Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Last week I drank after my friend (via straw if it matters) and a couple days after he found out by a doc that he has oral herpes, and as of like 4 days ago my throat has been red and bothering me, night like sore but kinda tendered and seems to be a lil tighter than normal..... could i have oral herpes? i don't have any sores that i can see and i've never had a cold sore before....cus that was like the first time i've ever drank after anyone.........:frown1:

D

deleted356166

You should see a doctor right away and possibly consider not having oral sex or any oral related activities.

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Does it matter how soon i go? cus i don't have the 200 bucks for a STD test now..ya thats how much its gonna cost me, i just went to planned parenthood and my local doctor and they both said it would be 200 bucks....

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
get tested bruddah! you might just have strep or something. but the only way for know fersure is for go get tested. if it comes back negative, go back in like, 2 weeks and get tested again.

honestly brah, you should be going every few months for get tested anyways (i'm assuming you're sexually active though)

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've had oral, giving and receiving, with condoms once and I've only kiss one person...so i dunno if that is considered active or not....because both have been about 2 months for the oral and almost a year since my kiss...

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's possible that you could get it, but probably not likely.

The blood test for herpes detects antibodies in the blood. The antibodies are not present for a few weeks after the initial infection and up to 3-4 months. The benefit of getting a blood test now and later would be to tell when you got it. If you are negative now, but positive in 4 months, then you can deduce that you just got infected.

They say 50% of people have type 1 oral by age 12. They get it from kissing there relatives when they are young or chewing on toys that other kids were chewing on, like at day care. So it's pretty hard to avoid everyone that is positive if you actively date and kiss people.

Also if you are concerned, avoid touching your mouth, then touching your genitals or other body parts (eyes, etc.) because during an initial infection your body doesn't have antibodies and it's easier to spread it to other places. Once the antibodies build up, that is very unlikely.

You may want to check out this website and message board:
Herpes - Sort the Facts from the Fiction
Herpes & Cold Sore Support Forum

D

deleted356736

I think 85% of adults have oral (type 1) herpes, most acquired in a non-sexual context. Agreed, the blood test is unreliable, with lots of false negatives. You should be living in Australia as our National Health covers pathology tests, so there is no out of pocket charge

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The blood test for herpes detects antibodies in the blood. The antibodies are not present for a few weeks after the initial infection and up to 3-4 months. The benefit of getting a blood test now and later would be to tell when you got it. If you are negative now, but positive in 4 months, then you can deduce that you just got infected.

They say 50% of people have type 1 oral by age 12. They get it from kissing there relatives when they are young or chewing on toys that other kids were chewing on, like at day care. So it's pretty hard to avoid everyone that is positive if you actively date and kiss people.

Also if you are concerned, avoid touching your mouth, then touching your genitals or other body parts (eyes, etc.) because during an initial infection your body doesn't have antibodies and it's easier to spread it to other places. Once the antibodies build up, that is very unlikely.

You may want to check out this website and message board:
Herpes - Sort the Facts from the Fiction
Herpes & Cold Sore Support Forum

Wow 3-4 didn't know that....and i dont have 400 bucks to get tested now and then later, i dont even have the 200 for now :frown1:

And i never went do daycare...and havent kiss or drank after anyone till this year...

O_O i didn't know it could be spread to the rest of the body......

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think 85% of adults have oral (type 1) herpes, most acquired in a non-sexual context. Agreed, the blood test is unreliable, with lots of false negatives. You should be living in Australia as our National Health covers pathology tests, so there is no out of pocket charge
The type specific IgG blood tests are not too unreliable. It's just that you have to wait long enough after the initial infection to get tested, until the antibodies build up. It is 95+% accurate.
O_O i didn't know it could be spread to the rest of the body......
Well it's more of a concern if you actually have an outbreak, like a cold sore or outbreak on the genitals. Then rubbing the outbreak and then other body parts is risky. But the virus prefers the oral and genital areas and the skin is thinner there and prone to get small cuts and scratches that the virus can get into. Herpes on the fingers is called herpes whitlow.

ajackinbuddy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
hey dude,
i wouldn't sweat it. It doesn't sound like you have an outbreak. if you did, you'd know. not to mention that the first is supposedly the worse, and most people don't have reoccurrence unless they're super-stressed.

Once when I was 14, i drank out of a soda can a friend offered, and then noticed he had a big fucking cold sore. i wiped my mouth for like 15 minutes in disgust with my shirt-- and ten years later, i've never, not even once, had an outbreak. So you might be just fine.

plus if he didn't have an outbreak, it is way less likely you got it.

and finally, it sounds more like you have strep. that doesn't sound like herpes at all.

I wouldn't sweat getting tested unless you see an outbreak. in the slightest chance you do have it, they don't have anything they can do for you. just don't have oral sex for a while and see how you feel.

breath easier dude! You're okay. and hot.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Herpes is extremely painful from what I've read. Still, if you have any suspicions, you should avoid kissing, oral sex, and sharing your saliva with others. The first outbreak of herpes is usually unnoticeable, and actually is generally mistaken for a flu.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes most adults have oral herpes, in the form of cold sores. My doctor doesn't even test me for herpes because he says even if you've had just one cold sore, you're going to test positive for herpes. He says it's not a big deal unless you start getting sores everywhere, which, in that case, you should probably go to the doc

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your docor's an asshole. It is ABSOLUTELY a big deal. most adults have oral herpes, yes, but not all. I don't for example. If we were friends, I'd hope you wouldn't unwittingly pass on herpes to me via a shared chapstick, beverage, kiss, etc. You don't have to be in an active outbreak to pass it on. Your body could simply be shedding it asymptomatically at the moment, and you could give it to the next person. Hepes is inconvenient, not to mention painful. Yeah. Your doctor should keep that bullshit to himself, and you should insist upon getting tested for it anyway if you're sexually active.

I remember how hard it was to convice doctors to test me for both herpes symplexes, and how my insurance didn't cover it and I had to pay cash. But I did it once a year when I was single (which was as frequently as I could afford). It seemed worth it to me. I disagree with doctors who say it isn't a big deal. They probably all have herpes.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your docor's an asshole. It is ABSOLUTELY a big deal. most adults have oral herpes, yes, but not all. I don't for example. If we were friends, I'd hope you wouldn't unwittingly pass on herpes to me via a shared chapstick, beverage, kiss, etc. You don't have to be in an active outbreak to pass it on. Your body could simply be shedding it asymptomatically at the moment, and you could give it to the next person. Hepes is inconvenient, not to mention painful. Yeah. Your doctor should keep that bullshit to himself, and you should insist upon getting tested for it anyway if you're sexually active.

I remember how hard it was to convice doctors to test me for both herpes symplexes, and how my insurance didn't cover it and I had to pay cash. But I did it once a year when I was single (which was as frequently as I could afford). It seemed worth it to me. I disagree with doctors who say it isn't a big deal. They probably all have herpes.

Well, good thing we aren't friends and good thing I've never had a sore of any kind. I agree though, I did find it rather strange that he said there was no need to be tested for it

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
should i worry or not? lol :worried:
Should you worry? No. It's unproductive. Should you be tested as soon as you can afford, and avoid putting others at potential risk until then? Yes!

Meanwhile, click on those links MercurialBliss gave you. You seem to be lacking in facts. Maybe a little knowledge will soothe you. If not, maybe it'll inspire you to action.