downloading crap

What problems has anyone else had with their computers?

• Programs that weren't allowed access suddenly allowed access anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internet connection lost

• Too much email causes interference with computer

• Total voters

avalonlovelove

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does anyone else have McAfee?I do and it sucks.This shit downloads stuff to my computer without my permission and makes the computer run slow.Has anyone else ever had this problem with virus protection or other programs on your computer.My computer is constantly downloading crap and it is destroying my computer.It sucks that even when you don't allow access to a program on your computer it is still allowed access anyway!I have spamkiller on Mcafee too and i have heard that it has caused computers to crash.My question is:Is that true or not?If so I think I'm screwed.:confused: :eek: :mad:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
AVG is good. Maybe the Free one, if they still do that. I have the Pro version.

BTW, Antivirus programs are supposed to download updates periodically. Generally they ask you but maybe you have it set to automatically update. I wouldn't worry about it. McAfee is better than Norton at least. Fuck Norton :tongue:

For speeding your computer up (assuming you have more than 64MB RAM and a processor faster than 400MHz):

Click Start > Run
Type in msconfig > Click OK
Click the startup tab
Uncheck everything except McAfee and any other of your 'security'/protection programs

Also you can download HijackThis (google it).
Do a scan and delete everything it finds.

But mainly check your startup programs. If you have a lot of things loading at startup that will slow you down a lot.

feather69

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All good suggestions, and I have used AVG but not AVAST. What I am using is the pay version of BitDefender, a European program. I set it to "agressive" protection and filter everything including IM, email, the browser, downloads and even outgoing email and uploads, just in case some infiltration crap is trying to send out stuff from my computer.

After trying many anti-virus/spam/et al programs it seems to me that the European software is better. BitDefender automatically updates itself on the hour!

Yes, it has blocked many attempts to hack into the box.

Also I use LookNStop firewall. Incredible safety and goes way beyond the XP firewall. Then I use a LAN router which has it's own firewall. So the computer here is really in the stealth mode, more or less invisible to hackers.

Some of these products or ideas may be of use to you.

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have McAfee, and it doen't cause any trouble. The only craps are the windows updates which crashes my computer.