Dont write no bad grammar at no LPSG

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Pecker, May 16, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Grammar, or to be more specific, bad grammar.

It's earned its own thread.

We've got a large share of English Majors onsite so let's hear it: what gets on your nerves when it comes to improper English usage?

Here's one that gets my goat:

then instead of than: "I'd rather see Episode III at the movies then on DVD."

grrrrrrr! It makes me want to wrap my dick around the chandelier and hang myself.

2. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I hate the mix up between "your" and "you're"

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

How about the most famous of all split infinitives:

"...to boldly go..."

Thanks a whole lot, Roddenberry.

4. Onslow

Gold Member

Hay ya knowd I ain't not never gived it much thought. Nopers, I ain't ables to ritely say I done. No surrey I ain't ever gave it no never mind.

The first to spring to mind is the ever popular there/their/they're.

Clearly there are grammatical (and spelling) errors all over the place and some are beyond catastrophic in nature (at least that's how they appear to me). It may have to do with not checking a post before submitting or it may be language barriers since some persons here are not from English speaking nations originally or reside in one even now.

Not being an English Major myself-- although I did once have a brief fling with an American Captain-- it's difficult for me to know just how to respond. In general--never been in a General that I know of-- I try not to get to caught up in this. I see, I seethe, I breathe and I (try to) let it go, after all it isn't politics or Junior bashing so I let it go (usually). Perhaps if this board had a spell and grammar check things would go better, eh?

So, about those t-shirts from your racing weekend--when can I expect mine? You did get gifts for all of us didn't you? Look, I am serious about this. I do not want you to disect my post and list my errors until after I get my shirt. Size to be determined.

5. Student21

Student21 New Member

LOL I personally hate the except/accept. My friend is always writing e-mails and getting the two mixed up. She isn't a very good college student.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Everybody gets skidmarks.

Sorry, they're not autographed. :(

7. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

With these grammar threads being developed, are you going to tell Chuck to take the double negative out of his North Jersey signature? ...'cause, really, that's gonna suck.

8. Max

Max New Member

I think it's versus its has to take first place.

9. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Give me time to compile my list; I'll get back to you (and you I will!). Along with TAG's your/you're and Max's its/it's, let's not forget their/they're/there; however, there are things that work my nerves even more. I'll be posting in this thread again.

10. jonb

Gold Member

Let me just put it this way: Two simple keystrokes, and I'd take "ur" post more seriously.

11. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

y wood u say that muh ritingz jus fine

12. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, I forgot, you're used to all kinds of l33t from your students. It's no wonder you improved their grades as soon as you got there; it'd be kinda hard for grades to go any lower.

As far as split infinitives go, it's a matter of how natural it sounds. "I desire to never be alone again." sounds more natural than "I desire never to be alone again." or "I desire to be never alone again."

You'll find that very few teachers will always say split infinitives are bad. In fact, there's the ambiguity issue: "You fail completely to recognize the fact." could mean "You fail to completely recognize the fact." or "You completely fail to recognize the fact." Split infinitives sometimes, rarely, are ambiguous; mostly then it's adverbs like "further" which are also verbs.

13. D_Barbi_Queue

I freakin' hate "leet." I instantly stop giving any respect to anyone that uses it too much.

14. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

l3375p33k 15 57r1c7l33 f0rb1dd3n 1n |\/|y cl455r00|\/|!

15. D_Barbi_Queue

Ahhhh!!!! :spank:

16. steve319

Gold Member

This topic should have a long life, don't you think? We can keep returning here to post quotes from other topics on LPSG. ;)

In the same vein as what's been mentioned already, I submit the misguided aural insanity substitution of using the word "of" instead of the word "have." Send your children to bed and brace yourselves:

I should of been murdered young to prevent the eventual writing of sentences like this.

I'm not a true stickler, but I have to admit to an irritation with writing that ignores the elegance of subjunctive mood. Witness the crime scene ahead:

If I was a guy with a brain, I'd have chosen a better verb there.

And hey, is it just me, or do you guys involuntarily roll your eyes when you see commas after quotation marks rather than inside of them?

"Flog me for my ignorance", I begged.

I'm sure we'll all find more in days to come.

17. Supportive Female

Supportive Female New Member

This is the "mother of all lists" concerning homonyms, etc.:

www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/errors.html

18. ashlar

Gold Member

Albums:
    y wood u say that muh ritingz jus fine
    [post=311789]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

UGH! You just found my disgust point. Using single letters to represent entire words. I can handle "LOL" and things like that. Aside from that, run on sentances and poor paragraph structure piss me off.

19. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I agree. I, too, lament the infrequent appearance of the subjunctive and wish it were properly applied more often.

Incidentally, let us not forget that the subjunctive takes another form in certain circumstances: the subjunctive of condition, or, more commonly, the conditional:

"If this man be guilty, let him be hanged."
    This is different from, "If this man were guilty, he would have been hanged."

It depends. American usage seems to be to put punctuation inside of the quotation marks regardless of what the quotations marks are used for. British usage is a bit different. In your example , it does belong inside the quotation marks, but consider the following example:

Sophia asked Lord Fellamar if he was "out of his senses". (British)

Sophia asked Lord Fellamar if he was "out of his senses." (American)

The period ends the whole sentence, not just the words enclosed in the quotation marks, therefore British usage puts it at the absolute end of the sentence: after the quotation marks. I tend to follow British usage.

I've thought of a couple of things that irritate me that I'll add now:

•"Where is it at?"

•"prolly"

More will doubtlessly follow.

20. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Geez, just STFU and get rid of Messrs. already.

Draft saved Draft deleted