Dr. Laura quitting

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Please...she was and is a glorified physical education major who, along with every other single person on radio has followed, or tried to emulate in their own way, the template of Howard Stern. It hasn't worked for her or anyone else.

Well, she's no Howard, but she made millions.
And she did have the second-ranked radio show for a time.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I've never heard of her.

She was at the peak of her fame years ago when you were probably just entering middle school so it's understandable that you've never heard of her. I myself hadn't thought or heard about her in at least four years before this incident.

I always hated her, so I'm glad to see her go out exposed as the horrible person she is.

And as someone else has already pointed out, she's been exposed as having a past inconsistent with the values she espouses now..

Attachments

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
And as someone else has already pointed out, she's been exposed as having a past inconsistent with the values she espouses now..

I'm no fan of hers, but this past doesn't bother me at all.
You could say she has evolved, if you thought there was anything wrong with those pics from her past.
I just don't like where she's evolved to.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That piece of white trash is still walking the earth? Goddamnit... I thought she was shoved in the hole that was dug for Fred Phelps.

I'm in the middle - Anybody that breeds hate like this woman did doesn't deserve credit nor air time.

I'm curious to know if any of her fans had any idea that Dr. Laura wasn't even a certified doctor. Show of hands, please?

Kinda like Dr. Phil? Or did Opre buy him one of those online dealios to save face?

Last edited:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She told Larry King that she's quiting in order to exercise her 1st Amendment rights. Apparently she feels restrained of not being able to speak her mind freely because she might offend people as a radio personality. oy.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'm curious to know if any of her fans had any idea that Dr. Laura wasn't even a certified doctor. Show of hands, please?
Kinda like Dr. Phil? Or did Opra buy him one of those online dealios to save face?
He has a PhD in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas.
Appropriate for a psychologist, no?

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
She was at the peak of her fame years ago when you were probably just entering middle school so it's understandable that you've never heard of her. I myself hadn't thought or heard about her in at least four years before this incident.

I always hated her, so I'm glad to see her go out exposed as the horrible person she is.

I don't see a problem with that. It's called growth.
Who she was when she was in her 20's is certainly
not the same person who she is today. And the fact that
she did not expose her past is not unreasonable, not if she thought
it would ever become exposed. But it did and she had to deal with it.)
I have not heard
her program in quite sometime. I don't see her as horrible.
Most people who call her already know the type of advise.
It's not that I don't understand why some people don't like
her program, it's the strong personal attacks that leave me puzzeled.
But then I guess that shows us just how powerful the media is.

she dispences. People give her way to much power and I think
her main message is that people are way too sensitive and they
need to toughen up. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmm...Dr Laura...

In 1998 I bought my first car because my job demanded that I go to places not accessible to Boston's public transit; I found broadcast music radio formulaic in the extreme and, at that time, hadn't yet installed a CD player. So I cruised the AM dial (NPR really is as dull as unbuttered dry toast on a weekday afternoon) and "discovered" the shock and awe of her program.

To say that she was a strident reactionary is like equating a bee sting with a snake bite; her views on everything were fed through a very narrow funnel of her own version of morality where everything is black and white and completely cut and dried. It was actually fascinating to hear a viewpoint so completely the polar opposite of my own repeated with such complete and monotonous regularity.

I'll also gladly admit to a certain sadism that went 50 leagues deeper than schadenfreude in listening to how she chose to speak with her callers: curt, rude, condescending, dismissive. She cut so many people off before they had a chance to really tell their stories that any grasp of the specifics of the issue at hand was tenuous at best. But what did it really matter, because, much like Name That Tune, she could summarize the caller's problem in three to five notes, and then funnel the particularities into one of her simplistic answers to everything.

What I didn't really understand though, was who these callers really were: if they were regular listeners, they'd be well aware that, in almost robotic fashion, she'd slice-and-dice their reasoning (and generally the lack thereof) to ribbons live, from coat to coast. I presumed that there was a scripted quality to her show (much like later "reality" TV), as I could not believe that so many people would have such a masochistic zeal to undergo Dr Laura at her worst (or best, depending on your POV, I guess). She maintained a steady flow of victims for many many years.

Her views on "tough love" horrified me profoundly, going far beyond the paradoxcal combo of "Do as I say, not as I do/While in my house, you play by my rules or leave" that constitutes way too much of the parenting skills in far too many homes. She advocated Zero Tolerance be applied to kids who were entirely dependent on their parents, and I'm not just talking about random sweeps of adolescent bedrooms or the removal of bedroom doors. What she seems to have forgotten was that she'd never have had the "strength" of "reason" and purpose without first having made an assortment of myriad youthful mistakes and errors in judgement. It's a privilege of one's teens and, to a reasonable degree, a parental responsibility to see that such things occur with consequences.

Micromanaging teenagers does not keep them on the straight-and-narrow, it turns them into neurotic messes and perpetuates precisely the sort of post-adolescent dependence and reliance that, at other times, she found equally distasteful. I felt profound pity for her son, Deryk, who was held up as a kind of paragon of virtue (which I found doubtful even as I was hearing it) instead of giving him the privacy (and the ability to live as just another regular kid) he deserved. Using one's children (especially teens) as props to "prove" one's politics as sound is a loathsome and despicable act of exploitation and abuse.

There were times, though rarely, when she she made some sense; that is to say that occasionally we'd agree :redface:. She decried the materialism of otherwise affluent couples who put money and the acquisition of material possessions ahead of rearing a family by reminding listeners that kids need someone at home every day when they return from school; we were in agreement in deploring "latchkey" kids, though she was unwilling to be pragmatic enough to understand that this needn't necessarily be one of the birth parents. Likewise, her stance on abortion was/is at odds with her insistence that people (couples) who cannot afford children do everyone a disservice in having them.

There was another time when a caller expressed concern about her gay brother-in-law taking a paternal interest in her tween son, which sent Dr Laura into a five-minute diatribe about homosexuality not being "contagious" and calling out the suddenly-disoriented caller as bigoted. She cited the many gay friends whom she trusted implicitly with Deryk, both in group settings and in private outings (to ballgames, theater, etc). I distinctly recall sitting in my car waiting for the call to end before getting out to keep an appointment with a client. She genuinely impressed me: but that was either in '98 or '99. As everyone knows, she reversed herself on this important issue and as a result lost tens of thousands (at the barest minimum) of socially moderate listeners as well as several sponsors and ultimately, her TV show.

It should come as no surprise that she has a staunch ally in Mrs Palin, as both of them seem to not understand that the First Amendment does not constitute freedom from criticism and dissent: in fact, the First Amendment guarantees everyone the right to voice criticism and dissent :rolleyes:. I have the funny feeling that, among the Palinistas, Dr Laura will remain as celebrated for her martyrdom, to the same degree that she is infamous and reviled among LGBTs, their families and friends, though for the vast majority, this whole thing will completely blow over and be as quickly forgotten as her "biological error" comment was in 2000.

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've listened to her on occasion and half been both amused and horrified... I think it is definitely time for her to move on...

D_y6gouyg

Just Browsing
Media
I don't like Dr. Laura, but the people who are criticizing her Ph.D have no idea what they're talking about. Physiology is NOT the same thing physical education, and she went to Columbia for it no less.

Her thesis was titled "Effects of Insulin on 3-0-Methylglucose Transport in Isolated Rat Adipocytes." A lot of cell and molecular biology would be involved.

B_Mister Buildington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think it would be funny if when she went on Larry King, he quoted her and got fired for saying "nigger nigger nigger" and it just turned into a huge chain reaction of celebrities quoting "nigger" and getting fired.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Look at the troll type the n-word in a lame attempt to get people pissed off. YAWN! :rolleyes:

But I digress... Dr. Laura isn't even a doctor anyhow so why anyone would listen to the bitch is beyond me. Oh, and to all those who claim there's some evil double standard regarding that word, here's one thing to consider... CONTEXT. But to add to that, it's about everyday consideration for the people around you. When you're around your friends you can be a little loose with the lips. You earn that right to be a little raw with your diction because you have won over the trust and friendship of those individuals. If you're surrounded by strangers, then common sense should tell you to watch what you say. If people can't grasp this, then they're stupid.

But perhaps this video showing two of the greatest comedians of all time can spell it out for you?

In closing... I most certainly will not miss Dr. Laura Schlessinnnnnnnnnnnger.
And yes, that was joke so you can laugh at it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vibrator

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Her comments were silly and an attempt to get attention like all radio host. I'm not surprised shes leaving but she will turn up somewhere else, there are many people that agree with her and that will pay to listen to her.