Double Edged Pill...

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by FreshOnTheScene, Dec 6, 2006.

1. FreshOnTheScene

FreshOnTheScene New Member

I've been on an anti-depressant for about 2 years now and I have just come to notice I cannot get an erection... blood will flow to my penis, but I will not get hard. I've spoke to my doctor and it is because of the pills. I am bringing this subject up now because my current girlfriend and I were trying to have sex, but I could not get an erection. The pills have helped my depression and made me feel better but at the price of my erection. So where's the pill to help that? I'm not acutally looking for a pill, just more a shot at humor despite the subject. Honestly, I feel emasculated by the fact that I cannot get an erection and am still a virgin because of it.

If anyone has/had a similiar experince and what was done to help the situation I would really really appreciate it...
    :1zhelp:

2. cantonesejim

cantonesejim New Member

Albums:
    I've never had a problem with erections, i've been on 3 different antipressants all affecting different neurotransmitters, over the last 6 years, and i've always found that when i stop taking them and such that my libido and "erectability" decrease than when i was on them. In fact the only drug i've ever taken that's affected erections is Dextromethorphan.

3. snoozan

Gold Member

Sexual dysfuction is common with antidepressants for both men and women, especailly SSRIs. The best thing to do is talk to your doctor about it and see if she/he has a recommendation for you. There are a lot of options that don't necessitate going off of your meds since they are working for you.

When I was on Celexa I couldn't have an orgasm to save my life. My sexual function did return slowly (over a period of months) while I was on it, but I didn't feel like myself sexually until I was completely off of it. I am now on another medication which does not interfere with my sexual response at all.

Talk to your doctor about this thoroughly. There may be a psychological component as well, or even a physical one.

4. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Welbutirn (Buproprion) may be a better choice. It has been shown to actually improve sexual function in non-depressed men.

5. OKFarmer

OKFarmer Member

As Dave stated Bupropion is a good choice. Venlafaxine (Effexor) also has a better profile as far as sexual function goes.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Talk to your Doctor,
    I'm taking Lexapro for Anxiety, only had sexual dysfunction for about 3 days!

7. FreshOnTheScene

FreshOnTheScene New Member

Thank you to everyone for your advice, I will speak with my doctor. I really do appreciate your words, for it makes a difficult situation easier to deal with.

8. jordanj

jordanj New Member

Albums:
    I was taking a short course of prozac earlier this year and couldn't even masturbate properly whilst taking them and I was on the lowest dose (20mg a day). Thankfully, since coming off of them my libido has returned fully but it was very frustrating. I asked my GP if he could give me anything for it and he said "Have patience, it'll be ok soon enough." Not the answer I was looking for. I hope you manage to find the right anti-depressant that works for you.

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You're taking it on the wrong side. Flip it over before you take it and everything will be okay.

10. Vestigial

Gold Member

Once I got off my pills I went from requiring ~3 hours to reach orgasm,... to ~18 hours.

Man made drugs aren't my style, i'll shoot up on life instead. ;)

11. siebie

siebie New Member

You may also want to ask about Reboxetine - it is newer than the SSRI's, and shouldnt have an effect on sexual function. (I am a medical doc). Let us know how you get on.
    sean

12. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:
    Have taken Prozac on and off for years. When I take the 20mg pill every day, erection is no problem but there is no possibility of orgasm at all. I could beat it for days and still not get off.

However, I've found that taking a pill every OTHER day allows me to have a more or less normal sex life, while still achieving the anti-depressant effect (it also lessens other unfortunate side effects).

I spoke with my Doctor about it and he was of the mind that, if it works, it works...

13. Vestigial

Gold Member

The battle is in the mind and stuff too. That's how I got 18 hours to just a few, and am paying since the orgasms make it even harder to break away.

14. bud_do

bud_do New Member

Albums:
    Welbutirn definitely gets my vote. Enhances sexual function.

Draft saved Draft deleted