Do's and Don'ts when PM'ing women online.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Trust me my life isn't complete unless I've verbally bitch slapped someone that day so if anyone steps out of line I'll always slap 'em back over it :)

can i be your bitch?

I don't mind "nice tits":biggrin1:

yeah but that's so much wasted bandwidth telling you what you already know. :tongue:

anyhoo--

do PM me if you have something to talk about that you saw on the boards or just want to drop a line and say hello since we've had interaction on the boards before.

don't bother me otherwise.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't even attempt to pm the ladies. I am afraid to. Very seldom any of them pm me, so I assume they aren't interested, and will get angry if I bother them...

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My basic rule is that if it could have been copied and pasted, don't bother. I'm annoyed less by uninteresting/obvious sexual PMs than I am by the people who send them persisting in sending several more once you stop responding. It's not a big problem on here, but it's a huge one on the gaming/nerdy forums I'm popular on.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah, that's a good point too. If you've been posting a lot on the boards, then when you PM a woman she can have some idea of who you are and what you're like (just like you can do the same reading her posts).

When you're at post count zero, that alone can give a kind of creepiness factor because you know all this stuff about us and we know nothing about you.

OMG! That is so true! The 0 post PM guy who tells me he wants to 'fuk me' makes me think stalker. Especially if he says he likes picture #42 in my gallery. I don't memorize them! It's a little creepy that they counted the pics to tell me that.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't usually bother pm'ing anybody unless something they posted on the boards caught my eye, made me think, got me a-chuckling, etc. and usually when I start a conversation that way it actually goes somewhere, so I agree with the first point.

On the second... in my book this is just further commentary on the sad state of interpersonal interaction these days and how paranoid everybody is anymore. My father LOVES finding people from Ohio, particularly if they come from common areas. He grew up around Boardman and Youngstown, went to school later at Kent State. That's a huge part of his identity and a defining element of his life experience and if he finds out that you're from Ohio or Pennsylvania he'll immediately ask which part and then talk your ear off if its any place he's ever heard of. His generation doesn't have "stalkerish" in its vocabulary, nor a list of "creepy" things people do that would garner them such a label. Maybe community simply isn't as important as it used to be. Or maybe people really are just paranoid.

In either case, it's just a little bit sad...

JennyS

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My father LOVES finding people from Ohio

On the internet, or in day to day real life?

It's hard to explain, but they have different 'feels' to them. There are things I feel comfortable talking about in real life but not on the internet, and vice-versa.

There's a level of anonymity that exists on the internet that's not there in real life, and that just changes things. In some ways for the better, and in other ways for the worse.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
but it's a huge one on the gaming/nerdy forums I'm popular on.

oh god. I've never seen anything more pathetic than the spontaneous ejaculating frenzy that would erupt every time my ex-girlfriend Jenni (huge dork) would sign in and enter the Transformers chat rooms she used to frequent when we were still together. Aside from Jenni, there were of course no other females anywhere near the chat room, and every loser in there was tripping over themselves trying to flirt with her. The rank desperation in the air was so thick you'd need a +10 virginsbane sword to cut through it.

I commend your bravery.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OMG! That is so true! The 0 post PM guy who tells me he wants to 'fuk me' makes me think stalker. Especially if he says he likes picture #42 in my gallery. I don't memorize them! It's a little creepy that they counted the pics to tell me that.
Oh I've told guys that I like picture # whatever just so they know the picture to which I am referring...I didn't count pictures or memorize.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
On the internet, or in day to day real life?

It's hard to explain, but they have different 'feels' to them. There are things I feel comfortable talking about in real life but not on the internet, and vice-versa.

There's a level of anonymity that exists on the internet that's not there in real life, and that just changes things. In some ways for the better, and in other ways for the worse.

Well my father isn't very computer savvy, so mostly in person, though when he meets people online he does react about the same way.

I know plenty of people who feel the same way that you do. It's not at all unusual. I still think it's a little bit sad. In all likelihood, none of these people have any interest at all in stalking you. They're trying to be friendly, and for whatever reason, most likely our media-saturated lives telling us that we should live in fear of everybody, you label their question as "creepy." /shrug/ Some would say better safe than sorry. I'd rather live dangerously and trust recklessly than be perfectly safe, sanitary and isolated at all times. I resist trends toward the latter.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
oh god. I've never seen anything more pathetic than the spontaneous ejaculating frenzy that would erupt every time my ex-girlfriend Jenni (huge dork) would sign in and enter the Transformers chat rooms she used to frequent when we were still together. Aside from Jenni, there were of course no other females anywhere near the chat room, and every loser in there was tripping over themselves trying to flirt with her.

So funny...because it's so true. I was/am part of a loose group of CS players who got together as a "clan" several years ago because we hated the attitudes of the "serious" clan players...one of the group is this lovely little gal with an effervescent personality and enormous...ah...talents (which were displayed in her spray). Everytime she'd join a game, the level of conversation in the server took a major turn to the pathetic.

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
oh god. I've never seen anything more pathetic than the spontaneous ejaculating frenzy that would erupt every time my ex-girlfriend Jenni (huge dork) would sign in and enter the Transformers chat rooms she used to frequent when we were still together. Aside from Jenni, there were of course no other females anywhere near the chat room, and every loser in there was tripping over themselves trying to flirt with her. The rank desperation in the air was so thick you'd need a +10 virginsbane sword to cut through it.

I commend your bravery.
Your use of adjectives in describing chat rooms dominated by teenage boys is positively delightful.

Sometimes it's so pathetic it's actually funny instead of, well, ...not-funny. :rolleyes:

I've noticed, though, that once in a blue moon you'll discover a very charismatic and genuinely charming teenage boy in a chat room. Of course, deep down inside you know they're just as pitiful as all the others in person, but it brings hope, however fleeting it may be.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't usually bother pm'ing anybody unless something they posted on the boards caught my eye, made me think, got me a-chuckling, etc. and usually when I start a conversation that way it actually goes somewhere, so I agree with the first point.

On the second... in my book this is just further commentary on the sad state of interpersonal interaction these days and how paranoid everybody is anymore. My father LOVES finding people from Ohio, particularly if they come from common areas. He grew up around Boardman and Youngstown, went to school later at Kent State. That's a huge part of his identity and a defining element of his life experience and if he finds out that you're from Ohio or Pennsylvania he'll immediately ask which part and then talk your ear off if its any place he's ever heard of. His generation doesn't have "stalkerish" in its vocabulary, nor a list of "creepy" things people do that would garner them such a label. Maybe community simply isn't as important as it used to be. Or maybe people really are just paranoid.

In either case, it's just a little bit sad...

I agree with you on both points, not only is it just sad, but people really are just paranoid. Maybe they should lay of that high potent THC.

lafever

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Answer: Volume.
*snip*
So I might "start off strong", because we're discussing some really interesting topic you raised in the first mail, but then I don't continue things not because I'm shying away or dislike you or anything, but just because I don't have the time to keep up with everyone like that.
I hope you at least tell them that you can't continue because you have other friends and a limited amount of time. People should understand that. If you don't respond at all, the person doesn't know if you just didn't have time, or forgot about you, or didn't see the last PM. They may wonder if you hate them or something and wonder if they should write back at all in the future.

(I understand not responding to PM like "wanna fuk", though.)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hope you at least tell them that you can't continue because you have other friends and a limited amount of time. People should understand that. If you don't respond at all, the person doesn't know if you just didn't have time, or forgot about you, or didn't see the last PM. They may wonder if you hate them or something and wonder if they should write back at all in the future.

These people shouldn't be so sensitive. I don't like being ignored myself but I don't expect replies from every random person I just started talking to on the internet.