Don't Go Breaking Her Heart!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm so glad this woman had the balls to take this bastard to court. Hopefully it will put the men who like to lead women on, on alert. :mad::cool:

Woman Sues Ex-Fiancé, Wins

Posted By: Duffie Dixon

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- A Gainesville woman has successfully sued her ex-fiancé after he called off their wedding. A jury ruled it was a breach of contract and ordered him to pay $150,000 in damages.

Rosemary Shell holds a large, glittering engagement ring in her hands. She no longer wears it on her ring finger, but instead keeps it in the box it came in. She says it's a reminder of what could have been.

"He changed his mind for no good reason," said Shell.

She's talking about Wayne Gibbs of Gainesville, a man she dated for five years. Shell says when he said he wasn't interested in marriage she moved to Pensacola, Florida and started a lucrative new job earning $81,000 a year plus bonuses and benefits.

Then Gibbs showed up.

"He asked me to marry him. He gave me a ring and I gave up my life and my career and I came back to Gainesville. He told me he would pay my bills, that we would be married by the holidays and we would live happily ever after. I believed him," said Shell.

But two days before the wedding, she says Gibbs left her a goodbye note saying he couldn't go through with the wedding. He also wrote her a $5,000 dollar check. She says she tore up both and instead sued him for breach of contract.

Shell's lawyer, former Hall County District Attorney Lydia Sartain, successfully argued before a jury that Gibbs owed Shell what she'd lost in salary plus pain and suffering.

"He callously allowed her to quit her job, move back and into his house where she had no income and then after a couple of months he just put her out on the streets and said 'you know you're on your own'," said Sartain.

After just a day of testimony, the jury sided with Shell and ordered Gibbs to pay $150,000 dollars in damages.

Neither Gibbs nor his attorney was available for comment. Gibbs did testify that he didn't feel he owed Shell anything, especially since he'd let her keep the engagement ring.

The ring Shell now keeps in that box and plans to sell. She says she hopes the next woman who receives it has a fiancé who will follow through.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
PA, We really dont know the full story. He may have tried to break it off with her and she wouldnt take no for an answer. It happens.
That's true he may have tried to break it off 2 months before the wedding. The news report I saw only showed her, not him. BUT, he pursued her after she left the state. That's why he has to pay now.

As I understand it the damages she won are basically reimbursement for her moving costs from Florida to Georgia as well as the wages she lost when she moved in with him. He did not allow her to work, so as far as I am concerned that's fair. She gave up a life for him.

B_FruitFly

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
"He asked me to marry him. He gave me a ring and I gave up my life and my career and I came back to Gainesville. He told me he would pay my bills, that we would be married by the holidays and we would live happily ever after. I believed him," said Shell.

But two days before the wedding, she says Gibbs left her a goodbye note saying he couldn't go through with the wedding. He also wrote her a $5,000 dollar check. She says she tore up both and instead sued him for breach of contract.

She sounds pretty damn nieve or full of shit.

Might have been cheaper just to marry her.

Since when should the government penalize you for making a life decision? The act was canceled and the guy still had to pay!

Last edited:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just another reason why I think marriage is a joke. Now it's some kind of business contract. Now you don't even have to get married, and you can still be under contract. Fucking stupid. :mad:

D_Coyne Toss

Expert Member
Media
He deserved it. Marriage has to be taken seriously, ain't no joke or simple contract.

Damn, you are making a long therm project, you have to ponder it seriously, and if you are not sure, be honest and don't run away leaving some money for compensation.

If you are not responsable enough to take your commitments seriously, you aren't ready not only for marriage, but for the whole life.

One may not be convinced, it is human. But say it in advance and don't make promises you can't mantain.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just another reason why I think marriage is a joke. Now it's some kind of business contract. Now you don't even have to get married, and you can still be under contract. Fucking stupid. :mad:
I don't know if you clicked the link and saw her picture but she's no spring chicken. The fact of the matter is women do not have the luxury of time that men do when it comes to having a family. Also, once you are past 30-35 ageism in the workplace is very real. The job market is sucky right now.

Once past the age of 28 I give a man 2 years to shit or gift off the pot. Either you love me and you want to get married or you don't. End of story. You can't buy back childbearing years at Macy's. :mad: The judge most likely took all that into consideration and based his decision on that.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not in ANY WAY dismissing the pain and suffering she endured as well as the job loss, but perhaps it may in the long run be a blessing for her that he broke it off before they married. He sounds as if he had at the very least, intense commitment issues. Often commitment phobics will hang in there with someone until the discomfort of the situation will make them do anything to get out of it. Ironically, they often have a hard time permanently detaching from the person because at the bottom of it all is a basic inability to make a final decision. Taking one path and leaving all others behind. For some people that is a very big thing, be the fear real or not it is there.

I dont think it is so much that the person didnt take it seriously, it may be that they took it so seriously that it paralyzed them and then made them run.

Last edited:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What a bitch!

+1 She's a complete dumb ass.
No one forced her to give up anything, she agreed with all the actions, including moving and not to work. He didn't have a gun to her head. Therefore, all of her actions are her sole responsibility and she should deal with the consequences... other than half the wedding expenses.

If I were on the jury, I wouldn't have awarded her the sweat from his balls for breach of contract, but would have certainly forced her to give him the ring back. I hope he appeals and wins. *shakes head*

RamIt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She was an adult, she made her own decisions. I cant believe she is getting six figures for being dumb.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Who knows what happened? We don't know. I think she was dumb as hell to drop everything, move in with him, and all that before the wedding. Hell to the no! You date, get engaged, spend time getting to know each other, don't drop your life on the promise of something that may not come. brrr duh.