Don't Just Tax the Rich

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pitbull, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Pitbull

Gold Member

2. sargon20

Gold Member

But they're so full of shit :crazy2::crazy2:

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    *yawn* As soon as he said "nanny state" I lost interest. Learn some new insults. They get old fast.

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Precisely. They want you to be sympathetic to their needs or wants, but then go on to mention the most obvious of politically distorted pejoratives. And of course, if someone responded with a degrading term in response they would be the first to claim that you're "name calling" and then whine and cry about being such a rude person. Whatever. Greed is greed, regardless of the form. And I have no time or sympathy for anyone who are truly wealthy in this nation to act as if their lives are under some kind of stress knowing that without the current economic state we're in they wouldn't be able to exploit it to make the money they all claim they "worked hard" to get.

I'm so sick of people who are obviously on the opposite end of the wealth spectrum trying to defend or even excuse the actions of the rich as if somehow they're going to be in their position someday. They need to get wise to the game, understand what is really going on in their country and speak on matters once they get all of the numbers situated.

Don't just tax the rich? Such bullshit. At a time when our combined federal, state and local taxes are at record lows and the gaps between the upper and lower classes are getting larger, that line of rhetoric needs to be put to pasture with the quickness. This isn't about symbolic gestures to stroke the backs of the greedy to make it seem as if we're treating everyone fairly. This is about healing the economy... and everyone knowns raising taxes on the poor does nothing because they have practically nothing to tax to begin with. You make more money, you pay more taxes. Period. If that's too evil for you, then perhaps you'd try making less money so you'd pay less in taxes every year? But I doubt anyone is trying to hear that.

#4 B_VinylBoy, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

6. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I posted a quick response on You Tube ----- 2.2 million households in America hold 1.4 TRILLION in assets! Europe would be so proud to know that we've finally reached the point of having an American Aristocracy!!

Just how does anyone making minimum wage watch this shit and then have the courage to pull the Republican lever in November because "I want to vote for those good Christian candidates who oppose abortion and don't want the homosexuals taking over my nation!"

And when Mr. Whittle finally says, "After we've eaten the rich -- then what?" Well I'll tell you Mr. Whittle............you let the average American worker BUY the company he works for so he can SHARE in the profits instead of working for the boss man who makes millions while he's told, "we can only AFFORD to give you a 2.5% increase this year!" (That's what I've been told for the last 9 years in MY job -- while my company has just purchased 35 senior retiree buildings in North Carolina -- and paid CASH!" Oh how we "value" you as an employee! One of these days our highly paid corporate executives are going to be asked to clean the shit stains off the carpets in our retiree's apartments --- at $7.50 an hour starting salary!

7. Pitbull

Gold Member

They can do that today if they have the money.
    Most companies are for sale on the NY Stock Exchange.

or are you talking about stealing the companies?

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And the red herrings continue to fly. :rolleyes:

9. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    It's funny, isn't it, how a company's "financial hardships" only seem to apply to the people who actually generate revenue for the company and not to the people who, let's face it, don't do any work that actually generates revenue directly but who depend on the work of others for their salaries and dividends?

10. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    Which is fine so long as they're flying into the compost heap where they belong - after all, red herrings turn red because they're improperly cured, so eating them can cause some nasty stomach problems. I know that I usually want to hurl any time I've had one shoved down my throat... :wink:

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

I don't think we should tax the rich until it hurts, but we should tax them enough so that it feels real good.

12. parr

parr New Member

Why not plug a few more tax loopholes.

13. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    That would certainly be a good start; however, when the people who write the laws also happen to be in the tax brackets that benefit from those loopholes, one shouldn't hold one's breath for that to happen any time soon. :wink:

Geez, I'm getting cynical in my middle age...

14. Pitbull

Gold Member

Here is a novel idea.
    The government cuts spending.

15. Drifterwood

Gold Member

A 14.5 Trillion mortgage over twenty years at 5% would cost you c. 1 trillion a year. The current US tax take has dipped to c. 2 trillion a year, meaning a requirement for a 50% increase in tax for the next twenty years to pay off the debt.

Current US tax take is c. 30% of GDP, meaning that this would have to go up to 45%.

Welcome to Europe :biggrin1:

EDIT - and of course, you can only spend the nett amount after the mortgage payments. No more running in the red.

Effectively you let people earn c. $15,000 without tax and then you start at 36% basic going up to 50% (or more if you really hate rich people). On top of this you will have sales tax on all goods except food and kids clothes of about 20%. Oh, and double gas prices with tax. Basically if they can see it, it gets taxed.

#15 Drifterwood, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  16. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    Personally, I think it should be closer to $20K tax free based on the local cost-of-living. Around where I live, basic expenses - rent (1 br apt.), food that you cook yourself, basic utilities, basic cell phone service, used car payment, insurance for the car, gas for the car, repair allowance for the car, and dial-up internet - add up to about $20k a year (and I don't live in a particularly "high rent" area); you could probably get away with $15k if you ditch the car, but unfortunately, unless you live in a pedestrian-friendly city (i.e. not here in the suburbs), car ownership is necessary in order to hold down a job, buy groceries, etc.

Maybe instead of one flat deduction, each county could set its own "cost-of-living" deduction (updated annually) based on the average local costs of a standardized "shopping basket" of essentials - that way people who live in areas where the essentials are more expensive (for whatever reason) get a higher deduction - and then you tax everything above that.

When it comes right down to it, people shouldn't pay taxes on the money they need for the basics; they should only pay on their surplus earnings once their basic needs are covered (food, shelter, transportation, communication connection, etc.). One could, of course, argue that people who make less than their deduction should get a refund for the difference to ensure that everyone is at least able to meet their basic needs, but that might be considered a bit too "radical" for some. :wink:

17. maxcok

Gold Member

Communist! :angryfire2:

18. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

This is all interesting talk, but to me the main thing is to take a good hard look at things not paying taxes at all that may not be what they seem.

I think we really need to take a good hard look these days at what actually constitutes a church or religious institution. There definitely are good legitimate ministries who try to feed and chothe the poor, try to help people down on their luck find employment, and most of all promote caring with regards to our fellow man.

There sadly or unfortunately also are numerous ministries that are nothing more than a giant tax dodging corporation masquerading as a ministry.

If a ministry does not in fact put it's money where it's collective mouth is with regards to helping people and puts all of it's yearly earnings into buying up more satellite transponders without major restrictions on what they can do with money, they are no longer a church but a large profit making corporation successfully dodging the tax system.

19. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:

#19 vibrationzzz, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  20. dude_007

Gold Member

Yawn

I suppose when you get old you won't draw any social security or use any Medicare benefits or go to the parks because there won't be any or on and on it could go. This is America, spending isn't an option it is the way of the country. By the way, republicans spend far more money.

I'm sure what you really mean is cut welfare for all the lazy people or the illegal immigrants and just get rid of the coloreds and slow down the browning of america.
    Such a tired argument.

I have a better idea. People start cooperating again in this country.

#20 dude_007, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted