Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Fails

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow... just WOW.
'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal FAILS, Blocked By Senate Republicans

It's only a matter of time before people start taking torches to the Senate. If it wasn't for their constant screw ups, things may actually get done in this country. The House, even with their issues, managed to get work done. It's only in the Senate where people actually filibuster things like actually voting on a bill. Senate rules (especially filibuster abuse) need to be reformed NOW. Or else nothing will ever get done.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only thing that needs to happen in order to reform the fillibuster is that the rules need to be changed so that Senators actually have to fillibuster- meaning, read from the phone book, read from their mom's recpie book, read the Declaration of Independence- whatever. None of these endless pussy ass cloture votes. Make the morons put their money where their mouths are.

D_Evita_Zane

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When you have a party hell-bent on forbidding anything they don't want (i/e democratic legislation) from getting passed, and "making it their sole mission to make Barrak Obama a one-term president" you know right there that we're all screwed. As far as I'm concerned, the Republican party isn't interested in the people that put them in office anymore. They just want to stick it to the president.

I mean really? Even a nuke-limitation treaty with Russia? "If both Bushes say it's a good idea then I might consider voting on it." Or McCain with DADT, everyone else (even his wife) says give it up but he still holds on? I like how the percentages of those in favor of keeping/getting rid of it are reversed between Fox and MSNBC. Something like 70% of those surveyed in the active military are fine with the repeal of DADT from MSNBC, but according to Fox something like 66% want to keep it?

TOP9X7

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
please tell me how anyone except a mega rich person can support the Republican party? It amazes me that middle class people support the party whose purpose is to reduce the middle class to poverty level while promoting the interests of the very rich. DADT is just one more example of the GOP putting their own self interests above the interests of their country.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
they don't kick that many gays out so why worry about.

Typical of the straight man, who doesn't have to worry about his own civil rights being threatened, to come up with such a ridiculous line of dismissive rhetoric.

Even back in 2002, over 1200 people were kicked out of the military because they were gay or lesbian. Despite numbers being lower over successive years, the practice still has claimed plenty of casualties. To be more specific, 627 discharges in 2007, another 612 in 2006, another 726 in 2005, and 653 in 2004. Gays being kicked out of military at steady rate - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

So let's do some math going by the sample figures provided by the two articles:

2001: 1250
2002: 1241
2004: 653
2005: 726
2006: 612
2007: 627

That's 5,109 people right there, and doesn't even begin to reflect the complete total of people who have been kicked out of the military just on the basis of being gay or lesbian since the beginning. Why worry? Because it's not just the military where gay & lesbian people are discriminated against. The bullshit has to stop somewhere and at sometime. If you personally don't care about the fight for equal rights for LGBT, then step aside and let those who are continue their struggles. But while you're stepping aside, you can also shut your mouth as well because as usual, you've shown that you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Last edited:

bananaclubcock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
please tell me how anyone except a mega rich person can support the Republican party? It amazes me that middle class people support the party whose purpose is to reduce the middle class to poverty level while promoting the interests of the very rich. DADT is just one more example of the GOP putting their own self interests above the interests of their country.

I realize your "please tell me..." is rhetorical, but the simple answer is that the Republicans are the party of the isolated. Even among the mega rich, there are divisions and many of the mega rich, especially the more worldly, are relatively liberal. But there are many people in rural areas or remote small towns people that just don't have much of a perspective on the rest of the world. Older people have similar issues with isolation. So they can believe that homosexuality is just something that happens in The Village or The Castro when 'freaks' get together. These isolated people have no idea how many Republican Senators are actually homos. Hilarious!

petetown

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
North Truro (Massachusetts, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This, ultimately, is a non issue. Once it's passed we will all look at it as a civil right and can't imagine military services not allowing gays to serve. Just like we can't imagine a segregated army, or one that doesn't allow women.
However, it's being held on to in Washington to delay taking care of the real issues that they don't have a rat's ass clue about how to solve......let's take health care, education, etc.....these issues are so confounding that the elected stick with the simpler, more volatile issues.....remember, folks, those people we elected aren't any smarted than most of America.....and I'm sorry to say, that ain't sayin' much.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
This was not unexpected at least by me. In their puny little minds it is hanging on to power and pandering to the religious right it is nothing more than that. The religious right brings in mega bucks to the Republican Party and crooked televangelists with mega religious corporations spend a great deal to keep the small minds in charge. Remember that most of the problems with this one come from "God, Inc.". The big mouths in religion have nothing to do with God only raising money for more Satellites, lavish life styles, corporate jets, Rolls Royces, and incredible Real Estate holdings. The real crock is that the "God, Inc." boys use these buzz words to raise money themselves and it is for that reason that they support and do what it is that they do.

It will die only with a Presidential Order but that won't happen until President Wuss is on his way out of office. I love it, a bi-racial man approving of and continuing discrimination.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Wow... just WOW.
'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal FAILS, Blocked By Senate Republicans

It's only a matter of time before people start taking torches to the Senate. If it wasn't for their constant screw ups, things may actually get done in this country. The House, even with their issues, managed to get work done. It's only in the Senate where people actually filibuster things like actually voting on a bill. Senate rules (especially filibuster abuse) need to be reformed NOW. Or else nothing will ever get done.
I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm not. Between not really giiving a damn about their constituents (sp.?) to making sure their own pockets will always be lined with cash, by and large they're all crap piles, both Houses and both sides of the aisle. Add with that a President lacking a leadership ability, things appear grim.

they don't kick that many gays out so why worry about.
and 1 is too many. If a member of your family or a friend was kicked out would that be o.k. to you?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Woooooow, over 5,000 people in 6 years! That`s horrid!
Probably you would have opposed federal anti-lynching laws because the total number of people (mostly blacks) being lynched was not very great.
Fre, I hope your comment is not addressed to Luka as it seems, since he's on our side here.

The estimate I've come up with for the number of servicemembers discharged under DADT since it took effect in 1994 is conservatively 13,000 at least. Of course that doesn't take into account the untold 10's of thousands discharged for being gay before the policy was in place. Accurate statistics for those are nearly impossible to determine, since the discharges often did not specifically state that as the reason.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
I think that Joe Lieberman may actually be onto something with how he is approaching the matter, however. Rather than try to cram everything through at once, he is going to introduce a stand alone bill which ONLY has the purpose of repealing DADT. Whereas some people who "wanted" DADT repealed had semi-valid excuses because it was attached to the Defense Authorization Bill, if the repeal of DADT is put forward by itself, they'll have nothing left to hide behind. Either plant your feet and own up to your bigotry or stand down.