Domestic abuse and sexual assault victims imprisoned and fined...

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i agree, shoot first
plead self defense later
:mad:

eta: "Victims rights advocates warn there are consequences to holding sexual-abuse victims in jail, noting that it can deter other victims from bringing their cases forward. "It has a terrible ripple effect," says Jessica Mindlin, an Oregon-based attorney at the Victim Rights Law Center."

this is just away to lower the number of sexual/physical assaults in a given area. makes the county look safer, which is good for property value. makes the cops look like they are actually doing something to curb the violence against women that seems to an unofficial national pass time.

more often than not violent offenders that assault women are giving more lenient sentences than those convicted of non-violent drug crimes. speaks heaps about the priority of the american justice system.

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i agree, shoot first
plead self defense later
One go-round in the criminal injustice system was enough for me. I'm never pressing charges again, and I'm totally willing to maim or kill the offender.

Did I ever tell you about the time this man, who at some point in the ordeal claimed to be a cop, laid in wait for me to appear, then trapped me in a laundry room because he didn't like that I moved his clothes from the limited number of machines after waiting a long time for him to appear? Well, just as I was considering the effectiveness of setting him on fire with the torch lighter in my pocket so I could leave, his wife showed up to escalate. She put her fingers in my face (not something one can afford to be cowed by in the culture of the area) so I tried to slap some sense into her. She wouldn't let me leave either, so she kept getting slapped. When I was ready to knock her out, and pulled back my fist, the dude said if I punched her, he'd punch me before I was finished. I knew I couldn't set either one of them well enough on fire before the other could put it out, so I tried to figure out what would happen if I dropped him instead. I concluded that I might be able to knock him out in one blow, but that if I couldn't, I might be beaten to death. So I slapped the woman until there was an out. Later, the police actually had the nerve to say that they didn't like that he waited for me and ambushed me, nor that he and his bitch trapped me in a room, but that I was guilty of battery, and they would do me a favor and not write the report. I should have just set him on fire when we were alone, and left him there to die. Piece of shit is a cop. Who knows how many people I would have saved.

this is just away to lower the number of sexual/physical assaults in a given area. makes the county look safer, which is good for property value. makes the cops look like they are actually doing something to curb the violence against women that seems to an unofficial national pass time.
I hadn't considered this.

Reactions: ronin001

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fair enough.:D Sometimes I forget what section the posts are under.
It happens. Try to keep in mind that people here tend to be socially aware and do not need to be reminded, particularly in this male-oriented environment about the (significantly less prevalent) oppression of men.

It happens. Try to keep in mind that people here tend to be socially aware and do not need to be reminded, particularly in this male-oriented environment about the (significantly less prevalent) oppression of men.
I do keep it in mind which is why I brought it up. It is more common than it is made out to be. One of brothers in fact was assaulted. It is reported far less than when it is forced on a woman because there seems to be an expectation that it doesn't happen to men. It makes what they suffer no less.
I can appreciate what you were originally saying. And it is aweful and tragic. I have been there myself. Rape is no fun.

Reactions: Mercurygirl

I do keep it in mind which is why I brought it up. It is more common than it is made out to be. One of brothers in fact was assaulted. It is reported far less than when it is forced on a woman because there seems to be an expectation that it doesn't happen to men. It makes what they suffer no less.
I can appreciate what you were originally saying. And it is aweful and tragic. I have been there myself. Rape is no fun.
It doesn't happen as much to men. They do suffer less. Also, we are still in Women's Issues. If you would like to start a thread on the subject I would be happy to contribute to that discussion.

It doesn't happen as much to men. They do suffer less. Also, we are still in Women's Issues. If you would like to start a thread on the subject I would be happy to contribute to that discussion.
I understand that this is in womens issues I just didn't realize it when I originally posted. And I said as much later. I was willing to leave it at that but when it was replied to the way that it was I think it just rubbed me the wrong way.
I apologize. I am not trying to drag it out.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I understand that this is in womens issues I just didn't realize it when I originally posted. And I said as much later. I was willing to leave it at that but when it was replied to the way that it was I think it just rubbed me the wrong way.
I apologize. I am not trying to drag it out.
It rubbed you the wrong way because you misread it. The message was people here already know. It is, in fact, discussed on this site, probably because it is a male-oriented site. I'm not quite sure how you read that as an insult, or an invitation to further explain the issue of male victims/survivors of sexual assault to what I felt I expressly described as a socially aware audience, but I apologize, nonetheless, for being unclear.

Back to the matter at hand. I'd like to see some statistics breaking down this travesty by socioeconomic class. I'd like to know whether the financially privileged merely afford and pay the fines, or if they do not seem to be fined at all. Obviously, I'd want the results to be controlled for discrepancies caused by different rates of reporting at various levels of the social strata.

Beedie Tijii

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This seems like something the ACLU should be fighting against, if they aren't already. I'm not sure how jailing a material witness who is vulnerable or a flight risk is ever preferable to a hotel room with a telephone. This is basically treating people like trash.

p.s. I might start a collection of AlteredEgo quotes that say things like 'anyone who violates me is going to take a dirt nap' and 'I left my weapon behind his right clavicle'. :D

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read the story up until I got to "Columbus, Georgia," then I thought it figures. This is good ole boy to the max.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i posted a link to WOAR.ORG over in my Trump is a SuckaButt thread

some very interesting articles about how police agencies often erase rape cases from their reported crimes
by down grading from a felony rape report to a misdemeanor crime or classified as unfounded. totally skewing the national rape statistics nation wide.

what i still find infuriating is that a cops first job seems to be to protect the offender from false allegations,
instead of seeing the woman as a victim she is first approach as a liar. no other crime/victim faces the same scrutiny as a rape survivor. *with the exception of POC reporting violence at the hands of police officers*

Last edited:

I suspect that part of the problem is that some prisons are privately run, and that so much money is made by legal professionals.

"Legal ?" Maybe. don't think I would call them professional.

Reactions: 950483