wtf?

There's no need for a generational war.

This issue affects all generations.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seriously, dude... You sound like a reverse teabagger right now. Same bitter resentment and ignorance, different subject matter. You're really embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

And you sound like a guy who loves the sight of his typing- overinflated sense of self importance.;

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And you sound like a guy who loves the sight of his typing- overinflated sense of self importance.;

Did you look in a mirror when you typed this? :rolleyes:
Don't get mad that you were called out for something that you know was wrong. You go after conservatives on this board for making discriminative generalizations, yet here you are engaging in blatant hypocrisy by doing the exact same thing. Yet you look at me like I'm the problem?

Be a man, own up to your mistakes and shut up.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Holy crap! I'm not even sure why I'm responding to your ignorant infantile rants. Maybe out of respect for the untold political activists and friends of mine who blazed the trails and cleared the land for your comfortable, spoiled, instant gratification, gay dilletante life. Okay, here goes . . . *deep breath* . . . *sigh* . . . .

People of YOUR generation are willing to sit back and wait for political breadcrumbs. Thank god the folks of my generation- Dan Choi, Joseph Rocha, etc, are not willing to sit back and politely ask for our rights. Apologist? Yes. The powers that be have had 17 years to get this right.
People of MY generation? Breadcrumbs??? LMFAO, Nancy. People like "Dan Choi and Joe Rocha etc." stand on the soldier's shoulders of the very brave challengers and protestors who came before. What those pioneers did in a completely hostile social, political, media environment, often with very little support, before there were organizations to back them up, sometimes out there completely on their own, makes the open stands taken by present day challengers a picnic by comparison. Did you look up my friends Miriam Ben Shalom and Perry Watkins? Look up Leonard Matlovich while you're at it, the first gay service member to openly challenge the military ban beginning in 1975. Though a bit before my time, and I can't really count him as a friend, I met the man on a few occasions in later years. For all his bravery and the unshakeable strength of character displayed in his decade + of activism, he was surprisingly soft-spoken, gentle and sweet. He died of AIDS complications in 1988, and it is his nameless tombstone in the Congressional Cemetery that bears this famous inscription.
So when you talk of waiting a whole "17 years to get this right", consider this, dumbass:
"Some younger people seem to think that the ban on gays actually started with Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and too many older are unaware of how long the issue has shared the top of the list of demands for gay equality. Both tend to be unaware of how many movement pioneers were/are veterans."
Here are a few even earlier pioneers if you're interested in learning a little of your history: Gay Military Signal

I live in a SAFE democratic district- Obama got some 75% or so of the vote in my congressional district at large- and 85%+ in my zip code.
Nice deflection. I lived in that district for nearly 20 years. Thanks for the newsflash. :rolleyes: I specifically said you should get to work drumming up moderate voters to defeat Whitman and Fiorina, who last time I checked were running for statewide offices. Also, last time I checked the polling data (today) Brown and Boxer are in a statistical dead heat with their Republican challengers. (So much for your proclamation that California voters would never elect Fiorina.) :rolleyes: If you want to keep it closer to home, you could look in virtually any direction at races in the districts that surround your safe gay-friendly Uptown neighborhood, which last time I checked are mostly represented in congress by some very conservative Republicans.

BTW- no I dont expect Obama to sign any executive order now- he should have done it his first day in office. Act like a fucking president goddamnit. HE'S in charge of the military, not the admirals and generals. If any of the leaders object- fire them. That's the way it is. He has a vast majority of the American people on his side.
He is acting like a president, the president of all the people, not just those petulant children who want it done right now by any means necessary. He's showing that "vast majority" who support ending the ban in the abstract, that he's proceeding in a smart, judicious, responsible and timely manner to get this right. He's also not so stupid he would expend all his political capital unnecessarily on a highly divisive and emotional issue.
You want him to act like a dictator, which is exactly how he would be portrayed by congressional Republicans if he bypassed Congress, circumvented his own process, and signed an executive order. The backlash from conservatives and teapartiers would further whip up these already highly energized voters into a frenzy, it would completely dominate the media narrative 24/7 drowning out any other issue, prevent anything else from happening in DC, and guarantee that both houses of Congress go to the Repulicans and the teabaggers. Why can you not get this through your dizzy little head? I'm starting to wonder if you're smokin somethin. At any rate, I really question if pursuing the law is the best career path for you, judging from your less than impressive analytical skills.

YOU, sir, have no idea WHAT I do to attempt to influence my politicians, nor am I going to humor you by telling you.
When I look at your avatar, I can just imagine you and your little twinkie friends marching down University Avenue, waving rainbow flags on a perfect sunny SoCal day in the heart of the gay ghetto, taking pictures and tweeting your friends, turning left on Fifth Avenue and stopping at one of the 3 or 4 Starbucks along the way. Maybe you can book Lady Gaga to lead the parade. :rolleyes:

Caught me. Allow me to clarify. By complacent, I do not mean you don't try to affect your politicians. By complacent I meant that generally, folks of your generation think that kind of stuff is sufficient.You have forgotten what those of your generation (AIDS, stonewall, etc) knew - that being angry can be useful. Being impatient can be useful. Having a good old fashioned riot can be useful. Of all the op-eds I read criticizing the antics of the progenitors of ACT UP (namely, GetEQUAL), they are all folks of YOUR generation- the ones who want to stick to the tactics of the cocktail queers- the ones who think it's sufficient to keep on politely asking politicians via letters, phone calls, and cocktail parties.
Yeah, why don't you read a few more "op-eds". That'll tell the story. :rolleyes: Tell you what pipsqueak, don't generalize about me or "folks of [my] generation". I've stuck my neck out, put my ass on the line (and in jail) and been involved in more acts of civil disobedience in my life than I can remember. You probably know that from reading my posts though, so stop with your generalizations, your stereotypes, and your deliberately disingenuous deflections. I've also worked the halls of congress, met with and challenged my senators, representives and their aides (from the South), and pushed legislation, when doing so wasn't particularly well received. I helped elect my friend Councilmember Chris Kehoe, the first openly gay officeholder in San Diego, who went on to be Speaker pro tem of the California State Assembly, and is currently serving in the state Senate. With any luck, she'll be the first openly gay congressional representative from the 39th district when she's termed out in California. This is scratching the surface of what people like me and "my generation" have done and continue to do, and unlike you, we've done it hostile territory like you can't even begin to imagine. It's taken a multi-pronged approach and lots of sacrifice to get where we are, and to make the world safe for children like you to suck dicks in a Balboa Park toilet. One tactic that is definitely not effective is rioting. Just ask the folks in Watts or Detroit some forty years later.

FYI, I hate cocktail parties, and I've never given a dime to HRC. I have contributed to NGLTF when it was viable, and I still contribute to the ACLU and to Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, along with a number of environmental causes. More importantly, I, along with many of "my generation", have worked tirelessly to advance the cause of LGBT equality and social justice in general, and in my case, environmental activism as well. Some of us are tired now, but we're still engaged. What have you done, pipsqueak, other than complain, twitter and tweet your self-absorbed musings, and post your childish emotional rants on a big dick site? You think you younguns have a monopoly on anger? You think you invented civil disobedience and political activism? Give me a fukin break. How dare you label me and the countless activists of "my generation" as "apologists" and "complacent" and as "pawns". BTW child, here's a reality check. Quite a few, perhaps most, of the best and brightest of my generation didn't make it out alive, being as we were decimated by the AIDS epidemic, which you can thank us for bringing into public and political awareness, keeping it in check, and pushing to get treatments developed - treatments that will help you live if, god forbid, you ever get infected.

I'd like you to look at a brief bio of my dear friend and political running buddy Albert Bell, founder of ActUp San Diego, from the program for the 2005 Wall of Honor Commemoration at the LGBT Center in your hometown (scroll down). Impressive as it is, it's actually a short list of his huge influence and many accomplishments in his short life. "Radical" as he was, and he definitely was, he was smart, and knew how to work inside the process as well. He knew when to push, when to overturn the apple cart, and when to stand firm and steady. If your political connections are what you purport, ask former Mayor Maureen O'Connor sometime how she remembers Albert, who was a fixture at every Q&A and State of the City address, as well as behind closed doors. I'm sure she'll tell you he was a major thorn in her side, but someone she ultimately respected and admired, and who pushed her to accomplishments for the community she is quite proud of in retrospect. Someone I would guess that in spite of herself, she developed some affection for.

Hold their feet to the fire? You bet your ass baby, and some of us who survived those decades, tired as we are, still do. The exuberance of youth is fine, but you could learn a thing or two from us old farts who are still doing the hard work and still blazing the trails, whether you see it on youtube or not.

WOH Program Book 2005 Final (I have three other friends on that list of 2005 honorees, all remarkable, and two like Albert, dead of AIDS. FWIW. I started scrolling through the previous years' honorees, but there were so many other departed friends, it was just too sad, and I couldn't continue.)

Oh yes, how DARE I question yours and max's preeminent wisdom! How DARE I criticize your insistence that I be patient. Just because I wasn't alive or contemporaneously aware of things going on in the historical events that you mention doesn't mean I am not fully aware of them, or what times were like.
But you don't know, baby boy. You don't even have a handle on the present, much less the past. You couldn't possibly know what it was like unless you lived through it and were on the front lines. Just like I can't know what it was like in the generations that came before me, though I can surely come a hell of a lot closer to imagining than you.

You can;t attempt to shut me down because I'm some young whippersnapper.
But ya are, Blanche, ya are. And every time you open your pie hole you prove it. And I for one don't want to shut you down. I want you to grow up and channel your energy and passion into something productive.

People of YOUR generation have become complacent, and too lenient with the string-us-along Democrats. People like like max have stopped putting the Democrats feet to the fire, and it's young whippersnappers like Dan Choi chaining themselves to fences who are the new leaders. It's the HRC cocktail queers who are holding us back now. How DARE you and max and others of your ilk tell me to be patient. Fuck that. YOU watch yourself....SIR.
Oh brother. :rolleyes2: Chained to a fence? woo hoo. How original. Been there, done that. :rolleyes2:
[And I think it's time to drop the "cocktail queers" talking point. It's cliche', and just tired.]

In conclusion, you can kiss my sweet ass, whippersnapper, and guess what, it's still hotter than yours. :tongue:

Grow up!

And don't ever call me a pawn or an apologist, you little smartass.

Last edited:

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The reason we still have DADT in place is because of John McCain, the two idiot senators from Arkansas (including Blanche Lincoln, who is up for reelection) and the two lying Republican women from Maine. PERIOD. This should be enough for all of you, who agree with the federal judge from Riverside CA that DADT is unconstitutional that the time has come to :
vote Republicans out of office, along with blanche lincoln of Arkansas, november 2. get active. call your local demo campaign office. take on grampa mcshame and his troglodytes and keep them in the minority, as they deserve to belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ravenx

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The reason we still have DADT in place is because of John McCain, the two idiot senators from Arkansas (including Blanche Lincoln, who is up for reelection) and the two lying Republican women from Maine. PERIOD.

Actually, all of the Republican members are equally responsible. Just because the Republican women from Maine were considered likely to vote for it but didn't doesn't make them any more responsible than the deeply homophobic Republicans that no one expected to ever support it.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

People of YOUR generation have become complacent, and too lenient with the string-us-along Democrats. People like like max have stopped putting the Democrats feet to the fire, and it's young whippersnappers like Dan Choi chaining themselves to fences who are the new leaders.

By complacent I meant that generally, folks of your generation think that kind of stuff is sufficient. You have forgotten what those of your generation (AIDS, stonewall, etc) knew- that being angry can be useful. Being impatient can be useful. Having a good old fashioned riot can be useful. Of all the op-eds I read criticizing the antics of the progenitors of ACT UP (namely, GetEQUAL), they are all folks of YOUR generation- the ones who want to stick to the tactics of the cocktail queers- the ones who think it's sufficient to keep on politely asking politicians via letters, phone calls, and cocktail parties.

These posts are just appalling, TC. Were you exhausted or high or something when you wrote them? Inter-generational arguments are an internet trap of divide-and-conquer, and I gave up on them a long time ago, so don't expect me to take the bait :rolleyes:

They always boil down to the same thing: the younger people come off as arrogant and willfully ignorant, shrill pieces of contempt with no appreciation for the hard work that came before them; the older people come off as jaded, pearl-clutching blowhards who walked uphill barefoot in the snow for decades.

Turning the DADT debacle into a generational thing is lose/lose: there's not a soul on this board who doesn't believe it needs to be repealed. Parsing us out into young/old is as futile as straight/gay or black/white: I know you're a hot-head but you really did cross a line. Cut down on the caffeine, get some sleep and go out to a movie or something.

I know you much too well to expect an apology or explanation for this unhinged lapse from reason, but you really need to reread and think through what you've said here without undue defensiveness. I think you'll find that you've insulted too many people in much too easy and gratuitous a manner to just let it slide.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
They always boil down to the same thing: the younger people come off as arrogant and willfully ignorant, shrill pieces of contempt with no appreciation for the hard work that came before them; the older people come off as jaded, pearl-clutching blowhards who walked uphill barefoot in the snow for decades.
I don't own any pearls. Can I clutch my dog tags instead?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
And today Senator Chambliss (the biggest open homophobe in the US Senate) had "All faggots should die!" posted on his facebook/web page? But I doubt Chambliss will take responsibility and do anything about apologizing or canning the staff member who set the e-mail.

Chambliss, Saxby - (R - GA) Class II
416 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-3521
Web Form: chambliss.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Last edited:

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe we should leave it up to the guys/gals that are serving in our military? I did 6 years in the early eighties and still today would have no problem standing shoulder to shoulder with any gay American protecting our country.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And Senator Chambliss hasn't been discovered sucking cock or taking it up the rear yet?

We're going to shove it down their throats until these bastards choke on it.

And today Senator Chambliss (the biggest open homophobe in the US Senate) had "All faggots should die!" posted on his facebook/web page? But I doubt Chambliss will take responsibility and do anything about apologizing or canning the staff member who set the e-mail.

Chambliss, Saxby - (R - GA) Class II
416 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-3521
Web Form: chambliss.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Max, I'm going to write to Santa Claus to ask him to give you some pearls for Christmas to go along with your dog tags, or to change up every now and then. And none of those cheap fake ones, either.

I don't own any pearls. Can I clutch my dog tags instead?

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't think I agree with this for either side of the divide, Buck. I think guys like TC are revved up on youthful passion which has not yet been tempered by experience. I think any ignorance is not mostly willful, but the ignorance that comes from lack of life experience. I'm not trying to tell you guys how to respond to him, just presenting another viewpoint. With all due respect, what were you guys like when you were 26? (I know I'll get flamed for this, but he also recently posted that law school was kicking his ass)

I think your words are rather harsh for the old-timers, too. I can see, though, that maybe your "come off as" for both groups is a qualifier that signifies that you are speaking about appearances, not necessarily about interior realities. Love the reference to pearl clutching, though. What's conveyed by the imagery there is magnificent.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Max, I'm going to write to Santa Claus to ask him to give you some pearls for Christmas to go along with your dog tags, or to change up every now and then. And none of those cheap fake ones, either.
Okay, Santa. I'd like these then:

Multicolor Black South Sea Cultured Pearl Necklace - Mikimoto

And maybe this charcoal jade ring to match my jaded attitude. :wink:

(I know I'll get flamed for this, but he also recently posted that law school was kicking his ass)
We all have our crosses to bear, I do anyway. It's no excuse for being an obnoxious, ignorant jackass.

Last edited: