Dollhouse (tv show): worth buying?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SilverTrain, Jan 5, 2010.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I found a good deal on the complete first season. But is it going to be worth my time? It's well- reviewed. But what does lpsg think?

Cheers for your replies.

2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Plenty of hot goys on this show, Topher(Fran Kranz), Victor(Enver Gjokaj), Paul(Tahmoh Penikett), even Alpha is pretty hot. Season 2 gets much more dark though. I think season one was 13 episodes and it looks like season 2 might only be 13 as well.

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Personally, the first 5 or 6 episodes were a bit dull and hollow, but after episode 6 it really started to pick up and become quite interesting by the end. I wouldn't buy it on DVD but if you haven't seen it and its super cheap it's certainly worth a watch.

4. Ganieda

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with Flame boy. The beginning was quite boring. However, I would buy it anyway.
    the show did pick up and stuff.

5. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    This would be be my main attraction to the show. :wink: Penikett, Kranz, Gjokaj, and Alan Tudyk (who plays Alpha) are all eye candy.
    True. The first few shows centered around Echo and her "assignments". Dushku just doesn't have the technique as an actress to believably pull off being the different characters. ...But then they wisely shifted the focus to the Dollhouse and the other characters, and it got good. Dushku needs an acting 101 lesson, and her co-stars (Enver Gjokaj, Olivia Williams, Dichen Lachman, & Harry Lennix in particular) could ably supply it.
    Season 1 gets better as it progresses, and season 2 is even better than season 1. Pity it canceled. Joss just gets no love from Fox.
    I'd recommend it as a blind buy if You can get a good price.

6. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    shit I really typed goys, I must have been a girl from Brooklyn in a past life.

7. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've just caught on to Dollhouse on British digital (ITV4, Mondays, 9:00 p.m.). Dunno how far in we are or which series it is, but it's pretty gripping. It's a fantastical premise but there's lots going on and you have to pay attention to the plot and character developments. Plus there's eye-candy galore for those of all persuations, but it's consistent with the show - they're supposed to be hot - they're dolls.

I've set my DVR for the remainder of the series and wish I'd seen it from the start.

8. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for all the replies.

Based on the feedback from my esteemed lpsg colleagues, I believe I'll take the plunge.

Eye candy, yay! And intelligent storylines to boot, yippee.

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I purchased it, and have watched the first seven episodes in a two-evening binge. As reported by everyone else, the first, standalone-ish episodes were fair, but it's really picking up now.

I'm digging it. I can handle Dushku. She's not going to win Oscars but sometimes hotness and a smidge of charisma is enough! :biggrin1:

And the rest of the cast is fantastic. The sets and photography are fab, too. Especially given the fairly limited budget.

Now, I'm already bummed that I'll have to wait awhile for Season Two to come out on disk.

10. blkbro510

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have to say Joss is one great writer and smart producer. I love that show but I hope it doesn't get lost with all the secrets and layers.

11. avg_joe

Gold Member

I love that SciFi TV series. Dollhouse rocks !!!

12. D_Portelay Porquesword

I am sad it was canceled. I always enjoy Dushku on screen and Joss W's imaginative shows are usually stand outs.

I miss Buffy and Angel too.

13. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    BTW, I've been watching it on blu-ray, which is phenomenal.

14. blkbro510

Gold Member

Albums:
    The show needs to be moved to cable. It's clear that 4 big networks exectives don't watch television!

15. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    K, I found out I joined at episode 6, where it really gets interesting and it's episode 10 tomorrow, I think. So looks like I've got some weekly viewing pleasure ahead.

I've just caught up with the first five episodes on the net in lo-res. Envious of your blu-ray edition, Silver.

16. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm through eppy #9 and am hopelessly hooked. I'm amazed at how many mind-blowing developments are happening left and right. Plus, great dialogue, beautiful (and smart) people, wonderful colours..............I'm just so happy.

I only lament that it's only two seasons worth of this joy.

I was eyeing the Firefly blu-ray for $39.99 today. :rolleyes:

17. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    For those who are interested, the DVD and BluRay of "Dollhouse" S1 is the Gold Box Deal Of The Day today (1/16/10) on Amazon.

18. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sadly next week is the last episode, it looks like it takes place 10 years in the future. Totally surprised there bringing this to a conclusion already.

Draft saved Draft deleted