dose a prostate exam hurt? what do they do?

ddenham: Dose a prostate exam hurt? how far do they go up? dose it hurt? do they a stick up there?? I NEED HELP

gigantikok: I know most people don't post in the section of the site much, but I am curious to hear answers to this one. Anyone been through a prostate exam?

Cityboy: No it doesn't hurt. It only takes about 15 seconds. The doctor feels the prostate by putting a finger into your asshole. Since it is only a finger it can't go in very far, right? He will put on a latex glove and lube it up with KY. He'll have you bend over slightly against the examining table, take deep breath, and then do the deed. Any discomfort is very brief. Getting over the psycological discomfort of having a finger stuck up your butt is the hard part. Just remember it is a medical examination and is necessary. It is no big deal and it's for your own good health. There are a lot worse things. He might (should) do a PSA test also. That is just a blood test.

dfox7.3x5: I've had many prostate exams. My doctor says my prostate is a "textbook example." I guess he means its rectangular and full of paper. :D There's a few seconds of pressure/slight pain, but then it's over. I think the worst part is the "gummy" feeling in your butt caused by the ointment they use to grease you up. This is certainly one of the most important medical tests a guy should have, especially as you get on in years.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Yep - I have mine done every April around my birthdate so I'll remember it.

My dr. has me lie on my side with my knees pulled up to my chest so he has easier access to the anus.  He uses the occasion to take a stool sample for bacterial testing, too. It's never been painful and I got over the embarrassment years ago.

Pecker

(A mouse trap placed on top of your alarm clock will keep you from rolling over in your sleep to turn it off.)

47boreas: Do not care, Ddenham! You can be calm. Cityboy answered very well. Doctor has done prostate  examination to me several times.  At your first time it can hurt slightly. I hope that your prostate is OK. There are some more difficult examinations but I am sure that your doctor is examining your prostate only by his finger like Cityboy told it.

Last winter my PSA value was too high and that is why I had to go to the hospital. The urologist was viewing with speculum my bladder and prostate through the urethra. It hurts a little bit more than usual prostate examination. But it is not the worst.  Last spring my PSA value was still too high and my doctor decided to take a sample excision.  At first the nurse put anesthetizing gel into my urethra. Then the doctor began to push the speculum into my urethra and bladder. As there is a curve in the urethra in the base of penis, it is not easy to get the speculum through the urethra into bladder. So my penis became ERECT. Doctor said: "Penis became erect. The speculum does not reach into the bladder! What to do?" (Of course not, because I am hung and the erection was perfect.) We began to talk and soon my penis became limp. So it was possible to take a sample excision. Later I got the results and my urethra and prostate were healthy. It was very hard to expect the results several weeks as the cancer was a possible alternative.  I have prostatomegaly and I have to take pills.

My cock is not huge, "only" very big. The guys with huge cock may have special experiences when they grow older...

Boreas  8)

buddy43610: never, never never be embarrassed :-[ by any exam your doctor suggests. he has done it many times and like most things that are done repetitively, it is no big deal after a while. i've had many done and it is over with very quickly. there has never been any pain for me, only slight discomfort, :-/ but no big deal. he even cleans the lube off with one wipe. i have mine checked every january around my birthday at my annual physical. i also suggest an annual physical for all men 18 and over. do not be intimidated by your doctor ???, if you are, change doctors. i have been fortunate enough to have had the same doctor from the time i was 14 until he retired a couple of years ago when i was 45. i really like my new doctor too and will stay with him. sorry to ramble, but do get an annual prostate exam at your annual physical! buddy

ORCABOMBER: Great responses guys, I think they could come in handy! ;)