Drag Queens - Why?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Rikter8, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm trying to understand what drives men to cross dress who don't identify as transgender.

For those of you that do Drag, why do you do it?
    Is it for Sexual kicks? Just for fun? Money? Identity comfort?

Do you feel of those men who do cross dress but claim it is only for "Work" purposes are actually doing the job because they enjoy it?

I had a situation with a "Friend" recently, and am trying to get a better understanding of the ordeal.

2. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Drag and transgenderism and cross dressing are all different things, I'm sure their are individuals for whom there is cross over, but most of the Drag artists I know are professional performers, like cabaret or theatrical performers.

They do their shows because they enjoy them and make good money at it. It's a fun life, and can be very rewarding, especially if you have an offbeat sensibility, a sharp sense of humour and a bit of a clown in you.

3. D_Goethe_Garbo

D_Goethe_Garbo Account Disabled

I'm a crossdresser and I'm proud of it! I love the way womens clothes feel when i put them on and how i feel while wearing them. To look in the mirror and see a totally different person is mind blowing at times. Maybe im running from some deep seeded childhood memory thats been recessed for too many years to mention, but i am enjoying every moment of it in heels.

4. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

I'm jealous of you guys. You can withstand the pain of high heel shoes better than I can. You can put on makeup better than I can.

5. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Women's clothing so much fun; if I were a dude, I think I would still wear it. Of course, that is ridiculous, unqualified speculation, all things considered, but I still think so. I find make-up so calming and soothing to apply. Sometimes I put on more types of products just to stretch the process out. I love wigs and extensions too. Don't get me started on heels. Anything lower 5" with ample toe cleavage makes me really happy.

Over the years, I have convinced lots of guys to let me put my clothes on them just for fun. One of them liked it enough to keep doing it. I let him keep some of my skirts for himself because he filled them out better. (I have no hips, and a flat ass.) He let me put make-up on him too, but he looked awful. A wig made it worse! He sticks to stockings and skirts, mostly, with the occasional blouse. He has lingerie too. He said it made him feel sexy because he felt small, dainty, and delicate. In reality he is gigantic and rugged.

6. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. Pecker Check

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ordeal? Does your choice of words belie your ... how to put it ... closed-mindedness?

8. dolfette

Gold Member

i was thinking much the same.

these guys dress up, have fun, get a bit of attention, sometimes even get paid a decent wage for it.

and some people prefer to go fishing or play bingo.

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Puttin on a dress and wig can be just good ole plain fun.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

11. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks JJ - sorry that I didn't see it...i'm usually good with that stuff.

Agreed

I had a guy that claimed he only did drag for "work purposes" tell me that I was a sad sorry case that I wouldn't accept him for doing drag "Just for a job". But...his facebook page tells a different story... it appears to be more of a fetish for him than a "Job" - and that is his only job.

It seems to me, if this is only for a job and he put it out there as if he was not proud of it - why have it plastered all over a social networking site representing who you are? Seems like a mixed up situation, so I declined to meet and the drag queen claws came out. WTF?

12. D_Tim McGnaw

OK you do realise that FB no longer really operates like it used to and many people use it as a way of advertising themselves for professional purposes don't you?

The days when FB was all about expressing who you really are are long gone. It's about having an online presence where you can network for a variety of practical purposes, notably for professional purposes.

it's more like Linkedin than anything else these days for many people.

Edit: and seriously what is your deal with this weirdly judgemental and condescending attitude towards a whole bunch of people who make their livings as Drag performers?

firstly you base your thesis on what sounds like entirely superficial knowledge of these people, you also seem not to know the difference between Drag, Transgender and Transvestism.

I find the whole tone of your OP and other opinions in this thread ill-founded and offensive, offensive because despite lacking any firsthand knowledge you seem to have come to some fairly peculiar conclusions about people you admit to knowing little or nothing about.

I've known many perfectly happy and stable Drag performers, some are current very good friends of mine and your insinuations about what motivates them to perform and provide entertainment for countless people are rather unsettling.

I think you need to reset your whole mindset on this and perhaps stop looking for prurient explanations and confirmations of your prejudices.

#12 D_Tim McGnaw, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  13. dolfette

Gold Member

performers always use their fb as part of their PR.
    i'm guessing that a page selling his image as, say, a folk singer wouldn't have caused any issues.

14. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can understand that...but this was different. My point was that he claimed he didn't like to do it, and he only does it for revenue, but when you look at his personal page...its not for sales purposes, but more entertainment fetish style activities. In short "I don't like it" but he sure looks pretty happy in the photos with friends.
    It's the "two faces have I" that bothered me the most. Then when I called him on it, the true person lashed out.
    The point of the thread was to get opinions on why people do drag, and their feel for this situation.

Hilare - .... I was going to reply, but watching you spout off your complete assumptions about me and this thread isn't worth the time or the server space.

15. dolfette

Gold Member

that was one person.

you just arseholes and two faced gits in every profession under the sun! drag queens are individuals.

also, his fb page? that's show biz!!
    he gets paid for an image. people are buying that image.
    looking like you love it, playing to the fetish scene?
    that's called marketing.

and hil is right about the tone that comes across in this thread, whether it was intentional or not.

16. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    because they can and they enjoy it and bring out a firceness that is inspiring....and if weren't for drag queens, the Stonewall Riots wouldn't have been....and cheers to all the drag kings as well.

17. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Drag is something that has never been on my "like" list personally. I would guess that a male with a fur covered great body in full leather revealing enough to be fun in and of itself is also a form of drag.

I think that my largest problem over it has been that so many who choose this as something they like to do tend by personality to be kind of "in your face" with it. Some years ago I watched a fellow I knew in his male version do a drag act on stage. I must admit that he lip synched Diana Ross and did a job of it that was beyond incredible. His alter ego as an entertainer was outstanding in every respect. It was great entertainment in every sense of the word. At the same time I have seen some very negative things done to the gay community by others when drag has been used against us by anti-gay forces. They tend to photograph and single out the "in your face" individuals deliberately and then use these men against all of us. I don't have a solution in any manner, but, maybe someone younger than I can come up with one. As a gay man there is a contradiction in our lives. What is the use of getting rights if we can't use them. I do think that as a community we need to try somehow to find a medium where we can as we transition this society into acceptance try and portray ourselves more accurately. Drag is a part of the lives of some gay people just like playing golf, tennis, swimming or any other activity. Not all of us do it, not all of us like it, and yet, we have to defend the right of our fellow gay brothers. I tolerate drag these days, but I am just not into it.

18. D_Tim McGnaw

OMG, why does everything have to be a psycho-politico-sexual drama? And why does everything have to revert to this grim discussion of hetero-normativity and social acceptance/Gay rights?

Drag is just another form of entertainment, like going to see a standup, or a magician, or a singer songwriter or mime, or blinking Kabuki for goodness sakes. There doesn't have to be some deeper meaning, some underlying social consequence or some political implications.

If you don't like Drag no one's asking you to tolerate it, just like no one would ask you to tolerate Mime or Magicians.

All this inquiry as to the psychological or social ramifications of Drag is kinda bizarre, are we asking the same of Acting? Ballet Dancing? Jazz bands? Puppeteers?

Draft saved Draft deleted