Don Imus Controversy

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Whopper-lee, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:
    How Do U Feel about this controvsy... DOES IT SURPRISE YOU ?
    :mad: Don Imus
    I really was going to not bring this controvial news item debate up...however...by now I'm sure many of us LPSG members have opinions esp. our women and blacks.
    You may ref. www.msnbc.ms.com/id17982146
    In brief his oral public remarks over the national airways(FCC) about the Rutger College Girls Basketball Team playing for the national championship: '...THOSE ARE SOME ROUGH NAPPY HEADED HOES...':eek:

This, in it's self should tell you and demostrate how some white Americans
    feel, think, and say about us Am. Black men and women.
    I don't know why, some people want to find this statement so shocking.
    It certainly isn't that shocking to 90% of the blacks in Am.
    I'm sure, worst statements of this nature, is made about us, behind white closed doors, private white clubs, parties, bars and the dinner tables of conversations.
    Imus, was just damn stupid enough to say out loud what he and many others think in their racists mind.

Personally, as I have often said in a few LPSG Thrends and shared experiences that racism is still very much alive and well here in Am.
    Many times, nothing is ever said and overlooked as a minor issue to the standards of the black man and woman's existence.
    I deal with it on a daily bases as I'm sure many others do too, being black.
    It's not just in the deep south of Am (here in Mississippi where I am)
    but all across Am.
    Just one out of many examples, I'll share, being the only black man on my job:
    I was cleaning around my bosses office while he was on the phone one evening.
    I over-heard him say to the other party on the phone: 'Yea, got 2 cock-roaches and 1 black, big dick niggar working here, that ought to cover it.'

What was so slap-you-in the -face, was that he was looking dead at me when he said it, because I look up at him. He pointed to his waste basket for me to empty (still holding his on-going conversation on the phone) not giving one thought to what he had said in my presence. What does that tell you.
    Now mine you, I understood the remark directed about me, but I didn't know what 2 'cock-roaches' meant, until later.:confused:
    There were only 2 hispanics also working there!
    I want to tie this thread to open replies, not only for the Imus comments
    about 'nappy head hos' ref to black women but also black men.
    I just wonder...If Don Imus had said a remark about black men suchas:
    "...those are some big dick,nappy head niggar boys out on that basketball
    court", if this would have invoked as much controvsy to bring Jesses Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the national media attention. Maybe...but,
    I THINK NOT!....WONDER WHY NOT:confused:
    Strange, nothing too much happened with Paris Hilton's pubicly said niggar remarks ref to black men either... Hummm:confused:
    Even presently while I writing this thread, the sitcom on TV 'How I Met Your Mother' builds comedy and jokes around a huge dildo... not any just dildo, but a black one, in a large, long box, gifted wrapped for a wedding bridial shower.
    When opened and viewed, all the (white...naturally) women wanted to know where it was bought so they could buy one and mentioned jokingly with a line, Oh that's just like the one in City in the City!
    Plenty of LOL from TV audience.
    So, what's wrong with this picture :dunno: :dunno:
    Black men don't count for having feelings or too dumb to pick up on all the sarcasm made about our gentials or always having stories generated about how big and black our dicks are.
    Guess we are just well programmed black brothas and sistas by White Am.

Final notes I must add:
    Today 4-9-07 marks the 30th Anniversary of the movie saga of Roots by
    Alex Haley= a family history story of black slavery in Am.

Although, it's a 'do-well' to recognize, by re-airing on some TV channels this week in it's entirety, the posted advertisements for promotion
    regularly showed Kunta Kinte stripped and hanging from the whipping post
    being beat unmercifully until he assumed his slave name Toby....you know the story or have read the book.:wink:
    Anyway, here again, why did the promoters select this particular part to constantly show to get the viewing audience's attention?
    Perhaps I am just a bit overly Mississippi senstive... DAMN SKIP-E, I AM!

I suggest that this skillfully implies & re-programs us with $$ profitting whites sending the message...see what we can still do to you niggars/boys (= Big Dick African Mandigos 1,2,3,4&5, Big Dick Coons Big Dick Black Male Slaves, Big Black Monster Cocks, Horse Hung Colored Boys, Hung Black DickThugs & Studs, Big Chocolate Dicks- good for the lickin & stickin, Massive Black Cock Brothas, Brazillin, Gozallia= bros with the biggest cocks ever seen on the pron scene with 10-16 inches long to include Long Dong Silver & Mr Big Dick Biggs with 18".:eek:
    If they can't find one of us with a for real huge peter, they make up one of 15-20" and glue it on us for circus fun and $$$$$
    Please, give us a break.
    I believe you get my pt. here.
    SO, ARE WE (BLACK FOLK) REALLY SURPRISED BY MR.IMUS's (or Mr. Ignorant) REMARKS.... I DON'T THINK SO... HE JUST GOT CAUGHT WITH HIS FOOT IN HIS MOUTH. HE WILL BE MADE A POSTER CHILD FOR LETTING HIS REAL THOUGHTS AND MOUTH WORK AT THE SAME TIME, WHILE SOME WHITES THINK IT, BUT DON'T SAY IT.
    I say, way to go Mr.Shock Joc, now you'll be out of maybe a little money and hurt pride & repution for a mintue like you really give a rat's ass....because you now say 'you're a good person'.
    RIGHT, you :asshole:

:eek: IMUS' PUNISHMENT handed down by THE NETWORK= 2 WEEK SUSPENSION:eek: NOT FRIED. I bet it's with pay!

AND
    RIP Coach Don Robinson (88) of Gramble U.who passed away.

2. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is sad in this day that people think this way. But you'll note I said
    people. Not just white people, but all people.
    Mankind is flawed, every one of us. Predujice exists in every nationality on this earth. You'll note I didn't say "Race" , seeing as we're all members of the same race, The Human race.

Its high time that all of us started to treat each other as equals, and forget about all these long out dated beliefs. Life is too short to dislike
    someone based on skin colour or ethnicity.

4. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just read yr. ref. Ain't that a bitch... but again, not surprising.
    She ought to send that to Jesse Jackson an/or Al Sharpton.
    Probably not important enough in their....just what I'm talkin with some of the so called Black Leaders fighting against racism...they're sometime full of it too.
    This is why it's so important for more people (young-bloods) to join the NAACP which is dying away. Many young blacks don't even know what NAACP is, so you know they haven't joined.
    :confused:
    Keep the faith!
    Thx for the reply

5. transformer_99

Gold Member

Imus is tired, Stern has always been better and the shock effect backfired on Imus. I doubt Imus even is racist, this was poorly staged at best. Anyone ever even listen to Don Imus ? I mean, ever ?

6. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you...Right U R.
    Well said!:wink:

7. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:
    U know actually I never hear of him until this....
    it came to my mind that his name, popularity and ratings were dying so...
    he may have did this to get his name by in the news....
    Well... must say it's working...risky...but working:confused:
    Sad that this is the way he chose to do:confused: on the back of blacks.
    Thx for your reply.

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

9. meatpackingbubba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What controversy? The guy made an unexcuseable racist remark.

10. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    "while i do not agree with what you have to say, i will defend to the death yer right to say it"

or something like that...

the point is, he's a shock jock. and there is something called the first ammendment. god forbid someone say something that offends someone. i don't agree with what he said at all. however, it's totally his right to say it. just my two cents

*runs and hides*

11. meatpackingbubba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ever hear of slander? Publically calling someone specific a "ho" is actionable, presuming the target of the comment is, in fact, not one.

What needs to be understood is that the first amendment protection of free speech is not absolute and unbridled, and that's its primary intent is to protect political speech. It does not give anyone the right to engage in slanderous speech without consequence.

Finally, think about how those young athletes feel being referred to in that way. Imus is lucky MY daughter was not on the team.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

The first amendment only guarantees that government may not impede free speech, certainly people are free to criticise each other for improper choices according to societal standards. Imus WAS free to say his piece, now everyone else is just as free to call him the racist ignorant fuck he really is. Free speech doesn't give him protection from reproach. Fuck that guy.

However, I must admit to being pleased that racist fucktards are stupid enough to out themselves. Now everyone else knows who to ignore.:rolleyes:

13. Fireballs

Fireballs New Member

I support free speech,
    even when assholes use it.
    Let me tell you why.

Free speech lets assholes
    hold up great big signs that say,
    "HI! I'M AN ASSHOLE!"

That's freedom of speech.
    It is meaningless unless
    it applies to all.

To you, and to me.
    To shock jocks, and to assholes.
    Even to racists.

(Having said all that,
    I think Imus is a douche.
    I wish he'd shut up.)

14. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

The difference between racism in American and Korea is that here it is very overt and out in the open. In America there is surprise and outrage whenever someone isn't subtle about it. Here, nobody gives a shit. It's just accepted.

15. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Polite" racism is a problem, in that it is harder to make people own up to it, and take responsibility. It does suggest, however, that people must see it as unacceptable on a certain level, in that they attempt to mask it. So there is hope that on a scale of right and wrong that people sort of know where "right" might be.

The hard core racism in Korean society is deeply grounded in propaganda going back centuries. "One blood" is the myth/motto that is taught from the cradle on. Of course with all the historical invasions and so forth no nation is ever that homogeneous in its make-up, but myths are comforting fairy tales aren't they?

I don't know Imus at all. I've heard his name mentioned on Stern's show as an object of ridicule, so I presume they are or were radio rivals on some level. What strikes me as pathetic is how this media guy is sounding so out of style, reaching for idiomatic "African American" phrases that are obviously not part of what I'd imagine is his normal speech, trying way too hard to have some kind of water cooler credibility.

He'd definitely be yanked off the air in Canada for the staement in question, but it's so politically correct here, that's a given. Free speech limits are not as pushed as far here as they are on US talk shows. That's probably government policy.

Though I've heard plenty of lame attempts at gay humour lately when I spin the morning dial on Toronto radio shows.

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Thank you. It is only a controversy if we can not agree that it was wrong.

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Important note to people who do NOT understand the Constitution.

Another great point. Say what you want as long as you are willing to face the music, so to speak.

And now it is up to the parent corporation to decide what to do.NBC should fire him and make a CLEAR statement.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

19. snoozan

Gold Member

You know, Don Imus is almost completely unintelligible... and I can't imagine him having more than 3 listeners.

Personally, I'm not surprised that he said what he did, Stern has been calling him out as a racist for years. He needs to pack it in because he's an irrelevant relic whose time has long passed. I'd much rather see him fired for his show doing terribly than what he just said. I've heard worse on the TV and radio. It's not new.

Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about it already. He doesn't deserve all the attention. This is more publicity for him that he absolutely doesn't deserve. I think his suspension is bullshit-- either they have the balls to ask him to retire (fire him) or have the balls to stand by him. A two week suspension is meaningless.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Can you say "martyr?" It was probably just a silly publicity stunt to boost his ratings.

Draft saved Draft deleted