Driving Safety Video

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jojo7, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jojo7

jojo7 Member

Albums:
    When I think back to the videos in high school about the consequences of driving recklessly, I really just remember seeing mangled cars and sometimes mangled bodies. Maybe this works on some people, but because of all the gory movies and ease of access to gory stuff on the internet, it doesn't really move me because I see it all the time.

A video like this shows more of the emotional toll and shows how just a second of distraction can change everything. This video sticks with me more since its not just a bunch of mangled bodies. I'm not emotional at all, but it brought a tear to my eye during some of the scenes.

I think something like this should be shown to kids in high school rather than those corny safety films.

LiveLeak.com - Drive Safely (about 7.5 mins long)

2. SweetLovesVick

SweetLovesVick New Member

I sat through one of those school driver movies with a teenage drivers class this week. The movie was even worse then I remembered it to be when I was in school. I had to give a short talk of what happens when your is hit by a drunk driver, which I have been twice. Both drunks hit my car during the morning between 9am and 11:30 am. I put up my neck and back x-rays first and ask the question what are the chances this person is walking today? Almost everyone cringes and looks away.

Then I tell them they are my x-rays and that only for the luck of getting a fantastic surgeon have I not only still breath but I can walk which everyone told me would be impossible. I run actually on a treadmill daily, and none of them could believe they were my films seeing it clearly showed my neck broken and my back broken in three places. Here in my section of NY the county puts a crushed car out on each of the high school front lawns from April - June. Every car is from an accident in which one or more people have died. The families of the victims give permission to donate the cars.

This video should be shown, it was graphic and teenagers need graphic these days. A car with five girls died a few years back because the driver was getting a text from the car of girls behind her following her to a spring event. Everyone in the second car witnessed the first car get in a crash with a huge truck and the car exploded killing the five girls instantly (we hope it was instantly). All five dead in a ball of fire over a ten cent text message! There were five less at senior graduation that year. The fire dept had never seen a car fire that bad before, the car started to melt.

My friends daughter just bought herself a car at seventeen, I think I am going to email her this link and she can decide to let her daughter see it or not. It might just help her be more cautious. I would hate to loose my babysitter.

Thank you for sharing this link.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thanks for sharing the link. I really can't remember the films that were shown when I took driving class (it was quite some time ago) but they scared the crap out of me enough to be a safe driver.
    I still have a flawless driving record except for a speed violation leaving Palm Springs at 6:00 am listening to Bad Moon Rising with the top down... I guess you had to be there. It was almost worth the ticket!

4. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    After watching this video, I'm sure I made the right decision to get out of the truck and come in to work in the office. Too many times I've seen accidents similar to those shown. It is a sad reality that most accidents are caused by one person making a bad decision.

I remember seeing movies when I was in high school drivers ed. They were pretty gory, even by today's standards, but what struck me was all the movies we saw were produced by the Ohio State Police. I made me wonder what the hell was going on in Ohio!

5. jojo7

jojo7 Member

Albums:
    That sucks to be hit twice by drunk drivers, but it's great that you beat the odds and recovered from it.

I remember that news story about the 5 girls...impacts so many over a few seconds of distraction and bad timing. The problem in cases like this is there's no way it crossed the girls mind that reading a text for a few seconds would kill everyone. Sometimes no amount of warnings will get something into your head until something bad happens because of it. Unfortunately, that 'something bad' often leaves you dead or disabled when you are driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted