Dole - Petraeus for 2012: Why Not?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Principessa, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Dole - Petraeus for 2012: Why Not?

Bob Dole played pundit (and potential candidate!) this morning, following up on this report by floating David Petraeus for President.

GEORGE: "Tell me about Petraeus for President?"

DOLE: "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time." [laughter] "But, I don’t know him, I haven’t met him, I don’t know him, don’t know his politics, so he may be in the other the party… but he always impressed me by being very candid with the American people, laying it all out there. Kind of like an Eisenhower. He may not be verse in all the kind of things we do in Congress and in the Administration, but he’s a quick study.

GEORGE: "So would you like to see him on the ticket for the Republicans?"

DOLE: "Sure why not, maybe I can run with him."

Dear God! I can't think of anything more frightening other than perhaps a Palin/Limbaugh ticket. :yikes:

Please, this is just ludicrous. Dole is 110! Wounded war vets are not owed the presidency as a thank you. I thought we made that clear to John Mc Cain about a year ago. :irked:

Doles comments sound like he may be having an arterial flow problem. I don't think his brain is getting enough oxygen. :frown1:

2. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Quite obviously it was said tongue-in-cheek. No way in hell would Dole run again at his age. Petraeus, on the other hand, is undoubtedly the most brilliant military mind we've seen in decades, and he'd at least make an outstanding Secretary of War.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

"is undoubtedly the most brilliant military mind we've seen in decades"...............just bring up his connection to zippy w. bush and that will be the end of that.

4. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

He was in the military long before Bush was president retard. Jeeze, you say the absolute stupidest things Hoax.

5. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't watched the video (started to play it and was so annoyed by the ad that came on that I closed the page), but it's obvious from the transcript that Dole was joking. He has always had a taste for grim humor.

Palin and Limbaugh -- now that would be a ticket to watch! :popcorn:

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm rooting for Cheney/Palin 2012..........the DEMOCRATIC dream ticket.

7. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately, Cheney is too smart to try such a thing. He explored the idea of running for president once, I think in the 90s, and came to the conclusion that he would be no good as a candidate. He eventually figured out that he could have all the power that he wanted by being George W. Bush's vice president.

Still, it's entertaining to imagine such a thing. I recall the Monty Python sketch in which Mr. "Hilter" (John Cleese) is running for parliament in Minehead. A woman says to the camera, "Well! I gave him my baby to kiss -- and he bit it!"

8. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    I don't think it was a joke at all. We've focused so much on presidents with economic, legal, and other such specialties lately, that I wouldn't see a big issue with having a real general in the presidency. People think the knowledge base of a General is nothing but war, but just as much as it is to a politician, a General would prefer to avoid war as much as anyone else. It's a leadership position with strong requirements of fast(and GOOD) thinking and planning, which is effectively the requirements of the Presidency.

I may be wrong, but I think the last president which held a position of General before coming into office was Eisenhower. Likely the reason he was compared to the same.

Oh, and I believe the transcript is slightly wrong; it sounds more like "I don't know him, I've met him, I don't know him, I don't know his politics".

If you are going to claim he doesn't deserve the presidency because he's a wounded war veteran, at least don't ignore the fact that he is an excellent General, and Generals are excellent leaders for countries(A couple very notable presidents come to mind). If political affiliation is enough to make you push down a good person for the job(possibly even the best available), given his comments, I would consider him more of a political outlier; in reference to running for presidency, he himself has stated he has no political ambitions. Personally, I prefer to read into this a little bit; Given all of the problems with right/left, it'd be nice to have a president that doesn't have Political ambitions in place of Social, Developmental, or Diplomatic ambitions.

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Better still, Palin/Cheney! That way, he can once again go about doing all kind of shit on the sly while the other guy just thinks he's in charge.

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    You must be talking only about his suggestion that Petraeus run for the presidency. When I said that Dole was obviously joking, I was referring to his remark, "maybe I can run with him." That seemed to me the main subject of NJ's comments.

11. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    And John Kerry in '04

12. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't believe petraeus has revealed his party affiliation.........perhaps he is a Democrat at heart.

13. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm waiting for Gingrich/Limbaugh!

Sklar

14. houtx48

Gold Member

"Bush was president retard"...........you either agree with me about bush or you skipped English class, several times. you say the funniest things.

15. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Gah, I swear the daily goings-on of this forum corrupt absolutely. In truth it doesn't really change my stance, given that Dole was the one who suggested Petraeus end up in office, and the quote listed from the transcript, leads me to believe that his age has absolutely nothing to do with what would be his ability to advise Petraeus. It'd be nice to see a slightly different vice presidential role; not the "back-up guy" or the "puppeteer" but more the "Old Guru" of the political world who's there to help the gentleman who is a "quick study" get comfortable quicker.

I find that most candidates and options would represent a unique value; the combinations are so varied in possibility, I just wish we had a bit more cross-party P/VP pairs. Personally I think we should just vote for President, and the runner-up takes Vice President, that way we'd get a mix of opinions at any given moment in the seats.

16. B_Morning_Glory

B_Morning_Glory New Member

LOL,:biggrin1::biggrin1: INDY so am i thats a good one for sure huh?

17. Principessa

Gold Member

The very thought of such a ticket makes me puke. :puke: :eek:
    I'd have to move to Italy if that happend. Not that I am thrilled with the political happenings there of late. Berlusconi is clearly off his nut; but the food is excellent, the landscape divine, and the men are hot. :cool:

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You'll have to pack me in your suitcase if you do. Absolutely love Italy!!

19. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I voted for Dole in 1996.

*runs away*
    Relaly, teh Republicans talked a much different game in 1994 and 1996. Even in 2000 I was cheering for Bush over Gore. I could say I was wrong, but I am actually not that convinced Gore would have been much better.

20. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

If I remember correctly. No one knows his political party and he did not vote in the last election because he responsibility/duty was to support and follow the commands of the president?

Draft saved Draft deleted