Driving under the influence of crack

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This story has been in the news for a couple of days now. I don't know if it's been making the national news, but it is a very disturbing story on many levels. The Union Temple Baptist Church was having it's annual Unifest festival in southwest DC's Anacostia area. Streets were cordoned and barricaded for several blocks; this young woman, reaching estimated speeds of 70 mph, plowed through the festival, striking several people (one bounced off her front grill, over the hood, into the windshield, and over the top of the car...) and one witness mentioned baby strollers slammed into the air by the impact...

Here's a follow-up story.

Festival car crash

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She has a long history of drug addiction and incarceration, and some evidence of underlying psychological/emotional pathology.

You should check out the article, if you haven't. It has a lot more information than I put in my intro, but it's a follow-up story, so some of the details of the crash itself weren't detailed as they were in a previous column.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It's too bad that the streets in every city are filled with those who need hospitalization but cannot get the care they need because of ridiculous laws and misdirected budgets. This woman deserves our pity and the help of rehabilitation. Instead she's been ignored until we're left with no choice but to confine her to a home for the criminally insane.

We've let another soul fall through the cracks.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok...I know folks are not going to agree with me but the madness needs to stop. DC, in the last two weeks we have had at least 4 incidents like this. As you probably heard about the latest this morning in Charles County plowing into a bus stop of children. Having had friends and family members injured and killed by drivers under the influence, I have very little sympathy. It takes me to a place I dont want to be....

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I did read the article. I feel a wee bit of sympathy for the drug addicted girl. I know that mentally, she feels lost and stuck and depressed, and I know it can't be easy. But, after I have had three people in my immediate family with "problems". Two were/are drug addicts, one of them was an alcoholic. I've been through some similar events as the girl in the story, but I've never even come close to having a drug problem. But I know that my mom was my savior, and maybe she didn't have that. I'm kind of going through a mix of emotions. I feel sorry for her, but I'm angry with her. Not only did she plow through that festival, but she had her child in the freakn back seat! Seriously.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you all for taking the time to read and comment on this.

It is a serious problem. Yes, she did "fall through the cracks" so to speak. I couldn't find the first of the articles that I read, but I seem to remember something about her neighbors and other witnesses saying she had been in several automobile incidents earlier in the day. Meg, I also have a nephew who was addicted to crack for years, and was incarcerated several times. Thank goodness he finally got the help he needed and has been clean and sober for 3 years now.

I have a bit of sympathy for Ms. Bell, but it just shreds my heart thinking about her children.

I'm not really sure why I even posted this, but it just seemed to affect me. I know I didn't post it to point an accusing finger at her, nor did I intend to laugh at her or express sympathy at what a poor victim she is... I guess mostly just as a public service/awareness sort of thing. It does happen. Crack is such an insidious drug, and methamphetamine is running a close second. And they are rampant.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On a much smaller scale:
I live in a quiet suburb of a major city...feeling safer than safe...then, on April 9, a crack head woman stripped naked, jumped out of her car near the parking garage of my apt building....She stood in the center of a busy street, while cars swerved to avoid her.
A good samaritan, thinking she was a rape victim, got out of her SUV to give her aid.
"You can hep me with THIS!" said crackhead and stabbed the good samaritan woman.
This kind of crazy shit is going on everywhere.

sad sad sad.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's too bad that the streets in every city are filled with those who need hospitalization but cannot get the care they need because of ridiculous laws and misdirected budgets. This woman deserves our pity and the help of rehabilitation. Instead she's been ignored until we're left with no choice but to confine her to a home for the criminally insane.

We've let another soul fall through the cracks.

Sadly, too many in our country would rather build an economy on prison and jail time than on treatment and intervention. There are thousands of addicts in Baltimore City alone and scracely 2 or 3 clinics where those without health insurance can seek treatment.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Go figure.
Yeah, I thought that was way beyond ironic. By the way, have I recently given you a "welcome back"? I've missed your posts for a while, good to see you again.

Sadly, too many in our country would rather build an economy on prison and jail time than on treatment and intervention. There are thousands of addicts in Baltimore City alone and scracely 2 or 3 clinics where those without health insurance can seek treatment.
There is obviously a whole lot about her story, and others. It sounds like she is surrounded by people who care about her, but for whatever reason, there's just no enforcement going on.

I don't want to go too far into the assumptions, but if she can afford to be driving a Volvo, you'd think she could afford some treatment of some kind, without having to rely entirely upon "state-sponsored" care.

And who foots the bill for the 23 people she injured in those few seconds? The whole story just boggles my mind.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I don't want to go too far into the assumptions, but if she can afford to be driving a Volvo, you'd think she could afford some treatment of some kind, without having to rely entirely upon "state-sponsored" care....

I dunno. I know lotsof people who have cars what are paid for (used, etc.) who only carry liability insurance. Again, hard to not make assumptions

And who foots the bill for the 23 people she injured in those few seconds? The whole story just boggles my mind.

Another really good question. It depends on whether she had insurance on the car and if the people hit have insurance. If not, of course their bills will be covered by tax payers. Ugh.