Dry hands in winter

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BIGdkluver, Oct 31, 2007.

1. BIGdkluver

Gold Member

When fall and winter come, my hands tend to become very dry, rough, and cracked. There's no itching, just a lot of dryness and small cracks and roughness. I put lotion on them, but it's only a temporary solution.

Then, with the coming of spring and summer, the dryness goes away completely and my hands resume their normal smoothness.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what it is?
    I'd appreciate any information. Thanks!

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You say you put lotion on but it's only a temporary solution, that sounds like you're using the lotion until the dryness and cracks disappear then you stop using it, you need to use the lotion all the time (it doesn't have to be an expensive one, something like Vaseline Intensive Care is cheap and very good), you should wear gloves when the weathers cold, remember that water dehydrates so when it's cold don't go in for random obsessive hand washing. Use lotion after every hand wash too and before you go to sleep when you won't be using your hands for anything (no jerking off ) really slather it on.

3. sedated

sedated New Member

Have the same situation here... but sometimes is caused by the soap u use. I recomend u to rinse very very well ur hands and as SP says... don't get to obsessed on keed ur hands clean. I can recomend u Lubriderm

4. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    Depending on the climate, most places have big swings in humidity during the year. I'm from Nebraska, so I know what you're talking about. During the warmer months, it's warmer, rains more often, and is fairly humid. That means that there is more moisture in the air. During winter, some of your "softness" that is due to having moisturized skin is reduced by the dry air.

That was just the technical explanation, but as for using lotion... I don't do it much myself, but definitely follow the advice above. Like SP said, be sure to continually use it or else your hands will just dry out after you stop using it.

5. agnslz

Gold Member

I usually get dry and cracked hands in cold weather. Only, my hands do itch. It often can cause me to be very uncomfortable and even slightly miserable. I don't even bother with lotion most times. I've never liked having lotion on my hands anyway, 'cause I don't like the greasy and strange feeling it leaves me with. I've also always washed my hands constantly, which just compounds the whole problem.:eek: Somehow, though, I find a way to get through it.:biggrin:

6. London_Calling

London_Calling New Member

I get really dry skin in winter and not only my hands. I find the best is aqueous cream which you get in a huge tub & is dirt cheap. Just slather it all over wherever you need it..absorbs quickly & works a treat!

7. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

8. Northland

Gold Member

In the winter time, I find the drying of skin is much more severe. There are things which are seemingly related to cold winter weather, including dry skin. There is also the matter of static electricity which seems much more productive in the cooler times of year. Part of this may be due to an often lower level of humidity in the air, which in turn leads to the moisture exiting the skin, rather than settle on as beads of sweat.

As to solutions, just about any over the counter hand and foot lotion and moisturizer will do the trick. For more severe levels of dryness, I have found that Zim's Crack Creme is one of the best. Not only does it moisturize and restore my lower leg skin and hand skin back to a comfort zone; it heals the places which have become open wounds.

You can find Zim's at many pharmacies or at their website: Zim's Crack Creme® - Natural Skin Care Products That Really Work!

9. snoozan

Gold Member

This is really common.

I wash my hands a lot, so I always use a creamy, lotion-based soap to clean. I like Bath and Body Works Moisturizing Hand Soap.

When I was in school and took ceramics for a year, which is really hard on your hands, I used Corn Huskers' Lotion which works really well and doesn't feel the same as lotion to me-- I know the weird feeling of lotion on your hands that you mention.

Something else that I've used and like is Bag Balm.

10. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    I have found that Aveno works very well on all kinds of dry skin. They also have a thicker creme for babies, which I have found is good for dry hands that crack in the colder months.

11. RideRocket

Gold Member

My skin is always much drier and prone to cracking during the winter. In addition to the lower humidity due to the season, I've noticed (at least for me) that because I have natural gas heat, the air is much drier as well. Using lotion helps, but getting a humidifier for your house can help too.

12. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I work with my hands ( I'm an Electrician ) and I too suffer from severely
    dryed out hands. Lotion helps, but using soap made with Goat's milk
    and glycerin helps. I've been told to look for Bag Balm, which comes
    from the Dairy industry. Its something that the farmers put on cows
    udders so they won't dry and crack.

13. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I always use gloves doing dishes or any housework, and....

I know this sounds stupid, but I swear by something called "Miracle Foot Repair" (I buy it online or a Linens N Things)

It's the best lotion I've ever used, period. I use it on my hands, my legs, my feet....

My teen daughter and I must have purchased hundreds of different lotions, but this lotions truly does make a difference.... and I've been without it for a couple of weeks (I was going through security at an airport and they made me throw it out) (it was that or miss the plane), and boy have I missed it. I've just ordered another couple of tubes.

I don't even like the fragrance in it, but I use it anyway (that's how good it is.

14. BIGdkluver

Gold Member

Thank you ALL very much for your wonderful and helpful replies. I'll start working on these great suggestions right away!

15. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My best friend's dad uses Crisco. He puts it on hands and feet, and wears cotton gloves and socks to bed. He's a chronic marathoner, so he's really hard on his feet, and his hands do get exposed to weird weather. It works very well for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted