Dominant male

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
You're a bit hard on yourself and I feel I accidentally hijacked your thread. No such thing as a bad personal opinion, that's why it's personal and spontaneity is uncontrollable by definition you can't plan it :smile:

I will happily kick ass when needed....can be very rewarding :tongue:

No Dong dont worry...im kind of dramatic when expressing myself but im not hard on myself...but i say i will not be more spontaneous but i will because i cant help it...i know :tongue:

I think im kind of difficult person for a english person understand me...i'm a nonsense person for some people...but maybe not...hehehe

Is just that it was very important post for me...to get feedbacks about the kick ass men and et...that i like.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL...I once spent a very short time in Brasil (few weeks) and I recall that there was no lack of spontaneity going on! I also found that brasileiras somtimes confused each other so don't worry about us you're making yourself understood just fine! :smile:

Sadly while my Spanish is OK my Portugues leaves a lot to be desired :redface:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
LOL...I once spent a very short time in Brasil (few weeks) and I recall that there was no lack of spontaneity going on! I also found that brasileiras somtimes confused each other so don't worry about us you're making yourself understood just fine! :smile:

Sadly while my Spanish is OK my Portugues leaves a lot to be desired :redface:

Hmmm...:cool:

No problem i have a solution :U teach me to speak english right with a "brit" accent...

:flirt:

hehehe...

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
OK Deal....but remember we British don't have an accent....everyone else does! :tongue:

Oh ...so true!!!

:redface: im learning already with my English teacher !!!

An apple for U i will bring tomorrow... :tongue:

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
A model is just that, a model. Some are better than others and if they are good models then so much the better. But a model could predict that a given child without a role model could grow up maladjusted, it could predict the opposite depending on the variables thrown into the mix. Even then it's only a prediction. Neither of us is right or wrong and we can't be sure because it's not an exact science.

But I am right. The original presentation of empirical evidence on my part was to show that males are not needed to raise a well-adjusted child in any way. In fact, the book goes even further and implies that male role models are detrimental. I will leave that for your own folk theories to decide, but with regard to the original question I took issue with, I am right.

dong20 said:
What I was saying is that your throwaway comment was just that. You don't know the circumstances, neither do I so again we could both be wrong, what irks me is when someone who knows nothing about a particular incident beyond what is in an internet article can expect to be taken seriously when making such a sweeping assumption.

You could give me more credit that than. I am being trained in neuroscience and clinical psych. Regardless, the original suicide intent example was stupid. You do realize that treatments for disorders remain constant across different people with the same disorder, right?

dong20 said:
I think you can only speak for yourself, and you certainly can't speak for me so please don't try. There is evidence for genetic predisposition, I don't know who reliable it is but again you just sweep it aside presumably because you happen not to agree with it. There are people in the world better informed about this than you and I you seem to have a real problem accepting that and it's sad. It's also way off topic and probably deserves one of it's own....?

I wasn't necessarily sweeping it aside. I do think that people are obsessed with genetic predispositions, and they desperately want most things to be genetically determined. At least this way they would feel like they have control over traits. But the truth is that for every personality trait studied, the variability explained by genetics has never been more than the variability explained by other sources. Again, with regard to the original question, the effects of genetics on pyshosocial development may as well be non-existent.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
nick22ca said:
But I am right. The original presentation of empirical evidence on my part was to show that males are not needed to raise a well-adjusted child in any way. In fact, the book goes even further and implies that male role models are detrimental. I will leave that for your own folk theories to decide, but with regard to the original question I took issue with, I am right.

One book, one opinion. I never said I thought it was necessary for a role model to be present for a child to be well balanced, as you well know. I agreed with you on this point. Where I disagreed and still do is that the reverse was true, if this book to which you refer suggested that male role models are bad, then would be best described as a crock. However you acknowledge that book says they "may be detrimental" so you concede that there are no absolutes?

If you have childen you better follow your own dogma and leave for the good of your child. Can be detrimental, yes, are detrimental you surely don't believe that? You are right from your perpective, what you keep failing to do is acknowledge that other viewpoints exist, which are equally valid. For someone as yet unqualified to be dismissing other professionals opinions as folk theories is as immature as it is tragically narrowminded.

nick22ca said:
You could give me more credit that than. I am being trained in neuroscience and clinical psych. Regardless, the original suicide intent example was stupid. You do realize that treatments for disorders remain constant across different people with the same disorder, right?

I give someone as much credit as they earn. It was an example, far from perfect. Yes, treatment for disorders does typically follow standard lines but there are occasions where a given treatment may be innapropriate and another may be needed, sadly people also fall through the cracks and are misdiagnosed or undiagnosed. You seem to have such tunnel vision for a would be professional.

nick22ca said:
I wasn't necessarily sweeping it aside. I do think that people are obsessed with genetic predispositions, and they desperately want most things to be genetically determined. At least this way they would feel like they have control over traits. But the truth is that for every personality trait studied, the variability explained by genetics has never been more than the variability explained by other sources. Again, with regard to the original question, the effects of genetics on pyshosocial development may as well be non-existent.

You said everyone took it with a pinch of salt....how close to sweeping it aside do you need to be? You said it right though, "you think..." you don't know for sure and that is all I'm arguing. You just can't see it. While feeling that you are in control of behavioral or other traits, real or folk theory is good but doesn't necessarily make it so. Typically part of mental illness is denial that something is actually not how you perceive it to be.

But in the end, you are missing my point, I merely said that there is evidence both ways on these issues, you dogmatically take one side I can see the merits of both. I can accept that I am not knowledgeble enough to have a definitive answer, you seem unable to do the same.

This has precious little to do with the orignal thread, if you want to continue this create a dedicated thread, you may get some other opinions to dismiss out of hand.

Unless you are the fount of all human knowledge which you are not then your arrogance is misplaced. Admitting the possibility you may not have all the answers is not a sign of stupidity, denying that possibility is.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes...please go discuss this thing outside "my" tread!!!

The language is so difficult that i have no desire whatsoever to try to understand what they are talking about here...

:sucks: :eek:fftopic:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gisella said:
Yes...please go discuss this thing outside "my" tread!!!

The language is so difficult that i have no desire whatsoever to try to understand what they are talking about here...

:sucks: :eek:fftopic:

LOL, sorry I did apologise already :redface:

Gisella, your word for today = twaddle: baloney, pretentious or silly talk or writing...especially if way off topic :rolleyes:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
LOL, sorry I did apologise already :redface:

Gisella, your word for today = twaddle: baloney, pretentious or silly talk or writing...especially if way off topic :rolleyes:

Its ok Dong...im ok with you...(but please stop answering because you are not helping by doing that...)

I forgot your apple...:tongue:

U people really talk twaddle, baloney, pretencious or silk...for this i'm much more confortable with artistc persons down to earth talking...you academic people are very boring to me...sorry.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ah...

Another thing Dong...if you really want to be my teacher you have to change your teaching style to adapt to my needs as a student...(you are kind of bossy..will not work to me ...)

I like to learn but dont like to be tought ...beware of that, ok?

Thanks.:wink:

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
One book, one opinion. I never said I thought it was necessary for a role model to be present for a child to be well balanced, as you well know. I agreed with you on this point. Where I disagreed and still do is that the reverse was true, if this book to which you refer suggested that male role models are bad, then would be best described as a crock. However you acknowledge that book says they "may be detrimental" so you concede that there are no absolutes?

If you have childen you better follow your own dogma and leave for the good of your child. Can be detrimental, yes, are detrimental you surely don't believe that? You are right from your perpective, what you keep failing to do is acknowledge that other viewpoints exist, which are equally valid. For someone as yet unqualified to be dismissing other professionals opinions as folk theories is as immature as it is tragically narrowminded.
But the book cites the empirical research on the issue. The research includes statistically significant findings where men are detrimental to the development of a child. The whole point of this is that no research supports that men can be beneficial in the first place. Your folk theories aside, without research to say the opposite (granted, there are probably a lack of researchers on the subjects), you are the one spewing dogma.

"can be", "are"? I acknowledge other viewpoints exist, in fact I have no dobut that the majority of people think men are not detrimental to a child's development. The problem, as I have tried to reiterate time and time again, is that research does not support them. Dismissing professional opinions? Dismissing professional opinions is definitely not the same as acknowledging a complete lack of evidence. I would challenge you to find statistically significant research on the benefit of a male role model. I have looked myself, but obviously there is no way I can cover everything. Until you find anything, dogma and educated opinion is what applies to you and me, respectively.