Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have a question for the transsexual members here, in order to be aware of how to talk respectfully.
Being a man who happens to be homosexual, I find it absurd and only sensation-seeking when media underline people's sexual orientation only when they are homosexual. So a victim is addressed as gay, even though they're sexual orientation has nothing whatssoever to do with the happening.
Same story with transsexual people.
With a difference: while they don't mention straight people's sexual orientation, they do mention their gender. For instance: "The woman was robbed in the subway".
When I studied sexual identity, I learnt that transsexual people are transitioning to the opposite gender physically because that's how they feel mentally. It is a journey to something they want to be. Therefore my opinion was that I should address a MtF transexual person as "woman", a FtM person as "man".
Long story short, should media (and people) keep on using the word "transsexual" or refer to women and men? Or do you want to be recognised as transsexual people?
Thank you for your kind attention and patience.

Reactions: Lpfr