Don Imus Controversy

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ever hear of slander? Publically calling someone specific a "ho" is actionable, presuming the target of the comment is, in fact, not one.

That would be an expensive uphill battle. You'd have to point to a definition of "ho", which would be tougher than some think, since common - and, incidentally, despicable - modern usage doesn't actually mean "whore" in any meaningful sense. "Whore" as a slang synonym for "prostutite" wouldn't be so difficult to demonstrate. But if he said "ho", that's not quite the same.

What needs to be understood is that the first amendment protection of free speech is not absolute and unbridled, and that's its primary intent is to protect political speech. It does not give anyone the right to engage in slanderous speech without consequence.

What also needs to be understood is that the boundaries of "political" speech were left undefined. It's not up to me, or you, or some activist, or a mob of the hoi polloi to determine those boundaries. And a good thing, too - it's all that keeps life in a society soaked with PC extremists tolerable.

He shouldn't have called anyone "hos". But that's sexism, maybe. I don't see anyone bitching about sexism here. This is just another LPSG racist rant about the evils of whitey. Fuck that.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

He shouldn't have called anyone "hos". But that's sexism, maybe. I don't see anyone bitching about sexism here. This is just another LPSG racist rant about the evils of whitey. Fuck that.

It was both racist AND sexist.

Nappy-headed = racist.

Hos = sexist.

Not either/or but and/both.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
He shouldn't have called anyone "hos". But that's sexism, maybe. I don't see anyone bitching about sexism here. This is just another LPSG racist rant about the evils of whitey.

i agree to a point. and i know how free speech works. all i'm sayin is that he has the right to say what he wants, as much as i'm disgusted by what he said. he went onto al sharpton's show, and it seemed sharpton was allowed to say whatever, but imus wasn't.

don't get me wrong, i agree with snoozan in that he can't have more than 3 listeners. and i think he's boring, and it's time for him to retire (not because of what he said; i just think his time is up as a radio talk show host)

it's one thing to criticise someone for what they said, and another to ostricise (i think i killed two words lol)

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
In most cases I automatically choose to side with whoever is on the other team than Jackson or Sharpton. This would be one of them.

I didn't detect any tone of malice in Imus's (admittedly poorly chosen in our oh so pc world) words. In fact, I hear affection and admiration if anything.

I wish he wouldn't have apologized.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In most cases I automatically choose to side with whoever is on the other team than Jackson or Sharpton. This would be one of them.

I didn't detect any tone of malice in Imus's (admittedly poorly chosen in our oh so pc world) words. In fact, I hear affection and admiration if anything.

I wish he wouldn't have apologized.

see, i haven't heard the actual audio, so i can't comment on the tone he had.

and i just wanna like, emphasize my point i made in my last post:

i do know what the first ammendment is and what it does. but like i said before, while people do have a right to criticize (which is part of the 1st ammendment) it's another thing to totally ostrasize someone for something they said, no matter how stupid it may have been

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh come on...OK, maybe I am going to get hated for this but, don't you think the world is getting a little overly sensitive? Don Imus is an idiot, no doubt. He is a bitter, grumpy old man whose schtick was old two decades ago.

That being said, to me this seems more about Al Sharpton's "I wanna be the next MLK" ego, than Don "I hate black people" Imus. Al Sharpton has this habit of sitting on his perch just looking for a chance to step in and start a fight. My question is, does Al Sharpton hate the tasteless COMMENT made by Imus, or the MAN who said it? If he hates the comment made, then he is stuck in the middle of a double standard. Why isn't Al Sharpton on a mission year round getting artists like Dr. Dre or 50 cent on his show raking them over the coals for using inappropriate lyrics in their songs? Lyrics and an overall atmosphere towards black women which is far worse than anything Imus said. Why does he wait for easy target old white guy to slip up? Al Sharpton is a supposed man of God, but yet he seems interested not in understanding why Imus said those things and trying to help heal his "racism" by showing love and compassion, but by trying to get the world to hate him and ruin his life, and making this a huge ordeal. Not a very christian-like thing to do. All of this so his ego can be fulfilled by being seen as a hero in the eyes african americans.

As silly as a comment as it was, do you really think Imus is a racist? Does this man openly hate black people? I don't know, but I seriously doubt it. He may be grumpy and uptight, but he has actually done a lot for misfortuned and disabled children throughout his career, whether they be white, black, hispanic, asian, etc...

I am not trying to defend Imus, but you know, as an American living in a foreign country I experience this everyday of my life. Not saying that I am discriminated against like blacks, but I do get a taste of it. People here laugh at stuff like this and wonder why we get so worked up over these little things.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. (4 paragraphs) :tongue:

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The difference between racism in American and Korea is that here it is very overt and out in the open. In America there is surprise and outrage whenever someone isn't subtle about it. Here, nobody gives a shit. It's just accepted.

Exactly. I am in Japan and that is just how it is here too!

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
YouTube - The Today Show - Don Imus Vs. Al Sharpton

there's video of imus on the today show.

al sharpton is basically saying he wants imus fired. that's a little extreme.

as for nappy, it can be racist, though it's not one of those words that's exclusively bad (such as the n-word, or the c-word). i mean, when i had long hair, and i went surfing, my hair became nappy.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sharpton and Jackson do a pretty damned good job of being racists, themselves. For Sharpton to call for Imus to be fired is ludicrous. If his company retains him or fires him, that's their call. They shouldn't be half-ass about it, though.

joeyrobbie

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When Imus said what he said everyone gets very offended. However, when the same type of message is sung by a black singer in a rap song, nobody cares. It seems to be a double standard. And, many times, the lyrics are tinged with violence but Imus's remarks were clearly not meant to be threatening or violent. Ill-conceived and rude, yes, but not violent.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You guys need to think about it from a different perspective other than your own. I was listening to this radio show yesterday and this 7 year old black girl called in crying hysterically about what he said...I mean think about it, a little, innocent, proud and beautiful young girl hears something like that coming from that scumbag. All these young girls kept calling in who were basketball fans and they were so fucking upset. What have they done? They don't deserve to hear that kind of crap. I don't really see how any non racist person can defend his comments, fucking ignorant.

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Why? I told my brother that his hair looked "nappy" a few weeks ago. No joke. And, last time I checked the word "head" could be claimed by any race...

Why? THIS is why: The intent and tone of Imus's remark was racist. Your use with your brother was in an entirely different context.

My wife might like me telling her how I am "fucking her cunt" while I'm plowing her, but might not respond as well if I introduced her to our new neighbor as "my cunt".

Meanings of words and phrases are contextual, and in Imus's case the context and his usage was racist and sexist. Perhaps as important to consider is the fact that it was a VERY UNKIND THING TO SAY.

It was a truly hurtful remark directed at undeserving recipients. Imus should feel bad....not about his misstep, but about the pain he has inflicted on those girls and their families.

joeyrobbie

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm not defending Imus - but I am saying that there is a double standard - and if we are all upset over what Imus said than we should be upset when words like that are used in any context.
Skull, you are correct about trying to protect our children. I am an elementary school teacher so I therefore have dedicated my life to children. With that said, I wonder why a 7 year old girl is calling into radio shows? She had the foresight and intellegence to do so? Or was she put on the radio by an adult to illustrate a point? Or, perhaps, it wasn't really a 7 year old speaking.
I think I understand the point though - Imus's words offended people of all kind. I agree. But when Jesse Jackson called NYC "Heimetown" a few years ago, he apologized and went on, unpunished, with his career. Again, a double standard.