it because of the sexism and sexual repression (well, and the fact that I like rock music, too!). I didn't believe in sex before marriage, or oral sex before OR AFTER marriage :eek:. I even felt guilty for masturbating, and didn't think I should really do that, either.

However, when I found out that the church was on the side of the people who had made my life miserable growing up, and against ME, I left, and changed my views 180 on the sexual stuff. I was fine with masturbating and got me some toys, too! I wanted to have premarital sex (in fact, I don't want to marry anyone WITHOUT having sex first - gotta know if we're sexually compatible, after all!). And while I still had some qualms about oral sex (just a problem with my upbringing - I have a problem with French kissing, too...), I have done it, and I am trying to get over my qualms about it (as long as the guy has good hygiene - that's one thing I DO insist on with that!)

That was what I had to do. I had to unlearn all of the negativity and brainwashing in order to be the person I am today. But then, I learned a lot about people. You can have some fucked up religious folk, black folk, gay folk, lesbian folk. Whatever.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

No, my faith does not limit me sexually. Perhaps it should, but seeing as how I was still a virgin and saving myself for marriage when I was raped at the age of 18 . . . well, let's just say all bets are off.

To the best of my knowledge no religion condones pre-marital sex. I think that's why so many of these devout southern baptists get married right out of high school.
:rolleyes: :wink:

Last edited:

scotchirish

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I clash enough with my church by being gay....and drinking, and swearing, and probably a shit load of other stuff. I'm southern baptist, and a pseudo-fundie. I believe that for the most part the bible should be taken at it's word, but that there are things the fanatic fundies have taken too far...like I think genesis is like the hebrew asop's fables, the levitical laws were meant to help the isrealites rebuild and prosper after leaving egypt and were not meant to be applied to todays lifestyles, even the most fundimental women would have a fit if they could no longer wear clothes made of two different materials ;-)

all that to say, my only religious-based line is being promiscuous, it's neither physically healthy but psychologically (read spiritually if you want) as well.

jetjok9

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As a sexually active, non-guilt-ridden gay mid-fifties guy going to seminary, there are some religious folks and churches where sex is not banished as sick or nasty or sinful. I reject the sexual slavery that most institutional religions try to bind us with. God gave us glorious bodies and esctatic orgasisms. Religious folks are as diverse as non-religious, but all God's children were created to enjoy sex.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dude, I'm dying to know where you went to school (I went to school in Boston)

I was in a church group in college...and it was where I met a several of my fuck buds. Just because someone is of faith does not mean they are not getting laid. These guys were all very cleancut mascuine guys and if you saw them you would have no idea that they would queer out with another guy. LOL Plenty of guys and girls who met there hooked up as well. There were always rumors about who had hooked up with whom after some of the retreats and mission trips we took.

acheung

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My faith has definitely limited the ability to express myself and be who i really am.

Some of the stuff Ive been raised believng through my churchs belief's is that pre marital sex is wrong and a sin. Masturbation should not be happening because of physicological effect.. Personally I still feel shame when I do certain things because of that upbringing.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Yes. Part of my penis was cut off to satisfy my parents' religion's demands. Or rather what they perceived to be their religion. Their religion actually does not sanction genital cutting. They were just going along with everyone else in North America in the era of my birth. My parents were misinformed and (where it conflicts with their actions) choose to remain misinformed about their religion.

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
At the risk of being anal retentive... :eek: :biggrin1:

I personally don't believe that anybody's faith ought to limit them sexually. The reason why I'm saying this is because there's the tendency to confuse faith with religion.

Faith is personal. It is based on our beliefs. Even atheists have faith :eek: because much as they aren't believing in something (deity wise etc), they still believe in something...ie they have faith in there not being any deity. I'm unsure if this makes sense. Anywhoo...since our faith is personal, there shouldn't be any difficulty in reconciling it with us sexually.

Religion on the other hand.... :eek: When it comes to religion, in an ideal world (because many opt to follow blindly) ought to be based on our faith/personal beliefs and a community that echoes it (to a large degree). There's the need to really know what our beliefs are so that we are able to identify a group of believers that are "one of mind, heart and faith" as us, for us to join this group, so that we are able to move from personal to community and to bring our beliefs to expression.

As I said, anal retentive. Punish be sexehs! :smile:

I have no difficulty reconciling my faith to myself sexually and I certainly do not feel limited by it because it's who I am and what I stand for. On a religious level, I am able to reconcile all of it together as a Christian believer, but I am yet to find a group of people who mirror my beliefs and for this reason I do not practice or ascribe to any sect of Christianity at present. I do however use the Bible as my compass and means of nourishing my spirituality.

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i think my faith enhances my sexuality. sex, at its best, becomes this kind of transcendent cosmic act, where we commune with each other and the divine and enact that primal moment of creation (and recreation)...carnal fellowship, if you will. ;)