Driving/talking on cell same as DUI?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_starinvestor, Jan 12, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm all for the ban on cell phones while driving unless it's a 911 call!

3. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. It's flat-out dangerous.:eek:

4. lucky8

Gold Member

Ya using cell phones while driving has already been outlawed in my city...yet to see it enforced though

5. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I agree with NY, ban them unless it's a 911 call.

6. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    I concur.
    this past fall when i had a two and a half hour commute to a project sight, i was astounded at the erratic driving - weaving in and out of lanes, offf the shoulder of the road and oever the yellow line coming toward me and 98% of the time the drivers on the phones were women.
    i am not in any way suggesting that women are bad drivers.
    i am merely observing that the majority of people on cell phones while driving are women.
    it is an easy thing to do to hit the shoulder of the road, or wander over the yellow line while talking, or texting or dialing. i caught myself doing the same thing today trying to multi task and catch up.
    that is why i will not use my cell while in the car. unless it is an emergency, it can wait. or pull over, use the phone or tell whoever you will call them back b/c traffic is bad and you have to focus on actually driving.

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Bullshit.

OK. You're crazy. :smile:

That's funny - because the majority of people I notice doing it are men. I don't assume that my observation is in anyway statistically relevant, though. I just assume I am more prone to observing the gender of a person doing a stupid ass thing when that gender is male.

8. Xcuze

Gold Member

Are u talking about handheld mobiles here or any form of mobile phone use? In the UK handheld mobile use has been outlawed for a few years - but its impossible to enforce & u still see everyone doing it. So trying to ban hands-free as well would just be pointless.

Personally, I see just as many men doing it as women so I dont get these sexist remarks.

9. Incocknito

Gold Member

We call it Driving Without Due Care And Attention.

Which is not the same as being under the influence. Unless mobile phones really are toxic.

10. nothungbutveryfun

nothungbutveryfun New Member

Well DUI's are a fact of life because the alcohol industry is a fact of life. Driving while using a cell phone is a fact of life as well. It astounds me to see the way some people are attached to their phones and text messaging. Its simply an addiction that comsumes them every minute of every day; these people are not going to stop using these devices; not in there car, in line at the store, or on the damn toilet for that matter. Get used to it and just watch out. It's funny, I saw a car slammed into a telephone pole just last night and the first thing that came to my mind was they had to be on a cell phone; before they hit it, while they hit and now even after they have hit it. HIT IT!

11. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Sexist? Did I say something about women being inferior?

Just as men are more likely to get a DUI, women are more prone to be jabbering on the phone while driving. In fact, I was grocery shopping last night and more than half the women at the store were on their cell phones while shopping! For those ladies that don't have bluetooth technology, someone should create a cell phone helmet so everyday tasks can be accomplished while still blabbering on the cell.

12. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Have you ever seen a driver on a cell phone try to deal with a four-way stop? They can't keep track of who got to the intersection when, and invariably end up causing anything from hot tempers to a fender-bender.

13. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    Years ago, I placed a cell call while waiting for a stop light to change. When the person I was calling picked up I had a brain fart and started through the intersection even though the light hadn't changed. (I guess my brain somehow conflated the two things I was awaiting.) Fortunately no other cars were coming or it could've been a bad accident.

So ... from personal experience I know that it's hard for the brain to process a phone conversation and driving at the same time. Not to say I *never* take a phone call while driving now, but I try to avoid it. And I agree that the bad drivers on the road are disproportionately yammering away (regardless of their gender).

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted