Dumb things Americans have been told to believe

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:usa1:This thread has done its job and got everybody trying to show that they are smarter than the average American! :popcorn:

Obama was not raised a Muslim, he simply spent formative years in southeast Asia, which is largely Muslim.

I observe Xmas even though I am no longer an Xtian. Why? because the holiday predates the faith. Many world holidays do that. I also observe made up holidays like Mothers Day and Fathers Day and Labor Day.

There's a very nice Jackson Browne song called The Information Wars...
YouTube - Information Wars Music Video

I remember celebrating May Day in grammar school, making "May baskets" out of construction paper and the milk containers from lunch. The flagpole out front was festooned with crepe paper which, obviously, ripped too easily.

I cannot imagine the outrage in some places if such Pagan festivals were done today :wink:

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
16 of the Dumbest Things Americans Believe -- And the Right-Wing Lies Behind Them | | AlterNet

Excerpt:

• Many Americans still believe in witchcraft, ESP and other supernatural phenomena. Does that explain why Christine O’Donnell was so quick to deny her “dabbling”?
I can't say I don't believe a couple of these things myself, but in another place in the article, they are being told that Obama has raised taxes! despite their being lowered for most of us...we are a laughing stock.

Sadly I am unable to dispute the belief in these items with one exception. It really seems like we continually become more and more stupid (Americans) as time passes.
FEAR makes people do incredibly stupid things and it can be a great motivator .
The right-wing does nothing but prey on our fears and that along with them elevating racism since OBAMA has become POTUS was all that was required to get sane people to vote AGAINST the party who saved us from a great depression, saved one of the very few things we export anymore these days cause the GOP along with BUSH & co have shipped all of our jobs overseas, that is the Auto industry, and expanded Health Care with many loved provisions, despite the bullshit you hear about how hated HCR is. My older cousin is thrilled that her son who is still in College can remain on her state insurance.
The Dems in Congress accomplished so much good amidst the deplorable obstructionism of the Repugnicans!
In time the 111th Congress will be heralded for all they gave us and the ass-wipes who thwarted progress as they stuck up for Corporate America will be vilified and like the ones that opposed Social Security, Medicare and other programs of social justice we will ask WTF were they thinking !

As for the one thing of exception ESP and Paranormal phenomena are indeed quite real . O'Donnell backed down on that cause she sounded like a fukin idiot cause no pagan/witch I KNOW, even accepts the idea of SATAN....Satan is a Christian concept born about in mythology when Pious Christians claimed the Greek God PAN and made him into Satan !

As for the taxes, this is so fukin insane. Our taxes are too LOW, they are the lowest they have been in five decades. Not paying taxes and two major wars on a credit card is the main reason the damn deficit is out of control now !

Another thing you will not hear in Right-wing fantasy land is the FACT that under OBAMA the deficit in fiscal year 2010 is DOWN 8% not UP as they would have you believe !

~HH~

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sadly I am unable to dispute the belief in these items with one exception. It really seems like we continually become more and more stupid (Americans) as time passes.
FEAR makes people do incredibly stupid things and it can be a great motivator .
The right-wing does nothing but prey on our fears and that along with them elevating racism since OBAMA has become POTUS was all that was required to get sane people to vote AGAINST the party who saved us from a great depression, saved one of the very few things we export anymore these days cause the GOP along with BUSH & co have shipped all of our jobs overseas, that is the Auto industry, and expanded Health Care with many loved provisions, despite the bullshit you hear about how hated HCR is. My older cousin is thrilled that her son who is still in College can remain on her state insurance.
The Dems in Congress accomplished so much good amidst the deplorable obstructionism of the Repugnicans!
In time the 111th Congress will be heralded for all they gave us and the ass-wipes who thwarted progress as they stuck up for Corporate America will be vilified and like the ones that opposed Social Security, Medicare and other programs of social justice we will ask WTF were they thinking !

As for the one thing of exception ESP and Paranormal phenomena are indeed quite real . O'Donnell backed down on that cause she sounded like a fukin idiot cause no pagan/witch I KNOW, even accepts the idea of SATAN....Satan is a Christian concept born about in mythology when Pious Christians claimed the Greek God PAN and made him into Satan !

As for the taxes, this is so fukin insane. Our taxes are too LOW, they are the lowest they have been in five decades. Not paying taxes and two major wars on a credit card is the main reason the damn deficit is out of control now !

Another thing you will not hear in Right-wing fantasy land is the FACT that under OBAMA the deficit in fiscal year 2010 is DOWN 8% not UP as they would have you believe !

~HH~

I must agree with HH on all his points, but that is just moi... ymmv.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Even educated and informed people are concerned with Barack Hussein Obama's ties with Islam.

- One of his first speeches was a palsy, empathetic speech to Muslims - not in the U.S.

- He was raised as a Muslim

- His views and statements about Islam have been very positive

- He takes part in all Islamic celebrations - including one this week I might add... Eid al-Adha

I could go on, but no one is paying attention...

OOOH! LOOK AT THE BIG SCARY COLORED MAN! OOOOOOOOOH!:rolleyes:

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Even educated and informed people are concerned with Barack Hussein Obama's ties with Islam.

NO, actually the more educated a person is the less they are ignorant enough to blame an entire religion for the few loonies within their sect, eventhough OBAMA isn't A Muslim, if he were there would be nothing wrong with that as you have suggested !

- One of his first speeches was a palsy, empathetic speech to Muslims - not in the U.S.

WOW , Court martial him NOW for Empathy to other human beings!

- He was raised as a Muslim

A well reported Right-wing LIE, By the time BARACK was born his Father had long since denounced his Islamic faith and was an Atheist and thought Religion was just superstition, though BARACK did attend schools in Indonesia which is largely of Islamic faith .

- His views and statements about Islam have been very positive

The only response THIS statement deserves is a big LMAO, 'cept for the fact the very same can be said of W !

- He takes part in all Islamic celebrations - including one this week I might add... Eid al-Adha

I take part in silly Xian holidays though I have not been a Xian since my late teens .

I could go on, but no one is paying attention...

Ohhh but the learned are and finding it a mixture of hilarity and pathos !

If you change your religious beliefs the same way you change your underwear, then... they really aren't very important. I will argue you on that point because religion is also indoctrination, brainwashing and so forth.

I don't care if he IS a Muslim, I just think he hides behind masks of what he wants people to think. Most all Presidents do to a certain extent.

I consider all religions to be dangerous, Islam just happens to be on the top of the list.

Love how you first of all display your ignorance glaringly and then compound your ignorance by contradicting yourself .

GNOTHI SEAUTON

XXLJohn1955

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
-- "Trickle-down" economics makes middle and lower-income Americans wealthier

-- NAFTA is responsible for corporations shipping jobs to Asia

-- Private insurance is what's best for America

-- Federal debt is bad

-- Defense spending is sacred

-- Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"NO, actually the more educated a person is the less they are ignorant enough to blame an entire religion for the few loonies within their sect, eventhough OBAMA isn't A Muslim, if he were there would be nothing wrong with that as you have suggested !"

Then most of Lpsg is stupid as shit... because the anti-Christian white-hate/guilt in here is beyond ign'int (to quote Chris Rock). Or maybe it's the hypocrisy. The vitriol against American christianity here, is flat out bigotry and hate, yet the Islamic protectionism is frightening.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"NO, actually the more educated a person is the less they are ignorant enough to blame an entire religion for the few loonies within their sect, eventhough OBAMA isn't A Muslim, if he were there would be nothing wrong with that as you have suggested !"

Then most of Lpsg is stupid as shit... because the anti-Christian white-hate/guilt in here is beyond ign'int (to quote Chris Rock). Or maybe it's the hypocrisy. The vitriol against American christianity here, is flat out bigotry and hate, yet the Islamic protectionism is frightening.

there really shouldn't be any Christians here at LPSG

Oh noes!! Islamic protectionism!! Soon, we will all be speaking Arabic!

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

No, you're just the stupid one. Because quite frankly I tend to dislike ALL religions. But only here do we see hyper-Christians try so hard to make themselves look better than those who follow Islam. And considering the domestic terrorism being conducted on our shores against innocent Muslims these days the last thing you want to do is propagate a religion.

But yeah, keep thinking people hate you because you're a white Christian and post more ignorant turds of nonsense. We know this is the only thing you're capable of.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Body Scanners and genital groping. We're told we need them to protect us from the "terrorists"...and 4 out of 5 sheeple believe it, even though you, me, and everyone else are 10 times more likely to be struck by lightening than we are to ever be involved in a terrorist attack. [fact] Ya, let's let uncle sam take nude pics and/or grope your 5 year old daughter...that'll keep us safe for sure...

This is a win for the "enemies" btw

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
It reminds me of undercover cops going after prostitutes with a hard-on all day. That's what I call an honest living.:rolleyes:

The job description should read:

Attention male applicants:

Would you like to have a raging hard-on at work all day busting prostitutes? Sumbit resume to: "Hard-On Division" @....

Some males in law enforcement who attempt to lure pedophiles online are getting "free" boners, too.

I think women should be doing these jobs.

Ajacoid

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nearly one-fifth of Americans think Obama is a Muslim. Thanks, Fox news, for acting like this was a matter of opinion, not fact.

CNN's KURTZ: Right, I haven’t heard anybody who works for Fox News saying the President is a Muslim. Of course, Obama stating that "the Islamic call to prayer is one of the prettiest sounds on earth," didn't help convince people who think he's a muslim change their minds.

25 percent of Americans don’t believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution while less than 40 percent do. Consider the fact that several of our newly elected officials, specifically newly elected Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, share that belief.

So what? What happened to liberals being tolerant to other views and beliefs? Does it harm you personally some people prefer to believe they were created in the image of some God, instead of having a chimp hanging down from the family tree?

Earlier this year, nearly 40 percent of Americans still believed the Sarah Palin-supported lie about "death panels" being included in health care reform.

Ask NY Times' Paul Krugman (quite a liberal) about this and he'll tell you: "At some point we have to decide how much we're willing to spend for extreme (health) care." The problem with health care is and likely will always be cost. Nothing in the bill addresses this issue. What do you think will happen with health care decisions when the money available is x and cost is x times y?

As of just a few years ago, about half of Americans still suspected a connection between Saddam Hussein and the attacks of September 11, a lie that was reinforced by none other than Dick Cheney.

Read this: Cheney: No link between Saddam Hussein, 9/11 - CNN and get back to me, ok?

While a hefty amount of this demonstrable cluelessness gets better as the respondents get younger, all is not well in the below-30 demographic. A majority of “young Americans” cannot identify Iraq or Afghanistan--the places their peers are fighting and dying--on a map.

A real testimonial to the effectiveness of public education. I suppose throwing more money yet at it will fix it? I wonder if students of private and charter schools would do better...

Two out of five Americans, despite the whole separation of church and state being a foundation of our democracy thing, think teachers should be able to lead prayer in classrooms. So it seems those right-wingers clamoring to tear down the wall between church and state aren’t the only ones who don’t know their constitutional principles.

Now you're just making sh*t up. Please provide the exact location of 'separation of church and state' in the founding documents (upon which our democracy "thing" is based): The Constitution and/or Declaration of Independence, or any Amendments to the Constitution. I do believe the founders of our Republic (we're not a Democracy after all) wrote something like "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator," by which I'm pretty sure they didn't mean some dude from planet Xenu...

It was Jefferson, a man with deep religious conviction, who wrote the phrase "wall of separation between church and state" in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 (and thus not any "official" founding or legislative document). Jefferson recognized the dangers of a head of state also being a religious leader, as with the church of England. This is what the founders addressed by formulating the "religion clauses" of First Amendment. Interestingly, liberals focus on the government can't endorse religion bit, but frequently ignore the government can't stop the free exercise of religion bit...

Many Americans still believe in witchcraft, ESP and other supernatural phenomena. Does that explain why Christine O’Donnell was so quick to deny her “dabbling”?

Maybe because tolerant, open-minded liberals (many of whom no doubt have some crystals hanging off the rear view mirrors of their Prius cars) were ridiculing her for it? That's just a guess on my part though. Also, Christians typically don't mix well with Pagans, and since she was trying to get the conservative vote, my guess is she wanted to not p*ss them off? Kinda like Obama denying he's a muslim. So what if he is? But enough people (including many Democrats) wouldn't vote for a muslim, as they would for an alleged Christian...

Speaking of antiquated religious beliefs, about a decade ago, 20 percent of Americans still believed that the sun revolves around the earth. That's just sad, considering that even the Vatican has let Galileo off the hook for being right.

More evidence that the public education system is doing wonders for our populous!

Only about half of Americans realize that Judaism is the oldest of the three monotheistic religions. Other examples of wild misunderstanding about religion and the separation of church and state can be found in this fall’s Pew survey on Americans’ religious knowledge.

Well, on one hand you want religion out of the class-room (see bogus separation of church and state comment above) and then you wonder why people aren't educated about religion?

This one made a huge splash when it appeared. In 2006 more Americans were able to name two of the “seven dwarves” than two of the Supreme Court justices. And that was before Kagan and Sotomayor showed up. To be fair, Happy and Sleepy are easy to remember.

And yet, those same people were allowed to vote, which explains how an empty suit, without any experience, but with nice speeches (on a teleprompter) and a couple of good catch phrases (Yes we can! Hope & Change!) became president. (As a side note, there are AAA baseball umpires more qualified to be on SCOTUS than both Kagan and Sotomayor.)

More Americans can identify the Three Stooges than the three branches of government--you know, the ones who are jockeying over our welfare.

More reason people should be able to pass a civics test before they can register to vote. As far as my welfare, I'm the only one I count on, because everybody else will just let you down!

I can't say I don't believe a couple of these things myself, but in another place in the article, they are being told that Obama has raised taxes! despite their being lowered for most of us...we are a laughing stock.

Changing withholding rates isn't the same as a tax cut. Tax rates stayed the same as established under the Bush administration, and will be going up by an average of 10% per household (even for those of us making less than the $250K) on January 1, 2011, when the Bush tax cuts expire, unless congress takes action before then. Side note, by reducing withholding rates, and keeping tax rates the same, many people will find an unpleasant surprise on April 15 next year...

Happy Thanksgiving!

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The whole American version of the story of the war for Texas Independence greatly exaggerates the freedoms the settlers were fighting for, and completely washes over the racism they were trying to bring to a Mexican territory.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
16 of the Dumbest Things Americans Believe -- And the Right-Wing Lies Behind Them | | AlterNet

Excerpt:

25 percent of Americans don’t believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution while less than 40 percent do. Consider the fact that several of our newly elected officials, specifically newly elected Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, share that belief.

:usa1:This thread has done its job and got everybody trying to show that they are smarter than the average American! :popcorn:

^^helgaleena that icon makes me suspect you are actually anticipating the posting of more right wing lies, such as this one: :smile:

One of the dumb things that Americans believe is the fear mongering lie that the bail out was necessary. Otherwise, they are told, the economy would collapse. That, they believe, is worse that a terrorist attack. That was a left wing lie...

^^The "fear mongering" about the American economy being in dire straits and in need of bailouts was no left wing lie, but a state of affairs which President Bush claimed to be true and discussed publicly in Sept. 2008. In that Sept. 2008 public address Bush pleaded to have his desired bailout plan implemented urgently. It was subsequently implemented just as previous Bush bailouts had been approved and implemented during his term in office:

YouTube - Bush On Economic Crisis

In Crucible of Crisis, Paulson, Bernanke, Geithner Forge a Committee of Three - washingtonpost.com

So what? What happened to liberals being tolerant to other views and beliefs? Does it harm you personally some people prefer to believe they were created in the image of some God, instead of having a chimp hanging down from the family tree?

Two out of five Americans, despite the whole separation of church and state being a foundation of our democracy thing, think teachers should be able to lead prayer in classrooms. So it seems those right-wingers clamoring to tear down the wall between church and state aren’t the only ones who don’t know their constitutional principles.

Now you're just making sh*t up...

Only about half of Americans realize that Judaism is the oldest of the three monotheistic religions. Other examples of wild misunderstanding about religion and the separation of church and state can be found in this fall’s Pew survey on Americans’ religious knowledge.

Well, on one hand you want religion out of the class-room (see bogus separation of church and state comment above) and then you wonder why people aren't educated about religion?

^^Ajacoid, your passages in brown text were not authored by heelgaleena, but Sarah Seltzer, the creator of the OP's article. Hence your responses should have been addressed to Seltzer.
BTW if Seltzer thought a "Young Earth" creationist, disbeliever of Darwin's theory was a dimwit, and held the opposite opinion of a believer of scientific method, that would not be example of intolerance.

Last edited:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A couple of pointers here -

Theory of evolution, well Darwin's has been modified an awful lot, & there are disparate sides - the evangelical zealot Dawkins, & the late great Stephen J Goulding. There are wholes in it everywhere, which in time will hopefully be ironed out (so it is a matter of faith), but there are always in science endless other possibilities -(Nobel prize winning DNA helix discoverers don't share the full view at all) & like religion it's important to escape dogma.

While not wishing to restart a debate - I cheerfully agree with you, whilst pointing out the statements "scientific fact" & "Science is self correcting" are very contradictory.

A fact is a fact. Maths is axiomatic within the boundaries it sets. We don't have perfect knowledge, so what science has is a relative consensus, which literally means that any belief can possibly be completely inverted. e.g the universe is expanding/contracting, glacial advancement/decline.

Scientists throughout history have always vigorously protected their (as it turned out) unfounded, or incorrect, beliefs as well, which is why though I agree with its wisdom,necessity & importance, it is always essential to be challenging,sceptical & provocative - not lost in one's own mythos.

I am not sure anyone could pack more wrong-headed opinions about science in one thread than you have.

What you describe is not challenging, sceptical, or provocative. It is simply uninformed.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More Americans can identify the Three Stooges than the three branches of government
Oh, ignorant, eh? :stooges:

Actually, there were six men altogether who at different times appeared as members of the comedy act called the Three Stooges: Moe, Larry, and four guys who passed through the third position.