Dogs

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by shad24, Apr 22, 2007.

1. shad24

shad24 New Member

Just curious. How many people on here have dogs, cats, gerbils, frogs, or crabs?
    I have 3. a german shepard I rescued from the pound 13 yrs ago.
    a 'cow' who came by to play one day and never went home. She's now 150 lbs. was 40 lbs when she came here and poor health.
    A jack russell terror, another stray, she went blind shortly after showing up. Now today, another terror showed up on my step.
    Do you think they talk and share info?

2. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:
    I have always had at least one dog, I could never imagine myself without having a pet around, I have a beagle, she is quite the goofy hound, lots of entertainment, though she likes to get into her share of trouble, just like a kid.

in the past I had a couple of dalmations, the first one was born deaf (common with dalmations), she kept breaking loose from her chain when I would be at work and one day was out near the highway, so I had no choice but to find her a real good home, some people that had a big fenced in yard took her in, and that dog was so happy, and was very protective of thier kids, so that was a win win situation there, the second dalmation that I had, I rescued him from a highly abusive situation, I saw the people whipping him with a garden hose and kicking him, so later that night, I went to that town that I saw this happening, and I went and took the dog and brought him home, and showed that dog the love and care that he needed, I did find him a good home out in the country where he could run, he was a very happy and carefree dog.

I hate it when people will take in a pet and abuse it, there is no excuse what so ever for beating an animal, a lot of a dogs behavior has a lot to do with the way it's being raised, pets can be a huge responsibilty and work, but in the long run, they are so worth the efforts and rewarding.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

4. shad24

shad24 New Member

Sasha, the shepard is my protector. she loves people till she thinks I am in trouble. Then look out! she wont do anything unless I tell her to. have never trained any of them. they just know and she trains the others. In the winter I put their harness on and they pull the neighbors kids down the street. the terror seems to have forgotton she is blind and is as active as the others. a little bossy but what the hey? had a cockapoo for 13 years. and a pit/lab for 11. seems like losing a kid when they have to go.
    people who come by tell me I have a 3 bedroom doghouse or else the house dogs built

5. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok here's the list:

Chihuahua's
    Standard Poodle
    Choclate Lab w/10 puppies born day before yesterday... I'm a grandpa!!
    Schnauzer's--George and Gracie
    Two Great Pyrenees--Amos and Alice
    150 Boer Goats Watched over by Amos & Alice
    7 Paint horses
    15 head of cattle
    Chickens
    Guinneas
    Ducks
    Pea fowl
    I'm sure I've forgot something.
    Oh yea, The Bug... LadyBug she's a Red Heeler.

6. Dazza

Dazza Member

Albums:
    Cat, 1. Called Max. A lean mean hunting machine.

Self confessed dog-hater I'm afraid. No way I would leave my child alone with a dog, any dog.

Hell wouldn't even like it if I was in the room with her with a dog. I have seen what they can do in 10seconds to a child. It ain't pretty.

7. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've two rats and a macaw.

I'm NOT a dog person. I do not like dogs. I'll be nice to your dog, but I don't want one of my own. Kinda like children.

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I have one dog, his name is Patches. He's an Australian Cattle Dog mix, but I'm not sure what the mix is. I'm thinking some breed of bird dog. But he's a sweetheart. He's incredibly hyper and licks everyone and everything he sees. We adopted him almost a year ago from a shelter. He weights between 40 and 50 pounds, and thinks he's a lap dog. We also have two female white mice, my son named them Max and Tweety. Max isn't a very feminine name, so we decided that it's short for Maxine.

9. naughty

Gold Member

I love this thread. Unfortunately all of my dogs are now deceased. My first dog was an erascible Chow named Pepper who had the misfortune of acquiring the mumps at the same time I and my brother had them! LOL! THe second was a Terrier/ poodle mix BeeBee who lived to be 13 and died of complications from diabetes, The last was a black labrador named of all things Spike (my brother named him) he was a sweetheart. However,he had no sense of scale.He too thought he was a lap dog and would drape himself across your lap with either end hanging off the edges. Unfortunately, he died in a car accident and was put to sleep. At some point I might like to have another dog, but not at the moment. Other pets we have had have been: three gerbils , 3 parakeets, 4 turtles, 3 rabbits,two guinea pigs, two jack dempsey fish, five lion headed koi.

10. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My best bud is Craig, a shorthair, taffy-colored kittycat.

11. DGirl

Gold Member

I have two BIG, HUGE, cats back in Mo. They will be in Hawaii next year.
    But, I would love to have these two animals.:biggrin1:

MSN video

12. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I have a dalmatian named m&m's. I have helped breed, and shown dals in the conformation ring.My first two were brother and sister,Monster and Irene. Formally known as Heiloh's Upper Echelon & Heiloh's Soul Sister!
    I don't understand how people can hate dogs because "they can tear
    a childs face off". It's not the dog. It's the asshole's who mistreat and don't take care of the dogs. I have never seen a bad dog, only dogs who have been horribly mistreated by some worthless,bad owner.
    How can you buy a "shnoodle"? I don't understand why people think
    combining two purebred dogs, gives you the "best" of both. It doesn't! It gives you the worst traits of both animals,your combining dogs whose
    linneage hasn't been tested together.What kind of fool would pay $1000.00
    for a mutt? Go to the pound,give them a few bucks and get a decent dog
    who needs a good home! Please don't cater to the greed of disreputable
    so called 'breeders". Please.
    Cigarbabe:saevil:

13. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

I've got an Australian Shephard named Max, whos about 7 years old. When I get out of college and am on my own I plan on buying an English Bulldog and naming him either Percy or Charles (or some other classical english name). I also have 6 fish, 4 Silver Dollar Tetra, one Tiger Barb, and a catfish like shark, forget the real name :)

14. snoozan

Gold Member

I had an Australian Cattle Dog mox and he was absolutely the best dog I've ever had... and the ticking oh his coat made him look almost exactly like a German Shorthiared Pointer. As far as we knew, he was mixed with an AmStaff. He was sweet, obedient, smart, and, like yours, a lap dog.

This is the best way to get a dog unless you are getting a specific breed for a specific purpose. Those dogs need homes and most make wonderful pets since they have been temperament tested and had some vet care. Adult dogs are wonderful because they are generally house trained, calm, and have settled into their personality. Also, most shelters spay or neuter their animals as part of the adoption which is not only good practice in general but also costs a hell of a lot less than what a vet charges.

Australian Shepherds are cool dogs, very smart, and very pretty. A friend has one named Jethro and he's a great dog.

At the moment I have an SPCA special named Duncan. He's almost 8 months old and he spent the day today running around with my mom's dogs which has turned him into a couch lump for the evening. He's at least part pit bull. He's a redhead with amber eyes and big goofy ears. He loves to chew things right now which makes me crazy, but otherwise, he's a cool dude.

15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

A Jack Russell named Oliver, a Boston terrier named Charlotte, a cat named Keiko, a cat named Jackson, a fish named Swimmy, a fish named Tiger, and a snail named Bouncy.

16. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
  17. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: = Sounds like ANIMAL FARM you got there boi...Enjoy!

I've got more animals then I care to even list...I do live on a farm:wink: :biggrin1:
    Can I send some of them to you...then you can build a zoo.
    I'll come visit.
    It takes a special person with a kind heart to share there love with animals. They sense a kind soul:wink:
    However, I've heard some strange things that's done with those gerbils.:eek:
    About like the stories you hear about sheep farmers and chickens:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Be Safe, Be Careful, & Enjoy guy!
    Whopper-lee:smile:

18. shad24

shad24 New Member

You guys are great! reminds me. One of my kids cant stay still. When she first moved in here, everything was exciting and tasty.
    she ate candles, drinking glasses, cable, phone lines, chain link fences. she pulled up two tree stumps and was busy dragging them across the yard.
    used to live across from the 500 track and my lab used to escape from time to time. had 30+ people return him during one race. they gave up their seats and all to make sure he got home safe. Him, I will always miss

19. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I've always been a dog person but recently got a cat, they're rubbish pets, they won't come when you call them, they won't sit still and be stroked, they just do what they want to do - a real pet sucks up to you and acts like you're the centre of its universe.

20. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.
    Hahahahaha! As always S.P. well said!
    Cigarbabe:saevil:
    Also people please stop buying from "PET STORES" please.
    You only perpetuate that, they will keep breeding
    at the puppy & kitty mills. Please reseach the animals you buy,or
    go to your local pound! And if they won't give you papers at the time of purchase,walk away! Call the numbers listed and see if they exist!
    The numbers are usually bogus from pet stores,or disconnected.
    This has been a public service message from your local
    LPSG.org member!!:fing02:

Draft saved Draft deleted