Dumb tv commercials you hate

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Generally, I happen to be immune to TV commercials. I can't think of a single one that, upon seeing, made me run out to get that product. Nor am I usually given to buying/wearing name brand merchandise... not without damn good reason to.

Granted I did check out Geico insurance for a cost comparison, when my long held auto insurance carrier jacked up my rates for NO apparent reason (I'd had no accidents or tickets). But then I've done that every time since, no matter who the carrier.

Anyway, as discussed in the thread that inspired this one, "Dumb tv commercials you love," There ARE some I find truly entertaining. And then there are some I hate.

My first offering, ran around Christmas. It opened with some dry narrative (something about cellular service) and before you could figure out what's up, three or four animated... whatever they were... a ball, a tic-tac, a (dildo??) who knew, launched into some off note ditty that ended just as suddenly, as if in mid sentence, with, "...for a hundred bucks a month!" ...the end.

Wtf????

Feel free to post your nominees.

Last edited:

creek47

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That Gillette commercial that’s about social justice. I’m looking for a good razor. Want to compete better? Make a better blade than Dollar Shave Club and make it cheaper.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Thanks for your reply.

Re. insurance commercials, most of them leave me flat. Allstate's "mayhem" commercials funny as all hell, Geico's gecko damned clever, and their "more" commercials as well.

But their "does a ------- do (something) commercials are the worst (NEVER liked that wee wee wee piggy, nor that "humpday" camel), and most of Progressive's commercials (except where Flo visits her sister at her new house) are just boring white on white pablum, imo.

Tight_End_SC

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Right now here in the US, there is one that seems to come on way too much ... has a smoke detector that goes off and that noise is totally obnoxious. I have to either change the channel or mute the TV when that shit hits the screen. Honestly... never watched enough of it to actually tell you what they are advertising.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Posh Mark.

Supposedly you can buy haute couture fashions for pennies on the dollar, saving you hundreds. While at the same time you can make thousands selling your second hand designer goods.

Wanna explain how vastly underpriced items can sell while returning maximum dollar value to the seller? :mad:

Fuck you, Posh Mark, ya big fibber McGee's.

lms28

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Any “FarmersOnly” commercial. They are the absolute worst.

If I was a single farmer looking to join an online dating service, I would avoid “FarmersOnly” specifically BECAUSE of their ad campaign. Just terrible.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
O.K. I'll go over to the dark side and say those insipid real people, not actors commercials from Chevrolet top my list. How did an auto manufacturer that designed the Corvette ZO6 and the 650-horsepower Camaro ZL1 ever sign-on to these stupidly-staged commercials? And one would think after two-years of watching actor Potsch Boyd ask his transparently trick questions to a group of carefully pre-screened strangers, everybody would catch-on as to who he is. "What's America's number one car choice?" Uh, how about the Chevy Corvair that starred in Ralph Nader's book Unsafe at Any Speed?

Real People-Not Actors...and what's up with the butt of the woman in the center and how did that woman speaking get a double chin in her twenties? 2018 Chevrolet Cruze TV Commercial, 'All of the Features' [T2]

Using a Progressive commercial Real Actors-Not People to poke fun of Chevrolet: Progressive TV Commercial, 'Real Actors'

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Flo from progressive.

She annoys the living FUCK out of me.
Agreed. But not nearly as annoying as Progressive's talking... box? Is that what it is? Completely insipid.

And that new Cricket wireless commercial where the same animated... objects I mentioned earlier go "Hieeeeee" "Byeeeeeeeee." Absolutely moronic.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It doesn't rise to the level of hatred, but I think Mountain Dew completely misunderstands their target audience.

Younger, sure, but younger doesn't have to mean extreme athlete. It's people cramming for tests and staying up late to play video games.

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
It doesn't rise to the level of hatred, but I think Mountain Dew completely misunderstands their target audience.

Younger, sure, but younger doesn't have to mean extreme athlete. It's people cramming for tests and staying up late to play video games.
Not sure I agree....(please picture me in a madman inspired suit.....i am don draper ...looking cool and smug....you are pete cambell........it will really help my point....And since I know little about advertising.....I need the push)

The video game test framing droid is a bigger audience.....and my target.....but i want them to feel like they can connect to the HIP cool xtreme crowd....and by buying mountain dew they do that

Ads often on an emotional level say....hey I want to be like him (marboro man....the cool extreme athelete....even the moral upstanding Gillette razor guys...)

Or in my case....i want to be Huffman
Screenshot_2019-01-23-07-11-45.png

Oh yeah....day now now....day now bow

Another example is like truck comercials.....the ads show rugged Americana...macho construction workers and cowboys loading up a truck ...blazing a cross a field

But the target audience is a bunch of middle aged suburban dad's commuting to an office job

Commuting...like a rock....strong as they can be

Make a see commercial about some nerd studying for his chem test....or an incel playing all nighter of fortnight......hmmmm...I just don't think It would sell product

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure I agree....(please picture me in a madman inspired suit.....i am don draper ...looking cool and smug....you are pete cambell........it will really help my point....And since I know little about advertising.....I need the push)

The video game test framing droid is a bigger audience.....and my target.....but i want them to feel like they can connect to the HIP cool xtreme crowd....and by buying mountain dew they do that

Ads often on an emotional level say....hey I want to be like him (marboro man....the cool extreme athelete....even the moral upstanding Gillette razor guys...)

Or in my case....i want to be Huffman
View attachment 1486204

Oh yeah....day now now....day now bow

Another example is like truck comercials.....the ads show rugged Americana...macho construction workers and cowboys loading up a truck ...blazing a cross a field

But the target audience is a bunch of middle aged suburban dad's commuting to an office job

Commuting...like a rock....strong as they can be

Make a see commercial about some nerd studying for his chem test....or an incel playing all nighter of fortnight......hmmmm...I just don't think It would sell product

Truck commercials work though. Hummer ads were great.

But those mountain dew ads just make people roll their eyes. I don't know anyone who looks at those ads and feels like they want to become that person and mountain dew will get them there.

Any schlub can feel like they too could drive off road if they had a big truck. A big truck is a key part of doing that.

Drinking mountain dew just makes you fat.

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
Truck commercials work though. Hummer ads were great.

But those mountain dew ads just make people roll their eyes. I don't know anyone who looks at those ads and feels like they want to become that person and mountain dew will get them there.

Any schlub can feel like they too could drive off road if they had a big truck. A big truck is a key part of doing that.

Drinking mountain dew just makes you fat.
While I get the dew ad.... I personally hate mt dew

Funny thing I found out about it though.....

Its a huge seller for the Pepsi co.....however not many people buy it

But the people who DO LIKE IT.....drink a TON of mt drew

Now anecdotally....I remember in the army ....guys from Kentucky and West Virginia drank it like water......mt dew and a spit cup

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While I get the dew ad.... I personally hate mt dew

Funny thing I found out about it though.....

Its a huge seller for the Pepsi co.....however not many people buy it

But the people who DO LIKE IT.....drink a TON of mt drew

Now anecdotally....I remember in the army ....guys from Kentucky and West Virginia drank it like water......mt dew and a spit cup

I drank it like a fish in HS / college.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I drank it like a fish in HS / college.

I have a co-worker who literally *only* drinks Dew. Never water. Never anything but Dew. For like, 20 years now according to him.

To each their own, and he's a really chill dude... But I can't deny that it grosses me all the way out. I can barely drink a 1/4 of ANY soda, but a 12 pack of Mountain Dew a day? Makes me shudder just thinking about it :confounded:

Reactions: lms28 and TexanStar

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the commercial is for Verizon. The spokesgeek walks up to a guy on the street and asks something like "Would rather pay less for services you need or get services you want for free?" and the guy responds along the lines of "Both! Why didn't you just lead with that?" as another guy walks past and comments "It's like a pun!". Almost every time this commercial airs, I find myself wanting to shout at the television "It's not a f*cking pun!"