Drug tests for welfare recipients

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_imjustaguy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
  2. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

Go ahead and test them. I'm willing to bet the employed people buy more drugs anyway...

3. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    That could be. But the point was that the money for welfare should be used to help a person live, not to purchase illegal drugs.

4. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

What about the legal ones?

5. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    What about legal drugs? If you have a prescription for them, it won't stop you from getting a job.

6. D_Helmer Heighballs

D_Helmer Heighballs New Member

no no no, your argument is flawed. some use illicit substances to self medicate for deeper issue, it is the fault of society that places a stigma on all drug use. solve the issue of why these people choose to self medicate in that way and you can stop the issue. personally i would say that (in the uk) if you can afford to smoke and drink like some of our benefit hounds you deserve to loose part of your benefit. on the whole i agree with you, add tobacco alcohol and all drugs accept cannabis to the fold.

if they want to have drugs make them work to pay for them. tough love.

peace.

7. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    Well, self-medicating is illegal if you are a layperson, and frowned upon if you are a doctor. I don't recall every states laws, but I think marijuanna is illegal in most states, and still RX based in the few that have it. If it is based on a prescription, then that would obviously be noted during the testing.

8. hud01

Gold Member

That is not necessarily true. Some companies won't hire you if xanax or valium show up, even if it is prescribed.

9. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    Really? and there have been no lawsuits about it? Or was it such a dangerous job, that the drugs would impair the person to the point of being dangerous?

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Just another witch hunt on the poor.
    Anyone of us can become unemployed tomorrow. If you have a job and pay taxes, you're then entitled to UI if you lose it. Period. To act as if you're no longer eligible for this because you tested positive for drugs is bullshit. Especially when you consider that there are more people with jobs that do drugs for obvious reasons. Plus, UI benefits are limited anyhow. Where's the potential abuse when most people can't collect anymore after 6 months? If people with UI can't be on drugs, then people with jobs can't be on them either. Since I doubt anyone would ever agree to that kind of across the board testing, perhaps we should be focused on real issues that can turn things around for people struggling in our Nation?

And keep this in mind... with the exception of the social drink, I don't do drugs. At all.

11. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    Vinyl,

What about drug testing to get a job? If people on unemployment are actually looking for a job, then there is a good chance they will have to pass a drug test. Shouldn't a person be "pre-qualified" for a job?

Also, not everyone that loses their job is entitled to unemployment benefits. If you quit, you can't get them. If you were fired for derelect of your job duties, you will most likely not get benefits.

Also, it is the employer who pays into the UI system, based on whether they are a for-profit or non-profit organization.

Who pays for unemployment benefits? + Frequently Asked Questions + Employer Advocates

What do you think about welfare recipients being required to pass a test?

-Just A. Guy

12. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There is a flaw (at least here, from what I've heard second hand) that most, if not all, companies and such have another company do the drug testing. So what they test for is at the control of the third party company. And a lot of companies have a no tolerance fail policy, meaning if you fail, you're out/not in. It doesn't matter what you failed for. The situation I noted at the beginning was I know someone who got a job, all they needed to do was pass the drug test. So she was in. So she goes out with her husband the night before the test to celebrate the new job. Had a few drinks, danced, went home, and then took the test. She failed because they test for alcohol. Now they never told her they were testing for it, nor did they tell her what failed her. She had to badger them over the phone a lot to get them to spill it. And they never told the company why she failed, only that she failed.

13. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

And mandatory drug testing of Bankers and CEOs who will receive public money? It is two thousands years since the Romans crucified Christ and there are people in the states who want to still nail Him to the cross.

14. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

This would certainly save the Treasury Dept. billions of dollars; my guess is over half of welfare recipients use illegal drugs. They could redirect those dollars into federal training programs for people that actually want to work and make a contribution to society.

A saw that an uniformed poster above tried to spin this into an issue about unemployment benefits - which is altogether completely different. Unemployment benefits are available to those who worked and temporarily lost jobs.

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love a man in uniform. :smile:

ahh Star... re-read the OP...
    That's what the OP intended to talk about and just because Vinyl is right, doesn't mean you get to change the topic.

I like Sarge's point above. That recipients of bail-out money should have to pass drug test as well. All persons in management positions. Not just the CEOs. Why should the corporate welfare bums be treated any differently than their victims?

#15 vince, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  16. D_hybabi

D_hybabi New Member

It would cost the state too much money too monitor anyway...
    There are loads of ways to cheat a drugs test too... druggies usually know how.

17. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Might as well require drug tests for medicare recipients and those on disability. I'm sure that'll go over like a lead balloon.

That too.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I've done work for some of the biggest print and magazine firms in the country, have done IT work for a world respected music company, web design for an internationally recognized company and currently do sales at a well known computer store. Not a single one of them required me to pass a drug test. For most jobs, I find the practice to be useless considering that many people are screw ups even before marijuana or cocaine get into the picture.

Technicalities, technicalities. You know what I'm getting at. :rolleyes:

Like I said before... another witch hunt on the poor. Do you have any unbiased studies or findings that suggest that people on welfare are more likely to do drugs than other social groups? Is this where the problem with our economy really lies? Or are you just echoing more of that revised "Welfare Mom" rhetoric? It's amazing how people's need (or should I say greed) forces them to penny pinch where people need the assistance the most. It's like trying to squeeze water out of an igneous rock.

#18 B_VinylBoy, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  19. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Hold on.

Unemployment is administered on a state-by-state basis. The unemployment fund is arrived at through a tax on employers. The feds dictate the guidelines, but this isn't robbing the federal Treasury one cent.

Entitlements/handouts are sucked right out of the national coffers.

State Unemployment Insurance Benefits, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

My interpretation was that the OP was referring to entitlement programs. And I would have no problem enforcing drug tests for the corporations that took TARP money.

Even though they are getting up and going to work....unlike the recipients of other entitlement programs.:rolleyes:

At least the recipients, if they don't submit to a drug test, should be asked to perform some duty for their handout/consideration. Planting trees, or cleaning sidewalks - at least something to better/improve the society which provides their handouts.

20. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I use marijuana to treat of very serious chronic stomach ailment. It in no way interferes with any job I may or not have and is of NO BUSINESS to any employer, or if I lose my job and become destitute, or any Welfare board.

Draft saved Draft deleted