Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Tremaine

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Hooray and about time, that the USA the so called land of the free, caught up with much of the rest of the world's military, and accepted that Gay people can serve in the Armed Forces.

Here in the UK there was a great fuss about the prospect, and eventually when the then Labour Government had no option to change the law, it all went through and hardly anyone noticed a difference.

All that matters is, can the person next to you do their job, it really does not matter what they like to do in bed.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If anything it may give some of the possibly many undecided,s, ,a little comfort & relief as well
often no ones 100% sure, much of the time, especially 18-23-25-27 yr olds, my experience.

Keep on yr winning ways USA
enz

oh well, guess they magically get merged? ha'

Last edited:

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ok, someone set me straight,

I read on one of the opposition site that since prior to DADT, if someone was suspected of same sex attraction/activity, discharging them could be and was persued without admittance or proof.

DADT was inacted with the understanding that as long as they didn't admit it, or be caught in a compromising position, they were protected from the Armed Services "asking them" or taking any action regarding it.

They were saying that now that DADT has been repealed, the old way of persueing and discharging could start up again.

Will it be now worded that it's not a concern, and that anybody straight or gay can enlist, or can it, God Forbid, possibly go backwards to the old way?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok, someone set me straight,

I read on one of the opposition site that since prior to DADT, if someone was suspected of same sex attraction/activity, discharging them could be and was persued without admittance or proof.

DADT was inacted with the understanding that as long as they didn't admit it, or be caught in a compromising position, they were protected from the Armed Services "asking them" or taking any action regarding it.

They were saying that now that DADT has been repealed, the old way of persuing and discharging could start up again.

Will it be now worded that it's not a concern, and that anybody straight or gay can enlist, or can it, God Forbid, possibly go backwards to the old way?
The repeal of DADT makes being openly gay in the armed services entirely legal. There will be no bringing back of the "old ways."

NEWREBA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I know that this repeal is about rights but to be honest why would any gay person want to be in the military? What am I missing here?

Tremaine

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I know that this repeal is about rights but to be honest why would any gay person want to be in the military? What am I missing here?

What has being gay got to to with serving one's country?
Why should there be a conflict?

You can be sure that there are str8 people who are soft and gentle and gay folk who are rough and tough. But also being a service man is not all about killing people. There are other trades other than infantry men in our armed forces.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Put it like this, if I was in the armed services, I would NEVER have any objection, working with a gay guy, as I have often done in my real working life. My only request, is the person in question, can do his / her job.

My only stipulation is (Like I said to my mate John, who eventually came out to me), just respect each others space, with respect to sexuality, and there will be no problems.

I love a laugh with gay guys, as I find them the most reliable of friends to me, as shown when John came out to me, and I have had many of my gay friends tell me, I am the most gay acting, yet strait guy they have ever met..... A perfect Fag-Stag :biggrin1:

One of the many reasons why I have become a member here :cool:

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

In addition to the fully first-class status as being seen as equally fit to serve one's country as anyone else (not to be underestimated), there are many advantages to having had a military background.

There are high-tech vocational training opportunities that are simply only available in the military. Is there a commercial pilot in the world who didn't learn how to fly via his time in the Air Force?

There's also the VA, which helps with health care as you age, ROTC (which is how my father's college education was paid) and the GI Bill, which allowed my parents to buy their first house at a time when it would simply have been out of their grasp.

My father's life was filled with opportunities that mine was not. Whether or not I was cut out to serve in the military as a young man (and I might well have learned some internal discipline much earlier than I did), the fact remains that the door was always locked from the inside: it was a choice I never had.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Well, ever since they repealed the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy that covered straight interior designers, straight hairdressers, straight fashion designers, etc., it seemed only fair to apply the inverse property to gays in the military.