Dumbledore's Poof...and not the magical variety!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HazelGod, Oct 21, 2007.

1. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's right, boys and girls...the author has publicly outed the late Albus Dumbledore, greatest wizard of all time, as a 'mo.

Now the bible-thumping right-wingnut fundamentalists have yet another reason to decry the deviltry of her saga.

All that close interaction with young teenage Potter, and yet he didn't turn out gay? I guess Rowling doesn't subscribe to the "homosexuality as a communicable disease" theory, either.

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I love how she tells people to question authority. I agree with her, even though groups dislike her writing.. I believe that it is important for things as such to be brought up.

3. Blocko

Blocko Member

It would've been nice if she gave him a few more kinks... I would've liked a more deviant Dumbledore.

4. eaglespga88

eaglespga88 New Member

how is it important for things like that to be brought up? thats preposterous, she is childrens book author, not a member of the british parliament. And who gives a hoot if groups dislike her writing. Big deal, shes made her money..tons of it...so why does it even matter what they think? She got her cut. I am a red-blooded, God-fearing christian, but I love her writing. The "groups" who dislike it are mostly just the extreme religion fanatics. Every religion has a sect of them...its not enought to hamper rowlings earnings anyways. I dont agree however that an influencer of children says to question authority. How is questioning authority gonna help anything? Its not..unless your idea of a better world is full of lawbreaking.

5. trappedinthecloset

trappedinthecloset New Member

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

We maintain freedom through questioning authority.

Authority is something which we bestow on others; those in authority have a responsibility to us and should be accountable.

It's not that difficult.

7. Willy_the_Wonka

Willy_the_Wonka New Member

Albums:
  8. eaglespga88

eaglespga88 New Member

Im not gonna apologize for abiding by the rules. Some people are happy to be square :p I almost forgot about that commercial wonka, hahaha!

9. kundalinikat

kundalinikat Member

It also was not her idea to bring it up, see the link to the news story above. Someone asked at a book signing whether Dumbledore had ever loved someone, and she said "He's gay actually." and everyone cheered and applauded and she said, "If I'd known you'd react this well I would have told you sooner..."

10. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol...it just seems so inane. if J.K never announced it, i would've never guessed. there were ZERO hints that Dumbledore was homowizard.

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You shouldn't, so long as you engaged in creating and approving them :wink:

12. Osiris

Gold Member

You got that right. J.K. Rowling through her writing and moreso through the characters of Harry, Hermoine and Ron, show that you don't have to be in the "in" crowd to be somebody and that through knowledge, reason, temperance, and compassion for all you can conquer anything. Fitting that Dumbledore would be gay, he set the example of acceptance.

I agree on the religious zealots, but disagree on the questioning of authority. I am sure this one "Harry Hater" at church will further use this to explain how "J.K. Rowling is a harbinger of the apocolypse". I love her work and think she has done something great for the young readers. Harry and his friends constantly questioned authority, but it wasn't rebellious in nature, it was to get a the truth and gain understanding. Questioning authority and defying authority are two different things. I welcome my kids to question certain decisions and to make their case. I am not always infallible, but I am not always wrong. I raised a young cousin by this tennet, he is now in law school studying to become a civil liberties attorney. Had he not learned the value of questioning, he would not be on such a wonderful path. The lawbreaking kids you mention are those who defy authority, like my stepson who got a rude awakening this week when he spent yet another 2 nights in jail. He will learn the results of his bad choices and disrespect for authority.

Again, questioning and defiance are two very different things.

13. eaglespga88

eaglespga88 New Member

Touche and Touche :) You both made me smile :)

14. Willy_the_Wonka

Albums:
  15. frizzle

Gold Member

Think she's just trying to promote her book again. Quite crude really.

16. Osiris

Gold Member

You could be right. She may need the cash for a trip to Hermes. :wink:

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Osiris beat me to it.

And you should never forget that Jesus himself questioned authority, and even at times, rebelled.

It's not always a bad thing.

18. Willy_the_Wonka

Albums:
    Well, I've not read the books or seen the movies, and this news is not likely to change that. :smile:

19. frizzle

Gold Member

Ahh but any publicity is good publicity right?

20. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with Frizzle, I don't want to be too cynical, but why tell us this after the books have been published?

It would have been nice to have known during rather than after the series ended.

I don't feel it's a marketing ploy, after all, she's richer than the Queen.....more a case of 'it's ok to say it now as it wouldn't hurt sales'.

Draft saved Draft deleted