Down Low

Omegaman

Sexy Member
Media
<

Guys, just care to informed...check link what you think...

http://media.putfile.com/reellow/320

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that "Down Low" will be an intense movie. I don&#39;t think that it will be playing in major theaters though. Maybe in art house cinemas, independent movie theaters and colleges. From the trailer, I think that it will be a great film to watch. I am interested about this movie though. I would like to know more about it.
Invisibleman
<
<

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mattness &#064; Nov 3 2005, 11&#58;59 AM) [post=357943]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here&#39;s the Director&#39;s Official Website telling all about the movie "Invisible"...looks GREAT&#33; Those guys are hot&#33; Hehe

http://www.billduke.com/Invisible/invisible.html
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the information. This seems like a pretty deep film. Invisibleman.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Omegaman &#064; Nov 3 2005, 09&#58;12 AM) [post=357849]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
<

Guys, just care to informed...check link what you think...

http://media.putfile.com/reellow/320
[/b][/quote]

Hopefully, it will be explained that while the term "DL" may be African-American/Black in origin, the lifestyle and or behavior it describes in not necessarily unique to the African-American/Black community. The last elected governor in my grand state of New Jersey is a perfect illustration of this fact. Former Governor James McGreevy was twice married with children while he creeped with men on the DL. Of course, he outed himself and resigned office to live his "T", or truth, but this was only after Golan Cipel (his alleged lover) had threatned to sue him for sexual harrassment.

I still look forward to the film, and hope maybe E. Lynn Harris will serve as an consultant.

CL

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well, I&#39;m a bit torn based on the trailer. This could go either way. On the one hand, it&#39;s an important message to help people understand this situation and to educate men (and women) to the risks involved in the behavior. I&#39;d like to think that it would be an indictment of the cultural intolerance that leads to this kind of hidden practice, that forces homosexuality/bisexuality underground.

I worry, though, that the message communicated (based on the "test results came back" quote) will instead be that all gay men have HIV and are to be avoided. Thin line to tread here. Could help but could also do some damage. I hope the filmmakers are up for the challenge.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well,

I think people are going to see this through their own individual set of filters and there is no helping that .But it is important ,whatever side of this issue one falls to be informed. Not as a stick to crack over the heads of men who feel as if this is their only recourse but also for the women who are also wittingly and unwittingly complicit in the act. This is not a time to throw stones, but to try to come to some workable compromises in an increasingly distressing situation.

naughty

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; Nov 5 2005, 08&#58;56 AM) [post=358378]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, I&#39;m a bit torn based on the trailer. This could go either way. On the one hand, it&#39;s an important message to help people understand this situation and to educate men (and women) to the risks involved in the behavior. I&#39;d like to think that it would be an indictment of the cultural intolerance that leads to this kind of hidden practice, that forces homosexuality/bisexuality underground.

I worry, though, that the message communicated (based on the "test results came back" quote) will instead be that all gay men have HIV and are to be avoided. Thin line to tread here. Could help but could also do some damage. I hope the filmmakers are up for the challenge.
[/b][/quote]
That&#39;s true. More stigma. More prejudice. More fear. More ignorance. There are alot of issues that could be discussed from this movie. Why are men and women pressured to get married heterosexually? Why do people think that when you get married that that person you marry will be always faithful? Ownership breeds contempt. The fantasies and the realities don&#39;t seem to match. There are degrees of selfishness by both parties. But they are both equally valid. There can be times when marriage was good and then divorce is better when it happens. People can and do grow apart. Why are marriages given so much power in the first place? Why aren&#39;t the bad outcomes and contingencies discussed before people actually get married? Maybe, make it harder for people to get married and easier to get divorced. People don&#39;t appreciate things when they&#39;re so easy to come by. Invisibleman
<

Wave

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Yeah, this may put out some negative vibes about gay guys having HIV and things like that, but considering that HIV infection is actually going up right now among young people, making folks aware that even one casual sexual contact can lead to a life-long disease may be a good message to get around.

and the DownLow phenomenon does continue within the Black community....

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
I'm sure the film will cover the cultural/historical factors influencing Black's/African-American to practice Homosexuality on the "DL". I'm not completly certain the film can cover those factors beyond a superfical level, since the film will need to have a broader appeal and the general public might be more interested in viewing a straight forward film about BI-Sexual Infidelity.

Entertainment can be Educational, but can one film be expected to seriously discuss even some of the factors e.g. the importance of the Church in the Black Family, the impact of Slavery, Sharecropping, and Black Migration on gender roles, Incarceration and the perception of Sexual Identity.

The literature on the subject is rich, and encompasses authors From James Baldwin to Bayard Rustin- hopefully those interested will see this and clamor for more coverage on the topic.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
human18 said:
very informative... i did not know such men exists...

Not only do these men exist, but I was extremely delighted to see Oprah feature a whole show of White Guys living on the DL. The Down Low phenomenom does not respect Racial division, or Class distinctions. It would seem that all communities have Married Men participating in the Bi-Sexual/Closted Gay life of the DL.

I'm sure there are othe Married Guys in this forum, who might engage in Swinging like me, but who secretly get off on other men. So sad, you can only be open about some shit, and not the other.

Everyone in this thread comes across as an apologist for deception and increased risk of exposure to HIV for Black Women. Actually I don't care if you are a White Woman or Black Woman, you should be upset that your Husband is having an extramarital affair with Men whom probably are more promiscuious than the average pay girlfriend.