Driving License For Undocumented Immigrants In Ny

in favor, or against?

• Total voters

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
How can they get insurance? What auto insurer is going to take them?

I voted: "I don't care." But I will care if there's some new government program to provide auto insurance to people who can't get auto insurance because they're 'undocumented' and it either a) raises my taxes or b) raises my auto insurance rates.

Reactions: James0909

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I voted: "I don't care." But I will care if there's some new government program to provide auto insurance to people who can't get auto insurance because they're 'undocumented' and it either a) raises my taxes or b) raises my auto insurance rates.

Maryland has been doing this for years, and there is no problem at all for them to get insurance. None. A new driver is a new driver and rated the same. Get tickets, have accidents, rates go up. Undocumented immigrants tend to be good drivers to avoid traffic stops.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Actually if they are paying insurance premiums it might lower your rates. Your rates get raised if they have no insurance and then get in accidents with those who have insurance.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I would rather that illegal immigrants who are driving on the same roads as I am have received instruction and testing to get licensed than the opposite.

I've been in a car accident and the other driver was undocumented (and driving like an idiot... they put their truck into reverse at a red light and backed into me). Anything which reduces dumbass shit like that is a good thing :p

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

sudcalifornio

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We still need to solve the problem of undocumented immigrants.

But you know what? A driver's license is a document. So it's a start.
I assume this kind of a licence has the same things to makes it different from a documented person, like able to get into a federal building and ride a plane

If there is someone willing to pay money for a service, there has to be someone wanting to do it.

I would rather that illegal immigrants who are driving on the same roads as I am have received instruction and testing to get licensed than the opposite.

I've been in a car accident and the other driver was undocumented (and driving like an idiot... they put their truck into reverse at a red light and backed into me). Anything which reduces dumbass shit like that is a good thing :p

statistics on California, showed a reduced number of hits and run

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I assume this kind of a licence has the same things to makes it different from a documented person, like able to get into a federal building and ride a plane

If there is someone willing to pay money for a service, there has to be someone wanting to do it.

statistics on California, showed a reduced number of hits and run

In Maryland the license is for driving only. It will not get a person on a plane or any place where secure ID is required. Being a citizen is not a requirement for insurance - having a legal license is. A new driver applies to an insurance company just like a new driver who is a citizen does. The company uses the same tables - age, gender, credit scan, how much driving will the new driver do in a year - does he use the vehicle to commute long distances, etc. Age of vehicle and type factor in too. If the new driver cannot get insurance from a commercial carrier then he can buy insurance from the state. There is no subsidy at all for this, the rates are high, and any claims the state insurance company pays out, the policy holder is liable for paying back.

If the undocumented driver is stopped, some sheriffs in Maryland will do an immigration status report and may take the driver in for possible deportation. Having the legal right to drive does not change that. What it does do is make it possible for the alien to have insurance so he meets the same financial responsibility standards as any citizen driver.