Doggone good neighbor policies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, Aug 9, 2006.

1. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

All right, for those who don't know this, I'm renting a room in a condo with a "friend" for the moment. Recently, the unit across from mine had been unoccupied. Well, I got woke up one morning from this large clutter of footsteps and scrapes, only to find this old black guy with two quasi junkyard looking dogs unlocking the door. Well, trying to be neighborly, I introduce myself, only to find Fido & Muttly(Nor their real names, who the hell cares at this point in time!:rolleyes:) take exception to this to say the least by yapping. I mention that I hope they're not like that all the time since I'm afraid of dogs. He informs me they're only that way to be protective of him.

So I forgot him for the moment. Well let me tell you; that following week found lots of discoveries.

One, not only did the puppies do all their barking at mine or anyone else in my unit's slight indication from behind their door,but they also accosted me when i came home from a late shift.

Two, in additition, one of the puppies was tied for the moment to the railing in the common area while the old guy was getting ready to walk them, when it was my day off & had to run errands. I walked cautiously to the stairwell, & had misjudged the slack of leash the guy left only to almost go ass over tea kettle when bowser bently jumped at me.

three, I came later on in that day with one stop at my storage space to pick something to aid me in this li'l dilemna. Well, the guy was on the stoop, with the puppies.

So, I politely say "Hi" as I saw the dogs sitting next to him.

The guy noticed my watching and asked"why're you standing there? I promise you they won't do anything."
    So I had to assume he was in earest & proceeded to take one step up the stoop, only to find the dogs take a snap at me.
    I was like, "Hey! what about what you said??!"

His response, guffawing was "Well, I said I promised, I didn't say they promised!"

"That's about what I figured." I said solemnly, & pulled out of my office bag a small black hand held device & pressed the button, only to find the doggies who previously one second were accosting me with barks, growling, & just plain nasty dispostion, were now shutting up & backing off, to the surprise & outrage of the guy.

"What the hell's that thing?!" The guy asked.
    "Simple. It's a dog chaser/pacifier. It sends out a mild signal that only dogs & cats can hear. I use when I rollerblade to keep pesky li'l dogs from accosting me."

"Well, don't you use that on my dogs!" He said, angrily. "They was just havin'
    fun!"

"Yeah, reeaal funny!" I retorted. "Not only do they accost me when I come home at night from a late shift from work, but I damn near broke my ankle trying to slip past the german shepherd & he barked at me."

The guy was faltering, trying to find an excuse for their behavior, "Well, they don't know you!" he attempted.

"It doesn't excuse their behavior, and you know it."

"I could report you to the community corporation for using that thing on my animals" he bluffed, "that's cruelty to animals, you know."

"The way I look at it, self defense. And this thing, as you so kindly put it, is legal in every state." I responded. "And if you wanna talk about reporting something, I could report you to Animal Control for harboring dangerous animals, & failing to control them."
    After that, I walked upstairs to my condo & haven't heard hide nor hair of the guy.

I dunno, I know I didn't break any laws by using the Dog chaser on the pooches, but what does the consensus here think? Was I justified? Did the guy have a right to compain even after he pulled that "I promised, they didn't split hair " thing?

And by the way, the dog chaser, doesn't emit a powerful enough sound to hurt the dogs ears, just barely enough to stop & make them think.

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Shoot his fucking dogs.

There are people in my neighborhood who walk their dogs. We have a clean up after your dog policy. I find dogshit on my yard all the time.

I have told two community neighbors that they needed to clean up after their dogs, plainly and bluntly.

People with animals have to train them to respect other people. And the People WITH the animal need to be respectful of others as well.

I dont want your kids or animals harassing or disrepecting me, period.

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I can't imagine that your condo association does not have pet policies. Check up on them. In the meantime, if you see the man again, let him know bluntly that you are fine with the dogs as long as he controls them, and that if he does not control them, you will handle the situation yourself. Keep your sonic blaster with you and use it if necessary. Pet owners DO have a responsibility. Although caution around animals is always prudent, it is not your responsibility to have to work around his pets. He should never leave one tied in a common area unattended.

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Lemme tell you something there, Lex;

I could've easily gone the route of one of my mailman friends, & bought myself one of those mace or jalapeno red pepper sprayers.

but that would've constituted cruelty to animals, and all I wanted to do was shut the miserable li'l fleabags up and keep their choppers to themselves.

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

My aggravation came through in that post. I think you did the kind thing. And I am not for cruelty to animals, so I need to revise my previosu post:

Shoot the fucking owner.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Hearing reports like this gives me the shivers. Those animals are dangerous, and their owner is in denial about it. They are not under his control, and it's a matter of time before the dogs hurt or kill someone, probably a child or an old person, or someone like you who's afraid of dogs.

I say report him and his dogs now. If you don't and they cause an injury or death, you will regret it. Dogs that show that kind of aggression with so little provocation are dangerous.

Until the authorities do something about them, I think you should carry pepper spray with you. Buy the strongest concentration allowable by law. If the dogs get aggressive, nail 'em both. That's important. Don't shoot one of them and try to walk away. The other will likely attack you if you don't disable him at the same time. If their owner says a peep, hit him in the eyes with the mace as well. Then call the cops. But it will never reach that level if you alert the authorities now.

My perspective is one of a dog owner who has always kept well-behaved animals that were always completely under his control. Even my Boston terrier puppy, who will never be very big, can do serious damage to a child. I understand that and take my responsibilty as a pet owner extremely seriously. I am teaching her that there is a right way to approach humans and other dogs.

A person who teaches his dogs to be aggressive does not deserve their company and should have his animals confiscated. It's far more cruel to a dog to teach it to do harm than it is for you to use your little sonic defensive thingie.

You have the right to defend yourself. Use everything at your disposal to do so.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

A person whom I have known very well for many years works in Injury Compensation for the USPS. She told me that an overwhelming majority of the claims filed are for dog bites (and an overwhelming majority of the dogbite cases involve pit bulls, go figure.) Almost without exception, the owner will say "My little angel has NEVER done anything like that before." Yeah, right. Simply put, most dogs are territorial, many are aggressive. Period.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Man, Chuck, that's ruff.

9. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Being a dog lover and owner of dogs for 18 years I have to say that I am in full agreement with the action you took.

IMO there are very few bad dogs but lots of bad dog owners. Dog owners need to realise that other people don't always share the same sentiment about their dogs that they do themselves. Not even the most avid dog lover wants to hear neighbours dogs barking incessantly.

People who do not clean up after their dogs are just as bad as those who do not keep their animals under control - basically they are fucktards.

I think you should satnd your ground on this one and take whatever action you need to in order to protect yourself and your comfort.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that people who want to keep dogs should have to attend classes on keeping and controlling them. That would be very difficult to Police and administer but not impossible.

10. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Irresponsible dog owners piss me off to no end. This guy sounds typical in thinking the dogs are fine as long as he's with them. I'll echo the others here: you did the right thing. Keep that device with you at all times and you'll find the dogs will back away when they see you each time. If you feel there is a chance he's abusing or neglecting the dogs, you can call animal control and anonymously leave a message with them. Unfortunately, the day will come when he isn't around and one of the dogs will zero in on someone they perceive to be vulnerable, usually a child, and bite them. Most of the stories I read in the papers are about children being mauled. I live in Wilmington, DE and there is an ordinance stating all pit bulls and rottweilers must be registered with the city. Nothing wrong with these particular breeds but many idiots buy them, abuse them, and turn them into killers.

I'm a dog owner and made a decision to put my Australian Terrier to sleep 2 years ago due to aggressive behavior. It was one of the most difficult decisions i've ever made, but I did everything I possibly could to change his behavior. Enrolled him in obedience school 3 times and even hired a certified animal behaviorist to observe him and advise me of other possible measures. The behaviorist came well-recommended and his success rate is listed at 97% with animals. After 8 months of working with him, he informed me that he had never seen a case quite like mine where the dog didn't respond to disciplinary tactics and said he could never be around children or others who might be vulnerable (at this point he had already bitten my other dog twice and I had to keep him on a leash when others came to the house). He also suspected something might have gone genetically awry in that particular litter. I couldn't stand the thought that he would harm a child (and there were many in my neighborhood) so I made an appointment with the vet, spent my last few days with him at the park, and wept as the vet put him to sleep.

Since this tenant won't take responsibility for his dogs, do whatever is necessary to feel safe. No one will fault you for it and, again, don't hesitate to call animal control if their aggressive behavior escalates.

11. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey Chuck,

You did the absolute right thing!

You have been given some great advice here. It is not your responsibility to appease the irresponsible owner. It is his to make sure that his dogs are kept at a safe distance if they are aggressive. What he is doing is purely antagonistic, and he is getting pleasure from it. I strongly agree with Hickboy. Stronger precautions are definitely advisable in this situation. I second the recommendation of reporting this now, before the situation worsens. I know it's hard and will make for uncomfortable moments, but it can prevent a serious injury in the future.

I also sincerely agree with Daverock. I have owned dogs pretty much my entire life. And not just "pet" dogs. Everything from Chihuahuas’ to Rotweillers and Pits. Almost every breed has the potential to be trust worthy or dangerous. I used to hunt with dogs. I also trained many dogs for other hunters. I have had over 20 Pit Bulls and currently have a 4 month old Red Nose female pup. I have only had one that I couldn't completely trust around anyone, so he was put down. About the worst that my puppy, "Jaz", will do is that she can leave a slight welt on you if her tail hits your skin, because she's wagging it so hard, lol.

I love to talk animals and could easily make an extremely long post on the pros and cons, or training, but don't want to hijack the thread and it's original intent. Suffice it to say that any aggressive dog is a potential danger and you shouldn't have to be confronted with it at your own home.

12. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Chuck, I am moving into a townhouse with lots of regs, including having my small dog approved. You probably have more rights than you think. Have you read the association's handbook?

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Unfortunately, since I rent there, ColJohn , I really have no use for it as a non-homeowner. But i have asked my friend/homeowner/landperson to proxy my concern about this situation.
    Hopefully, he can resolve this in the community corporation's next bi-monthly meeting at the clubhouse.

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Chuck:

You handled the situation with admirable maturity and restraint. But when push comes to shove, you are always justified in defending yourself against attack. I've done the same in similar situations.

Lex:

I have neighbors whose dog occasionally shits on my lawn. I've asked them to clean it up. They deny responsibility. So, I simply shovel the turds onto their lawn every chance I get.

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

UPDATE:

I just talked to my friend whom I'm renting the condo room from, and she's finally been convinced after all this to file a nuisance grievance with the association.

Seems as if I wasn't the only one who was getting tired of this, eh?

16. Gisella

Gold Member

Chuck you are such a nice and patient person..:smile:

I could kill my neighboors ever barking histericaly Chuaua easy easy...:tongue: if I had the guts for it...it's a cute little thing but always irritantly barking to everyone or thing...:rolleyes:

Anyways hope everything will be fine and peaceful for you.

17. sares

sares New Member

I want one of those silent alarm things! what a perfect response.

18. GoneA

Gold Member

They're good, but they're cancerous.

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I would except that the fuckers walk from three or four streets away. Bastards.

20. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:

first you are right by using the dog control device, you were defending yourself from harm. everyone is in agreement there.

next time something happens (owner or dogs), get the law involved, you nor should anybody else have to put up with all that bullshit, and if the association doesn't do anything about it, then it's time to get a lawyer involved, file a suit against the association, since it was brought up at the meeting, they are fully aware of the situation, just because you and some others in the building are renters, doesn't mean they don't have to responsibity to your safty that is within control.

I too am a big dog lover, I have a dog myself, I have always had a dog, and I will till my dying day, but I won't have a dog that is aggressive, as much as it would kill me, I would have a overly aggressive dog put down.

I used to work with a guy that had a pitt bull, and that dog was just as lovable as they can get, that dog could never get enough attention, it's all in the way they are raised, a good friend of mine had a damn little chihuahua
    and that little bastard would aways try to take a bite out of anyone that was in the same room, there was a few times I gave that son of a bitch a good kick accross the room after it bitten the back of my leg. that bastard should have been shot, and I would have been honored if I was the one to pull the trigger.

now with my own dog, there is only one time that I never cleaned up after her, that is when she shit in the mayors front yard, and since my dog done that, I had to give her a good reward when I got back to the house, sad to say she only shit in the mayors yard only once, but there is hope that she will do that again.

Draft saved Draft deleted