Dreams or Stability: A crossroad

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lopo2000, Apr 1, 2010.

1. lopo2000

Gold Member

This might be a long post...

I am on a crossroad now. I have to choose between an uncertain dream or a certain requirement. Since I did my bachelor, I have been dreaming to do Forensic Psychology, but it's not available in my country, so I was planning to do it abroad. When I graduated, I applied for this one scholarship to do masters, and I was accepted, on a condition that I could secure a seat for graduate prog in 4 months. It's great, at least I could do a masters program, but the scholarship provider didn't allow me to go abroad, which means my dream to do Forensic Psychology was gone. If I'm to receive the scholarship, it's for a masters program in Social Work, which is not my interest at all. However, still, another good thing about this scholarship is that I'd have a job after finishing my masters, because I'll be a lecturer, which is good.

And I accepted it, I thought this kind of opportunity only comes once. Until lately, I heard a news that I could apply for a scholarship, another one, by Turkish government where I could further my masters at Turkey. When I searched for Forensic Psychology prog, Turkey has one! So, I was happy and thought of applying for the scholarship, especially when the scholarship provider said that my CGPA is good and I am very likely to be accepted as one of the recipients. Until yesterday I found out that the amount I will be receiving for the scholarship is little that it will hardly cover my meal for the month. I will only receive 220 Turkish Lira and it won't be enough. Especially after graduation there'll be no job secure for me. So, I really have to think twice about applying this, but when I think again, it's my dream. It's Forensic Psychology, and it's finally there, waiting for me to apply.

So, whether I apply for Turkey with a lot of uncertainties; finance-wise, job-wise, life-wise but Forensic Psychology, or continue for the former scholarship; finance ok, job ok, life in Malaysia, but Social Work and no change is allowed...

If you were in my position, what would you do? Will you fight for your dream? Or will you settle with the stable one? I always believe in fighting for your dream but this one is too risky to be fought for...

Thank you for your kind replies. :)

2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    playing it safe is cool but a life in social work is for the birds (esp if you want to be a forensic psychologist); you'll be bored to death. Live man, live.

3. lopo2000

Gold Member

Man, I wish it's as easy as that. But how do I figure out on the parts that might screw me up in the life at Turkey. I sound very negative here, I know. But I think my negativity is warranted right?

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

this is indeed a crossroad. best I can recommend is that you keep your decision(s) based in reality. e.g.: if you won't receive money enough to live (food, housing, etc.), that's not reality. change your options to see if there are other possibilities. there are probably options available which you don't know about. have you talked to someone already working in this profession? what suggestions could/have they make.

there's nothing wrong with having a dream. but you have to make it happen.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I say go for you dream you only have one life. But I agree with what he said ^! You will always have a crossroad as you meander through life, you have to be realistic if you want dreams to become a reality. Everyone has dreams but few people have done what is necessary to make them come true rather than wish. Dreams take work and perseverance.

6. D_Harvey Schmeckel

D_Harvey Schmeckel New Member

What are the language issues here? The ease or difficulty on that score would be a huge factor in any decision I'd make. That is, I'd go to any French or Spanish speaking country in your situation, but acquiring fluency in a difficult language spoken in only one country-- major disincentive.

7. lopo2000

Gold Member

I will be going to Turkey in April, maybe I can see if I'm a good fit over there right? Yes, thanks for your advice!

I was just thinking, this might be a new beginning. Whether or not I choose the right beginning is not known. You're right, I have to persevere.

Um, the instructions can be in Turkish, but then I am not sure, and they will provide language classes. Hope it's easy for me to catch up, well then, if I decide to apply for this.

Thank you guys for your advices and tips. I really appreciate it...

8. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, if you fall in love with Turkey, that will help you make the choice! There are ways to survive with part time unofficial work while you study. I hope you can learn enough Turkish.

But even if you find out that Turkey is too strange, it is possible to continue in Malaysia on the other path until you have your job. Then you can put aside savings for your dream of forensics.

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

^^What he said. Insufficient finances and no job mean you cannot study abroad presently. In comparison you landed a reasonable scholarship, a course of study and future job security in Malaysia.
    N.B. I assumed "no change allowed" applied to your course of study. Taking the sure option will reap a second degree, a job and financial stability for you. Once you are equipped with qualifications, savings and job experience you may choose another line of work if social work is not to your liking.

10. lopo2000

Gold Member

Ok, so if I want to achieve my dreams I have to be able to get everything planned out. Finance, job, and all. Thank you guys...Will really think about it... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted