DUI Stop Question

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I live in LA and was pulled over for a possible DUI the other night, for the first time ever.

I knew I wasn't even close to being drunk (2.5 beers in 4 hours-I weigh 210), but was not rude to the officers and complied with all of their tests. At first, they had my eyes follow the top of the officer's pen without moving my head. I guess he didn't like the results because he had me exit the car for a series of other tests.

I did 3 balance/agility tests outside the car, where it was cold as fuck. I warned the officer ahead of time that I am clumsy by nature (which is true) before I took the tests. One of them included lifting my leg in the air as long as possible, which I would suck at even if I had no drinks.

Well, they didn't like these tests, either, and gave me the option of going Downtown with them in cuffs or using the breathalyzer. I opted for the breathalyzer. When I was done blowing, the cops kind of flinched when looking at the results, as they indicated that I was well under the legal limit of .08. When I asked to see the results, they made up some excuse for not showing me. Am I entitled to see the results, even if I am not over the limit? I interpret the cops flinching from the results as embarrassment for making me do all of the tests, since I was well below the DUI limit. What do you think?

By the way, they weren’t assholes in the way they came across. However, they said they stopped me because I didn’t signal on a turn (WTF?) and crossed a double yellow line to make a second turn. I think these excuses to stop me were complete BS. Signaling is not mandatory, for one. I did, however, not have my seatbelt on, as I literally was a 2 minute drive from my destination, but they didn’t mention the seatbelt thing. I may have called them out on the reason for stopping me, but I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers, as I knew I wasn’t going to fail the breathalyzer test.
Oh, and I left a bar/area where cops are notorious for “patrolling” and trying to catch people DUI.

ShowOff

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if you would have flunked the portable breathalyzer, they would have taken you to the station and had you blow into another machine which would have been on tape and recorded the results. Its then then they would have let you know, the breathalyzer is just a guide.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why don't they just breatho you straight out? It's been done down here for years and works wel from both sides. The cops know if your drunk or not right away and it only takes 2 minutes out of your life tops.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Okay, thanks. Could I also have skipped all of the ridiculous tests they gave and gone straight to the breathalyzer instead?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay, thanks. Could I also have skipped all of the ridiculous tests they gave and gone straight to the breathalyzer instead?

The tests always make me laugh, or rather, watching people perform them on TV does. Cops here just ask if you've been drinking and if they're suspicious will immediately breathalyse you. None of the prancing down the white lines and standing on one leg nonesense. I think the direct approach is better all round.

bottombuddy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
best to be stopped below the level rather than above it.

i wouldnt complain as theyre doing a job and hopefully they will have caught some folks over the limit by stopping cars.....hopefully they will have stopped someone who could have rear ended you,etc.

merry christmas and happy new year from sunny scotland (minus 1 degrees)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well - in Ireland the Gardai just seem to have a 6th sense. They lean in the window and have a look around - if you're sober you get told to feck off home. If you're even slightly drunk you get the madatory "Shtep out of the ve-hi-cle", further eyeballing and either told to feck off home (drunk, but I know your father so don't let me catch you again) or breathalised (drunk, either on a 2nd time of catching or too drunk to ignore). Not once, in my experience or that of my friends', have I known them to breathalise someone sober. It must happen, but not IME.

And I agree with dong - those co-ordination tests make great comedy tv - you should be able to say 'just breathalise me please officer' though, because the tests are a joke.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Not even loosing a close relative. How do you live knowing you took some innocent persons life because you thought it would be quicker, or cost you less to drive yourself.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
OK OK - look we all know drinking and driving is a bad idea - nearly as bad as driving when tired, funny there ain't as much stigma on that one though... but the thread was about someone well within the legal limit and therefore legally safe to drive (and those limits are strict if you ask me) asking about his rights vis-a-vis breathalising and the stupid tests. Do we have to turn it into a thread about how one whiff of a barmaid's apron and so much as look at a car makes you a murderer? Do we really?

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK OK - look we all know drinking and driving is a bad idea - nearly as bad as driving when tired, funny there ain't as much stigma on that one though... but the thread was about someone well within the legal limit and therefore legally safe to drive (and those limits are strict if you ask me) asking about his rights vis-a-vis breathalising and the stupid tests. Do we have to turn it into a thread about how one whiff of a barmaid's apron and so much as look at a car makes you a murderer? Do we really?

You take a walk in my moms shoes and then come tell me he sniffed a barmaids apron, any amout of booze and driving is to much. I never called anyone a murderer. I REALLY dont expect YOU to understand any of this.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
You take a walk in my moms shoes and then come tell me he sniffed a barmaids apron, any amout of booze and driving is to much. I never called anyone a murderer. I REALLY dont expect YOU to understand any of this.

I wasn't addressing anyone specifically. You clearly are.

If you have an issue with me Monster - spill it, on the boards, in PM - wherever - You've been following me through a few threads like a sulky child for a week or so now, swiping at anything I say like a stoned baboon.
Get it off your chest or fuck off, sonny.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wasn't addressing anyone specifically. You clearly are.

If you have an issue with me Monster - spill it, on the boards, in PM - wherever - You've been following me through a few threads like a sulky child for a week or so now, swiping at anything I say like a stoned baboon.
Get it off your chest or fuck off, sonny.

Your a pouty little gay boy and you never pass a chance to chastise everyone, I wouldnt follow your bitch ass anywhere. Im done with you asshole