Drug Testing for Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Drug Testing for Unemployment Benefits

I don't like the sound of this. :irked: It's a little too 'Big Brother' for me. Plus what about those who do fail the test? :confused: Being ineligible for unemployment benefits for one year is very harsh. Remember unemployment comes out of your paycheck so you are keeping their own money from them. :mad:

More importantly, where do those people go? How do they live? Do they end up in jail, since local authorities will be notified? Yeah, that will save the taxpayers money . . . NOT. :angryfire2: I'm not condoning drug use, but this law has some serious problems.

2. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

sure, test them

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    This is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. It gives whole new meaning to the phrase 'police state'.

While they're at it, give them a Breathalyzer. Test them for nicotine consumption; smoking related illness could constitute a cost to the state as well.

#3 B_Nick8, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Sorry, but I have to pass drug tests so that I can work and pay taxes. If you don't pass a drug test, I think you should be ineligible for unemployment and wefare and food stamps. Whats next government assistance to get drugs if you can't afford them?
    I am and will always be in the camp of no one can tell you what to do "AS LONG AS YOU ARE PAYING YOUR OWN BILLS!"

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Unemployment benefits are for a set period of time based on the fact that you have worked and are predicated on the amount of money you earned during that time (at least here in NY). One assumes, if you were subject to testing during that time, you passed the tests. Additionally, you also chose to work in an area that required such tests. Who appointed the government to the role of overseer in requiring the maintenance of such behaviour?

6. D_CountVonBhigBohner

D_CountVonBhigBohner Account Disabled

Sorry...disagree here. I wouldn't bet my money on a horse with a broken leg either. I don't see anything wrong with having a requirement of not taking illegal drugs or smoking two packs a day in order to receive health benefits.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think you are assuming that I am unaware of this. If someone tested clean for drugs while they were working, it's likely that they will as unemployed. But most people that I know do not have to undergo routine drug screening, I did not until I started working for the State of NY...thank god I was not doing drugs, I would not have gotten the job and would have needed unemployment. I'm just saying if you want assistance...say no to drugs! You are never going to convince me otherwise.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Nude, you are as firm in your beliefs as you are...oh, never mind. :wink:

9. midlifebear

Gold Member

In the days when I slaved for "the man" I remember a recruiter getting me a clandestine interview with WordPerfect Corporation. I didn't want the job, because it meant working with cult-like religious zealots in the magic land of Provo, Ewetaw. But it would have made it easier for me to keep an eye on my folks.

When the recruiter broached that I would be required to take a drugs test for part of the interview I simply laughed. "If I have to take a drug test, would you be willing to take a pregnancy test?" I asked. "What's that got to do with it?" she huffed. And, from practical experience I listed the number of employees I eventually let go, at their behest, because they decided they preferred to stay home and take care of their newborn child than concentrate on work. And that's when I was responsible for the output of a ton of documentation for one of our favorite software companies often mentioned on this site. I have no problem hiring or working with women. And I believe new parents should be given at least six months leave -- both parents -- to care for and schedule their families. But every young woman I hired during six years as a department head inevitably chose to quit work and stay home with their child or children. Nothing wrong with that. But it had a serious effect upon the rest of us who had to pick up the slack until I could replace and properly train new employees to take their places.

And I won't go into the number of zombified Prozac users whose work had to be carefully monitored because it affected their ability to remember how to spell or proof other's material. And if those of you currently taking serotonin re uptake inhibitors don't believe they affect your work performance, you're obviously believeing the rainbows and colorful puppy farts that appear in the commercials for Zoloft, Prozac, etc.

Drug tests? I don't see that they do any good at all. There are just as many "legal" medications allowed that cause just as many work performance problems.

#9 midlifebear, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  10. Incocknito

Gold Member

I agree with what Nude Yorker is saying (in principal). I think the problem, as other have said, is in the implementation of such a policy and its knock on effect.

For example, we deny ten people unemployment benefit because they tested positive for drugs. Where do these ten people then live and how do they meet provisions for food and water?

You would probably then have to decide whether "looking after" the drug addicted unemployed is cheaper and less time/work intensive than just giving them the unemployment benefit anyway.

I don't think the unemployed should have the cost of a drugs test deducted from their benefit. At least certainly not if they pass the drugs test. If they fail then it seems fair to deduct the cost of what was a wasted exercise from their benefit.

There is also a chance that those denied benefit will turn to crime to fund their habits. This could create more robberies and potentially even murders.

There are many factors to consider although I do agree that the state should not have to pay for people to do drugs. They should be incentivised to work. Although many drug addicts come from low income areas and the source is a generational cycle of bad parenting.

So on its own, having requirements for benefits will not solve the problem of drug addicted persons being subsidised by the government. It doesn't tackle the root cause, and sadly I think it would only transfer the problem to another sector of government such as the police department.

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

SexyCock777:

First, I think you've made some excellent and valid points. Although not related to drug screening, what I find absolutely stupid is that those on unemployment insurance have to pay income tax on that money. The day I discovered my parents had to pay income tax on their Social Security benefits I pretty much lost it. And correct me if I'm wrong, because I certainly do not pretend to be an expert on USA income tax laws, but didn't those changes in the taxing of unemployment and Social Security happen on Reagan's watch? I certainly remember that in my second year of grad school at UT I suddenly had to pay income tax on my $5,000 a year scholarship. That sucked major donkey dick! And it happened the second or third year Reagan was President. I suppose the IRS taxes welfare checks, too. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Well, ONE of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

12. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    i wonder how many local, state , and federal officials would be caught in a similar random test.

in fact if this is the road we're going down, shouldn't everybody in congress, and the senate and the administration be tested? supreme ct? judge judy?

don't they already have a deadbeat dad flag on unemployment beni's, i think they do in cali maybe it's not federal.

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

thadjock makes a very good point. If all public employees are to be drug tested so should all members of every State's Legislature, including the attorney generals, the governors and all of the governor's appointees and every elected official. And especially every Senator and Congressman!

14. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Tell it Midlifebear... drug testing is really just testing for Marijuana because all of the other "drugs" that they supposedly screen for are metabolized quickly by the body and have a blood level legacy of days, not weeks like marijuana. You could stop snorting Cocaine for about a week before a test and you will pass with flying colors. All of the other "drugs" have legal analogues that come up as false positives. The drug testers know this and crank up the allowed levels of those other substances to cut out the fasle positives... with the test ending up to only really screen for Marijuana use.

It's just a way to cheat a fifth of the population of this country out of their unemployment benefits and to further disenfranchise the enlightened people. Marijuana is such a light drug and is childs play compared to all of the prescription drugs that people are choking down now.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    One more skirmish in the War on Drugs®, that most successful endeavor begun by our esteemed leader Richard Nixon.

When are people going to wake up to the fact that this self-serving war has resulted in more collateral damage to our society than any other armed conflict, while accomplishing even less objectively?

Some here have already mentioned the obvious hypocrisy in the selective application of such standards, so I won't belabor that point.

16. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    If the applicants are not allowed pot, the legislature and state officeholders should not be allowed alcohol, which is much more damaging, physiologically and socially.

17. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    it's hard to make the "alcohol is a drug too" debate stick because of the way the laws are written, even though it's more widely abused. FDA=Federal Dickheads & Assholes.

you think at least somebody in charge would see the similarity between the failure of prohibition and the failure of the war on drugs though.

Hmm, anybody got an island for sale that's elligible for sovereign state status? I feel like fathering a nation! maybe i just horny again?

18. Amber1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

19. Incocknito

Gold Member

Just like to point out that I didn't mean to imply that only people on low incomes would be doing drugs, just that they are the ones applying for unemployment benefit.

Unless Paris Hilton and Amy Winehouse are on the dole. Give it a few years and they might be.

The rich and the super rich probably do shitloads of drugs but they aren't going to to be the ones mugging, shoplifting and murdering to fund their habits since they already have money.

20. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    let me state emphatically that i'm not advocating for a massively high/stoned/tweaked society.

there are plenty of legitimate reasons for drug tests. I dont' think it's unreasonable to test someone who drives a bus full of those miscreant progeny some of you call "kids"

and i think it's completely reasonable to test coppers, or firemen, or other people we charge with our community's safety. if i happen to set things alight when i'm high i certainly want the person who's going to piss it out to be str8up sober. and being under an influence while wielding a gun, (upon some reflection) wouldn't seem a wise combination.

Draft saved Draft deleted