Don Imus Controversy

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This bears repeating:

railfan,
I say there is a big distinction here that needs to be appreciated. Blacks being racist against blacks is as offensive as whites being racist against blacks but in both cases it is for the same reason. The reason is due to generations of blacks being oppressed by whites. Black racist talk is the self-denigration of a victimized culture that has not yet had the opportunity to heal. It is a residual symptom of white oppression. White oppression of blacks in America has been incredibly formative in American black culture. We cannot ignore the mark we have placed on it and criticize it from afar.

Every time a black man calls another black man the N word, he is channeling white oppression. So I don't know what is a stronger indictment against generations of white supremacy: whites being racists toward blacks or blacks being racist towards blacks.

JA- you continually amaze me with you insight and perspective. Thanks for posting here. Wow.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not to worry MZ I'd not take your 'cunt breathing dragon' fun from you.:biggrin1:

(or however that saying goes.)

No one ever could! Brave ones have tried, and were melted by my fire-cunt breath.

It's a retarded saying, hurled at me long ago by a troll. Just another example of taking back an insult, actually rather fitting in this discussion.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JA- you continually amaze me with you insight and perspective. Thanks for posting here. Wow.

Lex, the part you highlighted I couldn't even respond to without letting it settle for a couple days. That's actually one of the very few "new" perspectives on racism I've heard in quite a while. When someone allows me to see something from a perspective I had not previously considered, that is a gift.

JA, I don't automatically agree with everything you say, but I DO appreciate every single word. Every one. It's also amazing to get to watch you kind of find yourself here, as your candor grows. When someone new joins the fold, we never know who will stay, who will go, who will open up, or just remain the same.

While we both know we disagree on some specifics about religion (or perhaps just on definitions), it has been an amazing thing for me to get to interact with Christians such as yourself (and Freddie, and Doublemeatwhopper and a good many others) who are proud supporters of rationality and science. DMW still proudly proclaims to me that the Catholic church has funded a great deal of the sciences we now have. Of course, I stab him back with the fact that that's only true because they called everyone else heretics, but that's what good friendships are for.:biggrin1:

There actually IS a valid difference between knowledge and opinion. There actually IS a valid difference between informed and uninformed opinions, and the degrees of each are crucial. It DOES matter, and I'll keep screaming that until I die, hoarse and frustrated.:tongue: My thanks to you, JA, is for giving me room to argue with you, but not against you. That is a great gift. I hope I make you feel comfortable to do the same. It's just my bonding ritual or something I guess.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I predict that eventually Imus will come back and devote the remainder of his career to examining and improving race relations in the U.S. I don't think Imus is a racist and I think he will prove those of you who do wrong.

In todays world I seriously doubt that Adventures of Huckleberry Finn could find a publisher, even though it may be one of the most unracist books ever written, because of Twain's repeated use of the n word.

Ok, I'm going to try and get over it now.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In todays world I seriously doubt that Adventures of Huckleberry Finn could find a publisher, even though it may be one of the most unracist books ever written, because of Twain's repeated use of the n word.

I disagree with you here, Within the historical and social context of time that book represents, Nigger is a term what would need to be included and I am SURE that it would be published.

Again--the key here is context.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I disagree with you here, Within the historical and social context of time that book represents, Nigger is a term what would need to be included and I am SURE that it would be published.

Again--the key here is context.

Actually, I'm going to go so far as to disagreeing with those who attempt to change PAST examples of literature where the word appears. It is essential to understanding where we came from, and why we need to more forward from it.

Even in the Bible, I don't take Jesus' acknowledgement of the phenomena of slavery as a suggestion that it should never change. What he was saying at the time was to find satisfaction in your life, whatever your position. The concept of becomming more than the station of your birth is a relatively new concept, and one to which Jesus could not have commented. In fact, none of the self-made millionaires and sucess stories of the 20th century would have been thought possible two millenia ago.
His ideas were revolutionary for the times. Funny how times change and the revolutionaries get whitewashed into standardisation.

Shelby, I agree with you that Imus could do such a thing, but I disagree with the reasons. I think he IS a racist, although your definition and mine are probably dissimilar. I believe he holds a lot of "old school thinking" to be true, and is probably himself unaware of how racist those things really are. I've listened to him quite a lot, and I don't see any way around it.

But would he sell our for cash? I think he would in a heartbeat.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I disagree with banning TAoHF, just as I disagree with school systems who banned Maya Angelo's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings because it deals with sexual abuse. The truth is better than a facade.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Perhaps you meant "nonsensical," which would be nothing more than your opinion...and a rather poorly developed one at that. The assessment is in fact perfectly valid, and I challenge you to demonstrate otherwise. (FYI: You merely calling it 'nonsensible' doesn't qualify as demonstration.)

Racism/sexism be damned...there's nothing to engender ill will toward anyone in me like outright idiocy.
Isn't it more idiotic to shun out the possibility of a reason?

Thanks Mr. Obvious for stating that I made a statement of opinion. A statement that is made without backing is very dogmatic and either a statement of opinion or inanity. I'm sorry you chose the latter.

Moot points aside...people can whine and cry all they want. If it were not for the fact that the stations in question were going to lose their advertising dollars from the likes of "Staples" and other corporate industries, Imus would still have his job. People complain about a bunch of things in this world and nothing happens about it. Hell, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson complain about a bunch of things and they don't always get what they want. If it were about the racist things being said, then all of these people would be off the air, right now.

And thank you for correcting my diction, but I'm sure (...actually it's quite clear) that you understood what I meant.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media