Don't Ask, Don't Tell

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, at least it made it through the House.
Now it goes to the Senate, and we all know how much of a mess that part of Congress has been. Fingers crossed, but certainly not holding my breath.

But it did already pass the Senate Armed Services Committee. All republican senators on the committee but one voted against the measure and several have vowed to filibuster the bill on the floor including our dear old hypocrite McCain.

But the amendment is attached to the military appropriations bill so they won't hold out long for fear of being branded anti-military. Lord I love irony :tongue:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
But it did already pass the Senate Armed Services Committee. All republican senators on the committee but one voted against the measure and several have vowed to filibuster the bill on the floor including our dear old hypocrite McCain.

But the amendment is attached to the military appropriations bill so they won't hold out long for fear of being branded anti-military. Lord I love irony :tongue:

The question is whether the Democrats will have the balls to call the Republicans' bluff. Will they actually FORCE the GOP to talk their heads off, like they threatened to do with financial reform? Or will they cower, and withdraw the DADT provision?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The question is whether the Democrats will have the balls to call the Republicans' bluff. Will they actually FORCE the GOP to talk their heads off, like they threatened to do with financial reform? Or will they cower, and withdraw the DADT provision?

It would be best for them to let those who still think repealing DADT is a bad idea to hang themselves. Enough rope has been given to them to do such a thing. Did you hear what some of the latest scare tactics that were launched against the repeal?

Bryan Fischer (AFA) - Homosexual soldiers basically had no limits and the savagery and brutality they were willing to inflict on whomever Hitler sent them after. So he surrounded himself, virtually all of the Stormtroopers, the Brownshirts, were male homosexuals.” - So, apparently Hitler didn't have his armies put them in prison camps and marking them with pink triangles? :rolleyes:

Cliff Kinkaid, an extremely religious nutcase claimed that it would bring "gay tainted blood" to the Military... even though anyone with HIV cannot serve (and we all know that applies to everyone regardless of sexual preference). :rolleyes:

There was another quote given recently about the biggest fear about openly gay men in the military... something about gay men going around at night and performing oral sex on soldiers while they sleep. I gotta remember who said that one, because I literally laughed my ass off when I heard that.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^ at this point that would be political suicide. they better not but I don't recall them taking the actual step to reinstate the old filibuster rules.

Harry Reid basically threatened endless all-night cloture votes, and sending out the seargent-at-arms to drag missing Republican senators onto the floor. The rules now are basically that a senator calls for unanimous consent to move onto a vote. If someone objects, they either continue debating, or a senator files a cloture motion, which requires 60 votes to pass, at which point they move onto actually voting on the legislation. The majority leader has the right to force recalcitrant (sp?) senators to stay on the floor of the Senate, and to force cloture vote after cloture vote. This right is hardly ever exercised.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
even though anyone with HIV cannot serve (and we all know that applies to everyone regardless of sexual preference). :rolleyes:

This isn't quite true. People who are HIV+ and try to enlist cannot serve, but people who seroconvert AFTER having already been enlisted may stay in- they just can't be deployed.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would be best for them to let those who still think repealing DADT is a bad idea to hang themselves. Enough rope has been given to them to do such a thing. Did you hear what some of the latest scare tactics that were launched against the repeal?

Bryan Fischer (AFA) - Homosexual soldiers basically had no limits and the savagery and brutality they were willing to inflict on whomever Hitler sent them after. So he surrounded himself, virtually all of the Stormtroopers, the Brownshirts, were male homosexuals.” - So, apparently Hitler didn't have his armies put them in prison camps and marking them with pink triangles? :rolleyes:

Cliff Kinkaid, an extremely religious nutcase claimed that it would bring "gay tainted blood" to the Military... even though anyone with HIV cannot serve (and we all know that applies to everyone regardless of sexual preference). :rolleyes:

There was another quote given recently about the biggest fear about openly gay men in the military... something about gay men going around at night and performing oral sex on soldiers while they sleep. I gotta remember who said that one, because I literally laughed my ass off when I heard that.

I believe that was Peter Sprigg of Family Research Council

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Log Cabin Club constantly tries to make people believe that there are many gay friendly Republican politicians. While they do exist, it is obvious that, at least going by the way they vote, they are in a tiny minority. Perhaps we should all contact the Log Cabin Republican Club and demand to know why so few Republican politicians support repealing DADT.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
watch out tea-baggers

gays are going to take over the world and we're starting with the armed forces!

I can't wait till all the combat boot wearin, body building, mutha-fukkin gay marines get permission to come out, and kick some redneck homophobe ass, doing crowd control at tea party conventions.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Log Cabin Club constantly tries to make people believe that there are many gay friendly Republican politicians. While they do exist, it is obvious that, at least going by the way they vote, they are in a tiny minority. Perhaps we should all contact the Log Cabin Republican Club and demand to know why so few Republican politicians support repealing DADT.

You know, I can understand Gay Libertarians. But gay Republicans, especially with this collection of bozos? I just dont get it.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
watch out tea-baggers

gays are going to take over the world and we're starting with the armed forces!

I can't wait till all the combat boot wearin, body building, mutha-fukkin gay marines get permission to come out, and kick some redneck homophobe ass, doing crowd control at tea party conventions.

I love me some gay Marines. Too bad 99% of them are bottoms. *sigh*

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You know, I can understand Gay Libertarians. But gay Republicans, especially with this collection of bozos? I just dont get it.

They may not even like the bozos themselves, but still associate more with what it used to be?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They may not even like the bozos themselves, but still associate more with what it used to be?

Perhaps, but in such cases, to me, it would make much more sense for them to re-register as non partisan, or Libertarian, or even vote for more moderate Democrats.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
The repeal of DADT is the beginning of the fall of the mindless bigots. There is absolutely nothing new about the arguments. The exact same mindless dribble of arguments were used when the integration of the United States Military took place decades ago. At that time it was the same kind of "conservative" thinking that created all the myths and all of the problems. That was ended by a simple Presidential Order. Obama, like it or not has the ability to end this dribble with the stroke of a "pen". This shows that he is trying to get a vote and remain politically popular rather than "do the right thing". It was a Presidential Order signed many decades ago that ended school segregation and most likely it will be the same that ends the military lunacy.

The United States Military is one of very few who do not openly accept gay people. The Israeli Masaad (sorry if I spelled that wrong) is known for openly recruiting gay people into it's ranks and this is one of the toughest forces in the world.

It is about time it ended period, no ceremony, no publicity, with a simple stroke of a pen and be done with it. . . .