'Dog' Chapman sorry for using N-word

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

That
wasn't racist at all...
If there were a bit more Edward Nortons in American History X and less Edward Nortons in 25th Hour, niggers would be civil as fuck.

I don't even buy the whole schtick about, "Oh, it really means 'niggardly'," and that means..." blah, blah, blah.
Yes, it is beyond retarded. "Niggardly" is not etymologically related to "nigger."

Speaking of "nigger"...

Nas' Album Title Gets Support From Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, LL Cool J, Reverend Run
The artists are backing MC (although Jay calls concept 'misguided'); meanwhile, Duane 'Dog' Chapman's comments are adding fuel to the controversy over racist terms.

If Nas' master plan holds up, the first music from his controversially titled album Nigger will be out next week. There hasn't been an album that has caused this much ruckus without one note being consumed by the general public since, well, Nas' last LP, 2006's Hip Hop Is Dead. The title alone has garnered condemnation from civil-rights activists, some even going so far as to say that they will organize boycotts of the entire Universal Music Group if subsidiary company Island/ Def Jam goes ahead and releases the LP.

A couple of weeks ago, Island Def Jam Music Group Chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid told MTV News that he and his company stand fully by Nas and his album. Jay-Z, Def Jam's president and CEO, recently expressed the same sentiment of support, although he didn't necessarily seem to fully agree with Nas' reasoning.

"I know he's very intelligent and there a reason behind what he's doing," Jay told MTV News. "He's not just doing it for the sake of being provocative. Of course we're going to support his art. ... I hope [the concept] is coming from a great place. I believe it's coming from a great place. I just think [the controversy is] misguided. People give strength to words, power to words. If your remove 'nigger,' then you have 'jiggaboo' and 'porch monkey,' the words will keep continuing. How many words you gonna take out? People give the words power. I think we need to direct that [energy] towards the community.

"The first thing you do when you sit with a psychiatrist is they go back to your childhood. It all stems from there. So all these things that's happening in these neighborhood, the worst schools, drug-infested areas ... of course people are going to be hostile. So if you fix that, you fix self-esteem, you fix hope. ... Then they'll be another thing. But you can't remove a word and think all the problems don't exist. Like I said, it's misguided."

In recent weeks, Common, Akon, Method Man and others have expressed their support for Nas — but not 50 Cent, who said Nas is going for "shock value" with the controversial album name — and fellow Def Jam artist LL Cool J also says he doesn't have a problem with the title.

"It don't matter to me," he said. "Why not? It's great marketing. People are talking about it like they are talking about Hip Hop Is Dead. He's obviously going to have reason behind it. I don't think it's ignorant, because he's a real intelligent guy.

When asked to consider that Nas has said he's trying to take power away from the word, LL said, "He wants to make the anti-snakebite venom," and laughed. "He's giving [people] a vaccination, he wants to desensitize them. Why not? Do your thing. I'm waiting to hear the record. Nas is a grown man, he makes his own decision. It's an interesting title. I don't think the N-word is going anywhere. It's just a cultural thing. Does it offend me? It's according to who says it. Other than that, it's not going anywhere. What's the big deal?"

"I guess he wants to address that word," Reverend Run surmised, "I'm sure it'll get a lot of attention, and I appreciate it."

Run's older brother Russell Simmons' eyes lit up when asked about his take on the album name. He said he liked it: "Good title!"

"I think Nas is a very innovative artist," Alicia Keys said. "He's incredible, he's not a fool. If he has something shocking to say, it's because he wants you to pay attention to it."

Hateful overtones of racism were splashed all over the news on Thursday (November 1). Comedian Katt Williams had an animated exchange on CNN in which he explained why he wore a noose around his neck at the recent BET Awards. Meanwhile, A&E announced it would be suspending production of the reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" after a phone conversation between Duane "Dog" Chapman and his son — during which Chapman used the N-word twice — hit the Internet. Chapman's son was dating a black woman.

In a statement to CNN, Chapman said, "My sincerest, heartfelt apologies go out to every person I have offended for my regrettable use of very inappropriate language. I am deeply disappointed in myself for speaking out of anger to my son and using such a hateful term in a private phone conversation ... I was disappointed in his choice of a friend, not due to her race, but her character," he said. "However, I should have never used that term."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who has condemned Nas for titling his new album the way he did, released a joint statement with Abraham H. Foxman, national director and chairman of the Anti-Defamation League, relating to the Chapman incident.

"The recent epidemic of nooses and swastikas appearing in various places in our communities are acts of hate, and are intended to intimidate and instill fear," the statement said. "Such acts are despicable, and we call upon all people of good will — of all races, religions and ethnicities — to stand up and say such acts will not be tolerated."

Sharpton also wrote a letter to Chapman saying they should meet and that he should march with Sharpton during his "Washington DC March on Hate Crimes" rally on November 16.

Nas' Nigger is due December 11

Nas' Title Gets Support From Jay-Z, Alicia, LL Cool J - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I find it disturbing, the only time people apologize is after they have been caught. Are they apologizing for the actions or for being caught. I don't know this "Dog" guy, but in my opinion A&E should cancel his ass.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well Osiris just labelled Dog a "redneck". That in itself is also a derogitary remark. I dont have a problem with him saying it and shit if we are generalising then hell yeah he probably is a redneck! But why so much crap over remarks (i.e negative generalisations)that im sure pretty much everyone in the world has had come out their mouth at one point in their life!

That is where I disagree. Yes, I labelled Dog a "redneck", but I do not see redneck as a derogatory. My usage of redneck was to say that is just how rednecks are. They shoot from the hip verbally and when you do that, things come out. In this case it was the word nigger. In Dog's world, it is a word that to him is probably just identifying a class of black person. Does this make Dog a racist? No. IS Dog a racist? I have no idea, but this does not inherently make him one because he said it. There are terms that some of my friends use to describe themselves and some I can handle, some I can't. I will admit I use the term redneck, but I usually do not use it in the derogatory, I use it more as a culture identifier. Much like a friend from Baton Rouge refers to himself as "coonass".

If someone were to come out and tell me that redneck had the same stigma on them as the word nigger, I will be the first to apologize and modify my verbage.

So hopefully my clarifying puts this in it's perspective and sorry for the vaguery in my usage.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lpsg members!! This is not going to be a thread to start a Black/ White war with each other!!! I want us to be COOL with each other.." PLEASE!!
This thread was started by ME because so many people here in Hawaii HATE his GUTS already. Way before this happened. I started this to show you what kind of White folks we have in this great Hawaii...."

Also, thank you so much dreamer20, for the LINK. I posted that on my other two SITES...."

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess big Al and Jesse will be demanding that he lose his show on tv now.

That is where I disagree. Yes, I labelled Dog a "redneck", but I do not see redneck as a derogatory.

Try going into a shitkicker roadhouse and calling the people there rednecks. See if it isn't taken as derogatory. Is it as bad as nigger? No. In my experience there is no word that compares except perhaps for cracker. That one does hurt me.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lets see, you've labeled him a redneck and now an imbecile. Why? I just love the way people attack others and yet they'll swear they're not racist or bigoted in the least bit. It's a shame something like this gets so much attention, if he wasn't somewhat of a public figure you would have never even heard about this. I wish all I had to do was sit around and worry about what someone said in a private phone conversation. I think people need to start minding their own business.

lpsg members!! This is not going to be a thread to start a Black/ White war with each other!!! I want us to be COOL with each other.." PLEASE!!

We are cool with each other. How many people would even consider discussing this in a racially mixed environment?

This thread was started by ME because so many people here in Hawaii HATE his GUTS already. Way before this happened. I started this to show you what kind of White folks we have in this great Hawaii...."

Ummm.... you did not just say that. There are ignorant assholes everywhere in the world and they are not just white and not just in Hawaii. We have white people like that here too. I hope you're not saying that all white people in Hawaii are like that because it is not the case.[/quote]

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lets see, you've labeled him a redneck and now an imbecile. Why? I just love the way people attack others and yet they'll swear they're not racist or bigoted in the least bit. It's a shame something like this gets so much attention, if he wasn't somewhat of a public figure you would have never even heard about this. I wish all I had to do was sit around and worry about what someone said in a private phone conversation. I think people need to start minding their own business.

Touche. You've made your point about labels.

Personally? Dog is just Dog. He is what he is and where he came from. I recall a few months back when everybody was on his case about getting arrested. The man is a bounty hunter and he and his crew get rowdy and play hard. What the public said there was "OK, we love it when you are loud, rowdy, and rough to the guys you catch, but not to us regular folks."

And DGirl? Is he really a true example of the white people you have in the islands? I didn't experience that when I was there.

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hmm, this is indeed interesting. I have watched almost all of his shows and he never said or even came close to saying anything racist about anyone and he has dealt with damn near all races when he goes bounty hunting. The worst I have ever heard come from him was "bitch, motherfucker, etc" when he gets all riled up....

In the clip, it sounds like he was worried more about what would people think if his son was dating a black man, as all the Chapman men on the show date other white girls or Samoans. But, then again, I could be dead ass wrong, so yeah...:biggrin1:

Oh, yeah, one more thing. By his desk, on the show, he has a picture of Bush. I always wondered why he had one of those...:confused:

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Osiris, jason_els - I work in a store near my home. I deal with ASS HOLES all day. White and other. But, YES. I have not really came across a lot of NICE folks. To tell you the truth. So from my point of view on what I said is TRUE.
I am from Mo. The White folk their are a HELL of a lot nicer than the tourist that come here to Hawaii..."

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071102/ap_on_en_tv/people_duane_chapman

Lawyer: Chapman's son sold N-word tape

By JAYMES SONG, Associated Press Writer
Thu Nov 1, 11:00 PM ET

HONOLULU - Television bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman's son taped a private phone conversation in which the reality star used a racial slur repeatedly, then sold it to a tabloid for "a lot of money," Chapman's lawyer said Thursday.

"I guess because of whatever level of anger he had of his father, he felt the need to express it in that manner," attorney Brook Hart told The Associated Press.

Tucker Chapman could not be reached for comment; no one answered the telephone at a Honolulu number listed under his name.

The National Enquirer on Wednesday posted on its Web site a clip of a conversation in which Duane Chapman, star of the hit A&E series "Dog the Bounty Hunter," repeatedly used the N-word in reference to Tucker's girlfriend.

Chapman later apologized to his son and the woman, then learned about how the tape got into the tabloid's hands, Hart said.

A&E has suspended production of the series, saying the network takes the matter seriously.

"When the inquiry is concluded, we will take appropriate action," A&E spokesman Michael Feeney said in a statement Thursday.

The show, in its fifth season and one of A&E's top-rated programs, has not been canceled.

An after-hours telephone message for David Perel, the Enquirer's editor in chief, was not immediately returned. But earlier in the day, Perel declined to say how the tape was obtained, saying what mattered was what's on the tape.

In the conversation, Chapman urges Tucker to break up with his girlfriend. He also expresses concern about the girlfriend trying to tape and go public about the TV star's use of the N-word.

Chapman has said he was "disappointed in his choice of a friend, not due to her race, but her character. However, I should have never used that term." He also said he was ashamed of himself and pledged to make amends.

Hart said his client is not a racist and vowed never to use the word again.

"I have never seen anything that suggests he judges people by the color of their skin or racial background or anything but on their character," he said. "Duane lost his composure and made very, very inappropriate remarks, for which he truly regrets."

The TV series follows Chapman and his tattooed crew as they track down bail jumpers in Hawaii and other states. The show also stars some members of Chapman's family, but Tucker Chapman is not regularly featured.

The Honolulu-based bounty hunter first grabbed headlines for apprehending serial rapist and Max Factor heir Andrew Luster in Mexico in 2003.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I gather that the son (Tucker) doesn't like the father (Dog). He basically ruined his father's career. Does anyone know anything about their relationship?

Big en

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Two wrongs do not make a right. The man is a racist plain and simple and especially since it was a personal conversation.

I am of the opinion racism/bigotry is learned and not inhearent trait. Perhaps his parents we the same, yet continuing the cycle of hatred is just sad because we as humans should at some point question everything we have been taught and form opinions on experience but forgeting not to generalize.

Ps Nigger is derived from the word or adjective niggardly which means lazy. So say the word is a distinction of class is another dangerous generalization. As we know all classes (this term is so antiquated) can be lazy.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ps Nigger is derived from the word or adjective niggardly which means lazy. So say the word is a distinction of class is another dangerous generalization. As we know all classes (this term is so antiquated) can be lazy.

I love seeing people give "authoritative" lectures when they have no fucking idea what they're talking about. Ever hear of a dictionary, professor?

First, its etymology from the 14th century Scandinavian nyggart (stingy) is completely independet of and unrelated to that of the 18th century nigger, which derives from the Latin niger (black).

Furthermore, its definition has nothing to do with laziness. Niggardly means roughly the same thing as miserly, i.e. stingy, or reticent about spending .

Big en

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I stand corrected. Everything else is correct I assume since you have not corrected me on anlything else. So part does not make the whole incorrect then? Also please site references/footnotes (direct quote Winkipedia), you are so lazy Miss Know-it-fuckin-all